IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

I looked at this hole quite a bit once.  I think people have added rocks but they've already been covered with mud.  It seems like building some kind of silt filter up "stream" and cutting a drainage ditch down "stream" should help things out.   Just cutting a little channel downstream drains it.  Riding through it makes ruts again that block the water from flowing.   The other option is to armor it with flat rocks, and keeping the downstream side very clear.  Think of something like the armored crossings at Walnut Creek.  It's no big deal riding through the armored puddles when it's very wet.  It's either that or building a small bridge.

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

That area has TONS of 1 to 3 inch rocks. Just need to take buckets and load it in real heavy. I got a newborn so getting out is pretty tough. If someone wants to head this up and get some people together I can at least bring supplies

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Let me see what I can do. Congrats on the kiddo! 

7 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I’m actually considering just building a large 6 by 8 foot plank out of 2x10’s and laying it across. I think that’ll keep water moving underneath it, and not disrupt the feature of the trail too much. 

Let me know if you need help with that. 

26 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I’m actually considering just building a large 6 by 8 foot plank out of 2x10’s and laying it across. I think that’ll keep water moving underneath it, and not disrupt the feature of the trail too much. 

Sounds like a great solution if approved by the appropriate parties.  However, I would request some kind of grip tape or textured paint or something (I'm happy to help).  My last 2 meaningful crashes have been on wet wooden features and given that this is to mitigate mud, I would expect it will be damp for long periods at a time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I'll help you with that if needed 

22 minutes ago, TheSarge said:

Sounds like a great solution if approved by the appropriate parties.  However, I would request some kind of grip tape or textured paint or something (I'm happy to help).  My last 2 meaningful crashes have been on wet wooden features and given that this is to mitigate mud, I would expect it will be damp for long periods at a time.

Chicken wire.

• Like 1

I looked at this hole quite a bit once.  I think people have added rocks but they've already been covered with mud.  It seems like building some kind of silt filter up "stream" and cutting a drainage ditch down "stream" should help things out.   Just cutting a little channel downstream drains it.  Riding through it makes ruts again that block the water from flowing.   The other option is to armor it with flat rocks, and keeping the downstream side very clear.  Think of something like the armored crossings at Walnut Creek.  It's no big deal riding through the armored puddles when it's very wet.  It's either that or building a small bridge.

People threw a few random big rocks in there. It needs to be packed with a TON of SMALL rocks. The small rocks lock together. Big rocks unless real big and submerged and locked in with keystone rocks will work for a bit until they have erosion and work loose. That entire area is a drainage ditch. It just needs some upkeep to knock build up out. The Walnut crossing is a great example of what could be done though.

• Like 1

It will work for a bit. But once the drainage pushes dirt and debris and clogs under then water will likely stop before it and then flow over it causing a wet wood feature. Plus over time the wood will warp and sag . Then it will be a mud pit with slippery wood. I'm not gonna say dont do it. Just I've seen this done before. If you have a bunch of wood. The Gnargasm wood feature needs a new top.

ALSO I have a small reroute planned in there that may effect things. I will definitely need help to make this project work once it is approved. Mostly the project is to not have the Cru Jones drop terminate into the bcrt, but it will effect the last 50 to 100 yds of trail . The only thing I'm waiting on is approval from CP Parks to take a machine over there since that spot is on their property.

16 hours ago, First-Blood said:

It will work for a bit. But once the drainage pushes dirt and debris and clogs under then water will likely stop before it and then flow over it causing a wet wood feature. Plus over time the wood will warp and sag . Then it will be a mud pit with slippery wood. I'm not gonna say dont do it. Just I've seen this done before. If you have a bunch of wood. The Gnargasm wood feature needs a new top.

ALSO I have a small reroute planned in there that may effect things. I will definitely need help to make this project work once it is approved. Mostly the project is to not have the Cru Jones drop terminate into the bcrt, but it will effect the last 50 to 100 yds of trail . The only thing I'm waiting on is approval from CP Parks to take a machine over there since that spot is on their property.

don't you already have this approval?

