IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Anyone braving the cold and riding today? I can't recall rain recently but I'm guessing there may be ice in the normally wet low spots. Went for a run yesterday evening when it was about 20 degrees and it wasn't too bad with just shorts, long sleeves, beanie, and gloves. But the wind will make it colder on the bike so we'll see how long I make it!

Next week looks solid weather wise.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2

Only made it for about 30 minutes running Peddlers and Mulligan. Cold wasn't too bad with the sun but it is still pretty windy and I'm glad I brought heavier gloves and a ski mask. I probably looked like part of a rogue MTB gang.

The rocks in the drainage area dip right before the concrete path on Peddlers was icy and I walked that but other than that one place it was good. Mulligan was full of ice in the normal low spots and some random spots I didn't expect water. Almost ate it on some I didn't see so called it a day because I figured 1/4 would be the same.

In summary, cold as hell but doable with the sun. Rocks and low spots are icy, dirt is fine.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 2:31 PM, quixoft said:

Whoever made the current cedar log path through the Hogjaw swamp area, thank you!

That spot was always a mess even if it hadn't rained in weeks. Much, much better with the log trail!

(THE) George and I started it impromptu but was really happy to see others were inspired and finished what we couldn’t.  We need to do this in a few more spots on the boat trails area.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, AntonioGG said:

(THE) George and I started it impromptu but was really happy to see others were inspired and finished what we couldn’t.  We need to do this in a few more spots on the boat trails area.

Went out again yesterday and the logs were strewn all over the place.  Not sure what happened but it looked like hogs tore it up. At least that's what the ground around it indicated. I've never seen hogs out there though. 

I repositioned many of them but it was a right mess

Edited by quixoft

On 12/29/2022 at 5:31 PM, quixoft said:

Went out again yesterday and the logs were strewn all over the place.  Not sure what happened but it looked like hogs tore it up. At least that's what the ground around it indicated. I've never seen hogs out there though. 

I repositioned many of them but it was a right mess

Pretty sure Eric (Rugger) had a rant against these log piles.He may be disassembling them.

3 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Pretty sure Eric (Rugger) had a rant against these log piles.He may be disassembling them.

I would like to be educated as to the reason for that.  These are not piles, but rather just sticks laid out in the mud (no rocks in the area).

This is before someone went and finished the job:

Edited by AntonioGG

My rant was a gripe and education. This is not a solution, this is a half-measure that IS potentially dangerous and costly. If these logs are placed without being secured they will (ARE) failing to stay put. The will become impalement hazardous - impaling people, wheels, and derailleurs, etc. 

That said, no, I am not sabotaging this "work", I haven't touched this crap, except to roll over it. 

• Like 2