IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

4 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

Are you NOW saying your Saints wouldnt stop you in a moment notice like you previously touted.

People climb that regardless. You arent gonna stop them with a sign that says not to do it. Leave the rope. It at least gets those hooligans out of the ditch or out of center line faster should someone be riding at same time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just removed the rope. Not wanting to be liable for some jackass getting hurt. How could I get this approved through the city/ trail gods? 

Again, my experience with BC is very limited, but is there room to have a conversation with the authorities on drainage for the nearby neighborhood? In my line of work, this level of drainage is an indication that people are wasting water and their own money by over-watering their lawns.

It seems that the ditch is there because it's just the way Nature is moving that water, so I doubt there is a reroute option. Education would be the first option to get people to water more efficiently, assuming that's the root cause.

I just removed the rope. Not wanting to be liable for some jackass getting hurt. How could I get this approved through the city/ trail gods? 
You personally wouldn't be liable. Not like you wrote your name on it. I dont care if its there or not. I see both sides. If we cant catch this guy in the act he may not stop. He was told already by the person who intially reported it that its unsafe to have that there. He obviously doesnt care.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Again, my experience with BC is very limited, but is there room to have a conversation with the authorities on drainage for the nearby neighborhood? In my line of work, this level of drainage is an indication that people are wasting water and their own money by over-watering their lawns.

It seems that the ditch is there because it's just the way Nature is moving that water, so I doubt there is a reroute option. Education would be the first option to get people to water more efficiently, assuming that's the root cause.

I'd at least be interested in following the water up stream to get an idea of water source.  It is possible that there is a pipe leak somewhere that isn't being detected.   There should NOT be any water flowing through there right now, yet it's still a pretty good flow.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

I always assumed it was a detention pond draining from the new houses being built around the ditch. Same for the little water fall by the RT that usually has water flowing days after a rain. 

Certainly the most reasonable explanation.  I sure hope not, because that ain't fixable.  

I definitely miss getting to shoot down that thing, but I will never be willing to try that drop with water present.  

3 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Good to know. I’ll take that trash down so I don’t get sued. With that being said, the man-made feature statement would also be applicable to all wooden features out in place for mtn biking, what happens in those cases? 

The wood features are about the same. The difference is that a rope is expected to be a limited life item. Wood will rot but it takes a long time (years). I expect nylon or other 'plastic' rope would be brittle in about a year (ultraviolet damage). A natural fiber rope (hemp) is about the same but due to rot instead.

The liability issue is why ARR insurance limits wood features to 24" above the ground. But we can pile dirt higher than 24".

On FB I suggested using the rope to have a hangman's noose next to the sign.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Work thru the Trail Steward to get approval. If the land manager is OK with it - put a rope there.

When talking to the land manager, don't bring up liability. Let them decide what issue are important to them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cxagent said:

The wood features are about the same. The difference is that a rope is expected to be a limited life item. Wood will rot but it takes a long time (years). I expect nylon or other 'plastic' rope would be brittle in about a year (ultraviolet damage). A natural fiber rope (hemp) is about the same but due to rot instead.

The liability issue is why ARR insurance limits wood features to 24" above the ground. But we can pile dirt higher than 24".

On FB I suggested using the rope to have a hangman's noose next to the sign.

What FB site?  I'd like to add.

43 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Ha! I removed it. We live in an incredibly sensitive world, so I'll hold off on the noose 😉  

I can see the news headline now...

Good call.  I always do that "...how would this play in my news feed?"  test.  It's kept me from going on vacation and leaving the kids at home on more than one occasion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ahornsfan said:

What FB site?  I'd like to add.

I think I might follow too many FB mountain bike groups because I've looked for the post and can't find it among all the other junk. There is a chance it was deleted.  Search Austin Mountain Biking and it's a public group. 

30 minutes ago, Skyyhorn said:

I think I might follow too many FB mountain bike groups because I've looked for the post and can't find it among all the other junk. There is a chance it was deleted.  Search Austin Mountain Biking and it's a public group. 

Haha nah Scott, I ended up getting off Facebook, then got back on FB to post about the Dave's Ditch Drama, then deactivated my account again. Changing roles at IBM and needed to disconnect from FB. 

1 minute ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Haha nah Scott, I ended up getting off Facebook, then got back on FB to post about the Dave's Ditch Drama, then deactivated my account again. Changing roles at IBM and needed to disconnect from FB. 

That makes sense. I think because you started the thread it went away when you deactivated. 

16 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

That makes sense. I think because you started the thread it went away when you deactivated. 

I can confirm the FB post is gone. I have also deactivated my FB account and had to reactivate it. In the near future I hope to delete it completely. I hate to sound like a grumpy old man. I would rather just fade into obscurity while I ride my bike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cxagent said:

I can confirm the FB post is gone. I have also deactivated my FB account and had to reactivate it. In the near future I hope to delete it completely. I hate to sound like a grumpy old man. I would rather just fade into obscurity while I ride my bike.

That is a very exclusive group you've aligned with.

Welcome aboard. :classic_biggrin:

26 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I'm curious too. Do I need to actually setup a real game cam or did my sign work?

IMO, though appreciated, I think it's inappropriate and possibly a violation for you to install an unauthorized game cam. Leave that to ARR/Wilco. If this situation persists (obviously this is a very new development and may die quickly) then we will consider it. We have them available. 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, rugger said:

IMO, though appreciated, I think it's inappropriate and possibly a violation for you to install an unauthorized game cam. Leave that to ARR/Wilco. If this situation persists (obviously this is a very new development and may die quickly) then we will consider it. We have them available. 

Thanks

10-4. What if I already hired security to patrol the area? Okay, it was a pan handler I hired, but same difference. 

• Haha 3

On 7/31/2019 at 10:21 AM, mack_turtle said:

Drainage was brought up with Wilco when the development started and it was quite obvious the developer was causing erosion on the park property. Wilco said they complained and warned the developer. I honestly don't think much more will be done about it. I'm sure, since it's COA the requisite grey area/run off containment areas are in place, but the yards are still creating more water than nature was. 

I personally, don't find riding the ditch all that exciting with the exception of the very top canyon area which I love, but I am not losing much of my 'riding experience' by not being able to ride the ditch more frequently. I personally miss the ability to ride the good ol' campfire loop more than being able to ride the ditch more frequently. 

Feel free to contact the HOA or post fliers in the neighborhood, but the people watering lawns care about their lawns and not the trails, my grumpy old man mind says no one will listen/care. 

• Like 1

There is standing water at the bottom. The two flowy bits from the top are not wet but still have the algae slimy stuff but not slippery. If you are concerned.. just sit back low with your rear over the rear of the bike . Just go go down it and go with flow . You will see the darker line on the rock face where most people go. It is easy and fun and rather unique

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk