IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Hard to believe that on a day like today after so much wet weather I had the trail all to myself this afternoon. Rode Snail, Rim, Picnic, Mulligan, Deception, and Rim again. Never even ran into anybody, except a group that had me hemmed up on Rim for a few minutes before they turned left at the end, and I turned right to hit Up-and-Over. It's amazing how sometimes you can feel really sharp after a couple of weeks off the bike. Didn't have the legs for a lot of climbing, but definitely had the energy and awareness needed to attack all the tricky features. Suppose the cooler weather helps too. Will see how it goes tomorrow when it's a bit warmer. 

• Like 3

Yesterday I rode 2 hours and saw no one at all. Then finally saw 2 other riders. Maybe that's because people work Friday mornings?
Today I had a quickie and did did just the whole of 1/4 and PX. Only surprisingly saw one other guy. Nice having trails to myself

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Albert said:

I was going to ride today, but I'm a pussy and didn't want to ride in the cold, so I'll ride tomorrow instead.

Ha, that was me today. I finally headed out at 4:30 and had a good ride until dark.

Speaking of which...

Because I've been away from my bikes a while, I am not familiar with all the trails built out at brushy creek. I have ridden deception for a a few years and knew of picnic, but I'm surprised at how much trail there is now. It's a lot of good trail.

So I took rim trail to it's end, where it drops into the limestone ditch near the park boundary. I followed that downstream (towards the main trail) to the first drop. What's the name of this? Heading downstream, 183A is on the left.

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Dave's Ditch. I didnt ride it on Thursday as there was still plenty of water at the top and the limestone gets super sick. I'll check it out again tomorrow. 

Thanks. The water was just a trickle tonight, but I'm going to head back to check out the rest soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brentb said:

Ha, that was me today. I finally headed out at 4:30 and had a good ride until dark.

Speaking of which...

Because I've been away from my bikes a while, I am not familiar with all the trails built out at brushy creek. I have ridden deception for a a few years and knew of picnic, but I'm surprised at how much trail there is now. It's a lot of good trail.

So I took rim trail to it's end, where it drops into the limestone ditch near the park boundary. I followed that downstream (towards the main trail) to the first drop. What's the name of this? Heading downstream, 183A is on the left.

here a great reference map:

https://caltopo.com/m/6DN1

• Like 5

15 hours ago, throet said:

It's amazing how sometimes you can feel really sharp after a couple of weeks off the bike. Didn't have the legs for a lot of climbing, but definitely had the energy and awareness needed to attack all the tricky features. Suppose the cooler weather helps too. Will see how it goes tomorrow when it's a bit warmer. 

I find the same myself. Sucks not riding but a lot of times when I come off a period of not riding all the features seem easier.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Sweet cal topo layout. Always considered doing this. Good job. I might clean it up a bit and use this in future for people.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Let me and Rugger get ahold of that as well, then you’ll have so many labels it’ll obscure the actual trail. 

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

It's already available bro. Just gotta export the gpx to your cute little laptop and add EVERY feature name you came up with like... twink city

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, Twink City was right after The Grotto...where you and your boy toy came prancing along in short shorts first time I ever met you. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:22 PM, circuitbreaker said:

here a great reference map:

https://caltopo.com/m/6DN1

That's awesome thanks!  I was a bit confused trying to figure out which trails to grab on Snow White but now I know.

The only question is, which direction is most common for Gnargasm and Snow White?  I've been riding them ccw.  Given the feature at the connection between Gnargasm returns and Snow White, I'm thinking that's the "correct" direction.  I've never ridden Caddyshack.  I was wondering if what I was seeing from the BCRT was a trail.  Now I know.

Also, it was my first time riding Brushy Creek in weeks, and my first time riding Peddler's in months.  That new section is awesome.  Thanks to Ronan and all who contributed.  My 12yo loved it even though on his first time yesterday he either cleared everything on 1/4 E2W the first time or on the 2nd try.

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

The only question is, which direction is most common for Gnargasm and Snow White?  I've been riding them ccw. 

I usually ride them west to east.  I generally start my ride with Gumdrop, then do Snow White clockwise, then ride up to Gnargasm.  At the end of Gnargasm I take the upper connector trail to Snow White and ride that portion of it counter-clockwise, take the bridge across the creek at the exit, and take a left onto the singletrack immediately after the bridge that runs along the creek and exits across from the play area at Champion Park.  I then proceed over the dam and continue over to Peddler's Pass.   

I haven't ridden Caddyshack in a while now, since I don't really like going down the sketchy rock to the wooden exit on Gnargasm.  And the exit onto the golf property where you can then go down by the bridge to reach the Caddyshack entrance seems like just asking for trouble if golfers complain about seeing mountain bikers.  

• Like 1