IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

On 10/30/2021 at 4:50 PM, AustinBike said:

Wow, you can see the paint from an aerial pic, is that the new EB route? 😄

Just this weekend when riding the EB, I was wondering how many people are still around who remember this long running joke/not-joke?  I'm glad that there are still some people out there to not let it die.  Orange paint FTW!

-CJB

• Like 7

On 11/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Anyone seen the trails since Friday?

My daughter and I tried to ride Sat PM. Trails were still tacky. No Ruts but collected on tires. We bailed after 1/4 lap of peddlers and rode the Brushy Creek Fishing Trails and H&B to 183 and back. I think the heavy dew and cool nights are really slowing the final bit of evaporation. I have a spot in my yard that I use to gauge the trails because my dog gets muddy paws going through it and it hasn't dried out either. It's like those rope weather stations:

image.png.1b94d6e961db8ee3e3685c52425fe28a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

My daughter and I tried to ride Sat PM. Trails were still tacky. No Ruts but collected on tires. We bailed after 1/4 lap of peddlers and rode the Brushy Creek Fishing Trails and H&B to 183 and back. I think the heavy dew and cool nights are really slowing the final bit of evaporation. I have a spot in my yard that I use to gauge the trails because my dog gets muddy paws going through it and it hasn't dried out either. It's like those rope weather stations:

Rode SN yesterday and every low spot is either wet, very wet, or muddy. Needs a couple more days.

58 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I Knew it was coming, but had not seen this site yet. Definitely mixed emotions😂

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Bummer, as well used as that will get, I will miss that south section of SN. It's a little slice of Texas in the middle of suburbia. 

Based on the maps, it seems like a lot of the existing SN trail might be spared. Sure, the long, straight section that runs along the creek looks like it's history, but to be honest that part of the trail is relatively flat and featureless. When I first saw the post, I thought this might be the end of SN altogether, but hopefully that's not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

Based on the maps, it seems like a lot of the existing SN trail might be spared. Sure, the long, straight section that runs along the creek looks like it's history, but to be honest that part of the trail is relatively flat and featureless. When I first saw the post, I thought this might be the end of SN altogether, but hopefully that's not the case.

Yes, Lots of the "lollypop" trails and new hillside trails could probably be saved with some work as long as it stays blessed by the city/county. I could see them wanting to block them...? I actually really enjoy the straight featureless trail, it's one of the more scenic sections and its a good warmup/cool down for the S-N-S direction I usually ride it.

Building Session this Saturday morning at 9:00am.

The County has approved a new section of trail that goes from the intersection of Rim and Bob Ross over to the Jeep Road. The plan for Saturday is to remove brush, trim trees, remove stumps, harvest rocks for a creek crossings, and start work on a major bench cut. 

Meet at the intersection of Rim and Bob Ross at 9:00am. Bring gloves, water, rakes, saws, and pickaxes.

Work Area.jpg

• Like 1

FYI just got done riding SN and the church area. Most is okay with the normal low spots still muddy by the creek. 

However, I don't recommend riding hog jaw. There is very deep mud and water in the middle of every dip and about a 30 feet long section of straight up swamp mud on the back side.

There is even running water moving down a rocky part of the trail on a high side. Must be a spring or something.

You get some good speed on those drops and the deep mud right at the transition makes things real sketchy in addition to creating 6 inch deep ruts. I made a meager attempt to fix the ruts but ended up losing a shoe in the mud and gave up. 

The dips and the back section will need work to fix very deep ruts when it dries out. 

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 10:58 AM, HoneyBadger said:

Building Session this Saturday morning at 9:00am.

The County has approved a new section of trail that goes from the intersection of Rim and Bob Ross over to the Jeep Road. The plan for Saturday is to remove brush, trim trees, remove stumps, harvest rocks for a creek crossings, and start work on a major bench cut. 

Meet at the intersection of Rim and Bob Ross at 9:00am. Bring gloves, water, rakes, saws, and pickaxes.

Work Area.jpg

There is another build session this Sunday, December 12th at 930 for anyone that wants to join. It was posted on FB, but some of you don’t watch those groups. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, GFisher said:

So Brushy is too wet to ride but the race at Peddler's Pass is a go? 😐

Typically how races work, rain or shine. Todd and team will be out there repairing any damage on the race course caused by the race. 

Feel free to ride the trails, but they’re going to be super slick and you’re going to get a lot of dirt pickup and rutting in low spots. 

• Thanks 1

Was walking the dogs from the Y this morn. About 100 yds from the lake right at the first bench a new fall line bandit trail has popped up. It's  straight down at 90 degrees to the trail and steep so going to throw you onto the pavement at speed. No bueno!

Edited by Chongo Loco

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really diggin' Line#6 on Snail. Big props to whoever laid down that new track! I'm not a big fan of skinnies, but that one is really well designed. It's wide enough to limit failures but high enough to make you pay the price if you do fail. I haven't actually tried it yet but I've been really enjoying the obstacles on the alt line to the left of the skinny. Love the little rock stack feature further down as well, right before you drop into the little dip. And then that massive G-out towards the end is exhilarating. Nicely done! 

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted to facebook today (Sunday, Jan 30, 2022) by Ronan O'Connor, Austin Ridge Riders Brushy Creek Trail Steward.

#brushycreek Major Improvements News. This is a long post, but please read all of it so you know the ultimate goal when you see small changes over the next year.

The new trail "The Bowl" should be open next week, thanks to the 50 people that came out and helped work on it yesterday. It will become the new lower entrance to Rim and Bob Ross. I'm just waiting for a final walk through by the county before i can open it.

The Bowl is the first step in improving saftey at Brushy by reducing pedestrian/ bicycle conflicts.

The biggest part of this project will be connecting several trails to make a 9-10 mile loop so mtb'ers won't have to get on and off the concrete BCRT to access trails.

The loop will be:

1. Start at 1/4 notch

2. Double Down

3. Bob Ross

4. Rim Trail (lollipop route)

5. The Bowl (from the intersection of Bob Ross/Rim to the jeep Road)

6. New currently unnamed trail (from the jeep road to the intersection of picnix/Double Down)

7. Picnix

8. Picnic.

The new connector trails will create more out and back options as well. You could ride

1. Picnic

2. New unamed trail

3. The Bowl

4. Rim

5. Bob Ross

6. Jeep Road

7. New unamed trail

8. Picnic.

All without touching the concrete

There are several other things happening during this project.

1. 1/4 notch will have a loop option. Halfway down the 1/4 Notch Bailout there will a new trail to the right that will lead to the " Cattle Trail" in the open feild near the start of 1/4 Notch. You will still be able to go to the end of the Bailout and access the BCRT or Picnic.

2. Large cedar fence chicane's will be placed at the end of the jeep road and the 1/4 Notch Bailout. This is been done to stop people entering the BCRT at high speed, which happens all the time and causes lots of conflicts with people using the BCRT. The chicanes are going to be big and easy to ride through, but you will have to slow down. They will be highly visible so people won't be surprised and ride into them.

3. The trail next to the pipe rail fence inbetween the jeep road and short trail leading to Rim (the one where you cross the creek at the end and can get air coming out of the creek) has been closed. This trail was unsanctioned and caused many conflicts when mtb'ers jumped out of the creek onto the BCRT. Pedestrians and runners haven been hit by mtb'ers in this spot. I know everyone liked the jump out of the creek (myself inculded), but in the grand scheme closing it is a small concession to create two loops at Brushy.

4. The short trail from the BCRT to the intersection of Rim and Bob Ross will be closed and replaced by The Bowl. It will remain open until The Bowl is approved by the county.

5. The kiosk maps will be updated to show the new trails.

6. The Map kiosk near the entrance to Rim will be relocated to either the intersection of The Bowl and the jeep road or the intersection of The Bowl/Bob Ross/Rim.

7. The intersection of the jeep road and the BCRT will be improved to have better visibility and reduce mud been tracked onto the BCRT.

8. The intersecton of Picnic/Double Down/ BCRT will be improved to stop mud getting onto the BCRT. These improvements will included a chicane and fencing.

Once everything has been completed we will have, a safer trail system, fewer bike/pedestrian conflicts, more continuous dirt to ride, and more route options.

There is alot of work to be done, so if you see a build day please come and help (no trail building experience required). If you see us working on the trail please stop give us a hand for a few minutes. If every rider stopped and helped for 10 minutes it would be a HUGE help.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten used to going down on the left here where there used to be a stack of rocks. Yesterday though I got to the edge and noticed that they were completely gone. Luckily, I got my feet down before plunging over. Anybody know if that was an intended change? I don't have a problem either way, but given that they've been there for the past five years, it becomes a hazard when they just suddenly disappear. 

image.thumb.png.314c04b1d6790f401da7fc44c648600a.png

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, throet said:

I've gotten used to going down on the left here where there used to be a stack of rocks. Yesterday though I got to the edge and noticed that they were completely gone. Luckily, I got my feet down before plunging over. Anybody know if that was an intended change? I don't have a problem either way, but given that they've been there for the past five years, it becomes a hazard when they just suddenly disappear.

Same here!  I liked having the rolling option.  I almost tried to replace them, but wondered the same thing, was this intentional?

• Like 1