IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Exactly I caught myself looking at the 50% off road bikes at the Round Rock REI but forced myself to walk away because I know that 1 having a CX bike plus a road bike is not necessary and 2 it would be another bike that I would spend way too much money on upgrading.

I do already have a CX bike, although it's currently hooked up to a trainer that I use with Zwift.  I don't really have any desire to purchase a road bike. 🙂

What I usually ride on roads, concrete and crushed granite (when I'm not on a mountain bike) is a Specialized Crosstrail hybrid. It's a lot heavier than the CX, but more comfortable for me to ride long distances. And I can take it on milder mountain bike trails if need be.  

..Al

1 hour ago, bestbike85 said:

Just got back from cruising around the hike and bike trails around brushy. The entire park is a wreck and I saw over a dozen people riding peddlers pass. Pissed. I walked the new section and it looks solid. Needs some tread to break it in when it dries out. 

I’m confused on how anyone could have a fun ride with peddlers in its current condition. The rollers are full of water and everything is just muddy which must create a nightmare of a bike clean up. Ronan has more patience than anyone I know to not stand out on the trail and swing at people with a shovel after all the hours he’s put in. I hope there isn’t too much repair that’s needed since his focus is grooming the new section. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

I’m confused on how anyone could have a fun ride with peddlers in its current condition. The rollers are full of water and everything is just muddy which must create a nightmare of a bike clean up. Ronan has more patience than anyone I know to not stand out on the trail and swing at people with a shovel after all the hours he’s put in. I hope there isn’t too much repair that’s needed since his focus is grooming the new section. 

True.  The hike and bike trail was a pain too with people walking 4 wide and taking pictures.  Hopefully it will be better today and w/ a little luck maybe the trails will be okay to ride next weekend.

17 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

I went and rode the main trail yesterday around 3 or so. Ran into Honey Badger and a couple of other riders fro the 'hood. Made my way over to the skate park and ran into a couple of other riders. One of them had a real muddy bike, so I ask him if he has been riding trail and he affirmed he had. I asked if they were ridable and he said well everything is "ridable". I asked where he rode and he said he was on Peddler's and he said he went and help burn in the new trail and was talking about how wet the rollers were. He. Had. No. Idea. Not a clue. 

• Sad 2

Being the optimistic sort, I got out late today, about 5, to see if anything had cleared at all with the sun and the wind of this afternoon.   Ran into a couple guys on the way up from BCRT to the start of 1/4 Notch, stopped for a second, talked...they said it was sloppy, slidey and messy.  Rideable in spots, but overall, it's crappy.  They were right!  I turned around on 1/4 Notch shortly after I started.  Called it a day.  

Was that anyone here?

i actually really like slidey rocks...really keeps your bike handling skills in tune.  It's just the mud.  Too.  Much.  Mud.  Gonna need a bit more time...

Yea, we watch your report, too (thanks for doing that, btw!). I've talked with you by your house before.  I was hopeful the sun and wind moved things along this afternoon.  Some parts were ok, but it's moslty a wreck...

Edited by 2112Greg

I've found an effective way of stopping some riders on muddy trails is by looking at the Strava Flybys to see who has ridden, then send them add a nice comment on their ride asking them to not ride muddy trails etc. Then I ask them to check the Brushy Creek Twitter feed before they go and ride. I've had mostly good responses so far. You'd be very surprised at some of the people you see on Strava riding muddy trails, many of them know better.

• Thanks 1

Just walked out to Carcass Cafe and new section being added. Still way too wet in the shaded areas but it’s getting drier - especially in the non shaded sections. New trail being added is all aces. Thx to HoneyBadger for all the work and excellent design and flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I'm going to ask the city if I can place a chain across the entrance to Peddlers Pass when the trail is too muddy to ride with a sign hanging from it stating the trail is closed due to muddy conditions.

This appears to be the ONLY thing that works. And even then I find mtb tracks on Slaughter Creek Trail when it has been closed.