What's with the rock placements on Dave's Glitch? Looks like somebody came through and placed a very large rock right in front of the root at the bottom of the g-out, which is directly in the line that I ride through there when heading E-W on Rim. I can't imagine that was helping anybody. I rode over it but it definitely slowed my momentum getting up the other side. Aside from that, it was a glorious day on the trails, especially after finally getting bike #1 back from the shop with a free Reverb replacement. 

What's with the rock placements on Dave's Glitch? Looks like somebody came through and placed a very large rock right in front of the root at the bottom of the g-out, which is directly in the line that I ride through there when heading E-W on Rim. I can't imagine that was helping anybody. I rode over it but it definitely slowed my momentum getting up the other side. Aside from that, it was a glorious day on the trails, especially after finally getting bike #1 back from the shop with a free Reverb replacement. 
Dummy doing dumb things. Move it out of there if you get a sec.

Planning to hit it Saturday. I’m imagining there will be quite a crowd with hero dirt and temps. I’ve got my “GET A FUCKING HELMET!” bark ready to go. 

When we built this thing I was picturing having it to ourselves. Wtf? Nah, it’s cool to see cars and trucks in the area with bikes on the back headed to the Sports Park. Kinda crazy really. 

Had a nice nostalgic ride yesterday. Temps were unreal and dirt was choice.  Somehow I managed to ride pretty slowly but keep nice flow AND have alot of fun.  I was remembering things like the days when all we had were loppers and garden hoes. Lol. That’s the first maybe .5 to .67 miles or so of East Deception...the skinny single track...then the McLeods arrived. 

My attempt to ride Rawk Garten at the West end of Deception was prettttyyyy sad. I made up for it by beasting up a short, steep climb that goes left out of the Ditch and hooks into the end of Rim. That pretty much popped me. 

Again, very thankful to all who help maintain and defend the trail. Really awesome. 

• Like 5

The rocks on Double Down and the connector over to Rim were slick as snot this morning. I guess it was just due to a really heavy dew. After popping a spoke I went over and rode Peddlers, which was fabulous. Need to get my spoke replaced so I can get back out there tomorrow. Need to get over to Candyland since I haven't ridden those sections in a good while. 

42 minutes ago, throet said:

The rocks on Double Down and the connector over to Rim were slick as snot this morning. I guess it was just due to a really heavy dew. After popping a spoke I went over and rode Peddlers, which was fabulous. Need to get my spoke replaced so I can get back out there tomorrow. Need to get over to Candyland since I haven't ridden those sections in a good while. 

Speaking of candyland...ugh...had a poo the bibs moment yesterday on gnargasm. Clipped a tree with a shoulder and kinda blipped toward the exposed edge. Another blip and I was finding out what falling down the whole thing is like. Crazy how time off the bike affects handling just enough to do that, and crazy how we take for granted how close to disaster we are riding these bikes n trails. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morealice said:

Planning to hit it Saturday. I’m imagining there will be quite a crowd with hero dirt and temps. I’ve got my “GET A FUCKING HELMET!” bark ready to go. 

When we built this thing I was picturing having it to ourselves. Wtf? Nah, it’s cool to see cars and trucks in the area with bikes on the back headed to the Sports Park. Kinda crazy really. 

Had a nice nostalgic ride yesterday. Temps were unreal and dirt was choice.  Somehow I managed to ride pretty slowly but keep nice flow AND have alot of fun.  I was remembering things like the days when all we had were loppers and garden hoes. Lol. That’s the first maybe .5 to .67 miles or so of East Deception...the skinny single track...then the McLeods arrived. 

My attempt to ride Rawk Garten at the West end of Deception was prettttyyyy sad. I made up for it by beasting up a short, steep climb that goes left out of the Ditch and hooks into the end of Rim. That pretty much popped me. 

Again, very thankful to all who help maintain and defend the trail. Really awesome. 

Where you on the black cross bike?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cafeend said:

Where you on the black cross bike?

That was probably me. Not really a cross bike, or even a monstercross. It's a fat bike set up with 29er wheels and a drop bar. I call it a monstertour. And it's black and was there last night from dusk to about 7.

• Like 1