IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

6 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I'm going to ask the city if I can place a chain across the entrance to Peddlers Pass when the trail is too muddy to ride with a sign hanging from it stating the trail is closed due to muddy conditions.

They need to get on building that fence under the bridge to keep people from entering right in the super muddy section.  Even with that fence, I would think you would need two sets of barriers since a lot of people go directly into the west portion and would bypass the chain on the east side.  Hopefully they let you put up something that might protect the trail.  

I don’t understand why prominent signage wouldn’t be acceptable to the county.

8cc1020462030dfc41868481eb8c316b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For starters...they wont pay for it

Secondly...they dont care because they dont have to maintain the trails

Thirdly if signs were installed and not paid for by them they view it as another item to maintain.

Fourthly ..because Wilco Parks really DOES NOT CARE about our kind of trails. They put up with it not seek to make it an amenity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

For starters...they wont pay for it

Secondly...they dont care because they dont have to maintain the trails

Thirdly if signs were installed and not paid for by them they view it as another item to maintain.

Fourthly ..because Wilco Parks really DOES NOT CARE about our kind of trails. They put up with it not seek to make it an amenity.

If they wont pay, can we?

If they do not pay or install the sign(s) then what exactly is the maintenance involved in signs? They kind of dont really require much

• Like 2

If they wont pay, can we?
If they do not pay or install the sign(s) then what exactly is the maintenance involved in signs? They kind of dont really require much

It's worth inquiring about if the intrest is there to have it funded by riders. ARR gave the money for the kiosks. Wilco printed the maps but used sub standard product due to them being cheap. So we may need to go to ARR in near future to get quality maps printed.
And to put the maintenance aspect into perspective. They dont have to maintain the kiosks either. But they sited maintenance needs for all of them such as vandalism repair, and even wasp nest mitigation. Hahah. I was confused and said that doesn't seen to bad. They said it was when it just adds to the multitude of other things they upkeep and anything added has an impact. I just think they dont like agreeing with us at times.
But we can always ask.
Thanks

As far as sign maintenance goes they don't even maintain the signs that they installed for the hike and bike that point out natural features. I would think if we want signage it would be up to us to install and maintain. As far as the county being overburdened with upkeep, I don't know that I've ever seen any upkeep actually being performed at brushy. Aside from cleaning the hike and bike when we get a real turd floater rain.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chief said:

As far as sign maintenance goes they don't even maintain the signs that they installed for the hike and bike that point out natural features. I would think if we want signage it would be up to us to install and maintain. As far as the county being overburdened with upkeep, I don't know that I've ever seen any upkeep actually being performed at brushy. Aside from cleaning the hike and bike when we get a real turd floater rain.

I agree, I don't think I've ever seen the county maintaining the BCRT. I do see Cedar Park staff doing maintenance all the time on their portion of the BCRT

8 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

I agree, I don't think I've ever seen the county maintaining the BCRT. I do see Cedar Park staff doing maintenance all the time on their portion of the BCRT

Devil's advocate: I don't know who is doing it but I've ridden the BCRT after several of our Rainstorms over the last 2 years where we got 2"+ overnight and within days someone has been out there with fresh crushed rock to fill all of the trenches caused by the runoff or at least orange cones showing the "Danger". I've also seen the concrete portions cleared of any accumulated crushed rock. I've actually been impressed with the rapid response. My guess is that they probably had a runner threaten over a rolled ankle or something. 

The nature signs have always been blank/vandalized/ unreadable for as long as I've seen them though. 

It's clear their goals for the trail are safety/ liability control. 

Edited by RedRider3141

29 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Devil's advocate: I don't know who is doing it but I've ridden the BCRT after several of our Rainstorms over the last 2 years where we got 2"+ overnight and within days someone has been out there with fresh crushed rock to fill all of the trenches caused by the runoff or at least orange cones showing the "Danger". I've also seen the concrete portions cleared of any accumulated crushed rock. I've actually been impressed with the rapid response. My guess is that they probably had a runner threaten over a rolled ankle or something. 

The nature signs have always been blank/vandalized/ unreadable for as long as I've seen them though. 

It's clear their goals for the trail are safety/ liability control. 

Last time i saw the crushed granite replaced it was Cedar Park working on it.

• Like 1

Cedar Park is very good about repairing damage to their portions of the BCRT.  I've seen them out many times putting down fresh crushed granite over the years, and they also built several culverts in the recent past to help prevent standing water in many locations.  

I agree. I'm just citing their responses I have heard. They love to say no.
We cant have more trail because of you ..you know....the Indian artifacts obviously. They are everywhere!

• Like 2

Cedar Park is very good about repairing damage to their portions of the BCRT.  I've seen them out many times putting down fresh crushed granite over the years, and they also built several culverts in the recent past to help prevent standing water in many locations.  
That's Wilco. They own the BCRT. Yes they are good about the bcrt. It's their main thing they are responsible for in and around the parks they cover.

1 minute ago, First-Blood said:

That's Wilco. They own the BCRT. Yes they are good about the bcrt. It's their main thing they are responsible for in and around the parks they cover.

Good to know, thanks.  Are they only responsible for this portion fo the BCRT (that is, from where it starts on Harry Man Road to the YMCA)?  There are other portions in Round Rock.  Is Cedar Park not involved in management of the trail and/or parks?

Good to know, thanks.  Are they only responsible for this portion fo the BCRT (that is, from where it starts on Harry Man Road to the YMCA)?  There are other portions in Round Rock.  Is Cedar Park not involved in management of the trail and/or parks?
I dont know what specifically each cities lease is with Wilco or what it states as responsible for what. But Wilco basically leased all the land for the stretch of the BCRT from Twin Lakes to Great Oaks. I have never seen Cedar Park maintain any of the bcrt itself in their stretch of land. But CP still owns and manages the parks the trail goes through. The east portion of BCRT that sits in Round Rock is owned and maintained by Round Rock as far as I know.