IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

So, how long is the current version of Peddlers?

I went over there again today after riding Deception, were I saw one other rider... but there were at least a dozen on PP, including an e-bike, and I am pleased to say that even in my current sad state, I caught up to him. I also didn't see him roosting or doing throttle wheelies, so that's good ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, I'm shocked at how much the trails have worn down in the year that I was out; 1/4 is about to turn a solid black (if it hasn't already), and most of the stumps I cut a couple of years ago are already showing 4-6" again... guess I'm due for another saw walk.

Edited by gotdurt

4 hours ago, gotdurt said:

I went over there again today after riding Deception, were I saw one other rider... but there were at least a dozen on PP, including an e-bike, and I am pleased to say that even in my current sad state, I caught up to him. I also didn't see him roosting or doing throttle wheelies, so that's good ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, I'm shocked at how much the trails have worn down in the year that I was out; 1/4 is about to turn a solid black (if it hasn't already), and most of the stumps I cut a couple of years ago are already showing 4-6" again... guess I'm due for another saw walk.

Dude hmu letโ€™s roll!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Morealice said:

Dude hmu letโ€™s roll!

Give me a chance to build some legs and lungs, I was out of shape as it was a year ago when I hung the bikes, I'm in an even sadder state now. I still shouldn't be riding yet, but I'm beyond stir crazy (and I wonder why I can never quite heal ๐Ÿ™„).

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:41 PM, gotdurt said:

Peddlers is 2.8 miles.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:41 PM, gotdurt said:

Based on Strava, Deception is now one of the lesser ridden trails since there are so many other options.

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Like 1

Based on Strava, Deception is now one of the lesser ridden trails since there are so many other options.

C'mon now. Strava nerd. You know the easy answer. It's less about popularity or more better options and more that PP (and SJ) and well within the capabilities or far more people. I would imagine D has increased in popularity if compared in a timeline of itself, but is not as widely used for the above reason along with ease of accessibility. Also i would bet money that most riders that are doing D in varying lengths use PP as a good leg warm up. Back a year ago when i had freetime to ride more that's my route. Either half of PP then parts or all of D. Or All of Sub Ninja to half of PP to parts of D. I dont imagine to many people drive or ride to PP and just do a lap of that and leave.

ย 

ย 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

It's less about popularity or more better options and more that PP (and SJ) and well within the capabilities or far more people.

And I'm thankful for that... with easy options elsewhere, maybe people will finally ease up on the bypasses and sanitizing on my preferred trails.

I would imagine D has increased in popularity if compared in a timeline of itself, but is not as widely used for the above reason along with ease of accessibility.

Definitely. Each time I take time off the bike for months to a year then return, I'm always surprised at the trail condition and increased traffic, even mid-day M-F when I like to ride. This last year though was the biggest change; D has seen some serious traffic, and it shows.

I dont imagine to many people drive or ride to PP and just do a lap of that and leave.

It actually seems that they do, except they do more than a lap (I would hope). when I rode the other day, D was a ghost town, but PP was a party... seemingly mostly of newbs and Barneys, but that's okay though, if that's what it takes to free up D a bit, I'll celebrate it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Also i would bet money that most riders that are doing D in varying lengths use PP as a good leg warm up. Back a year ago when i had freetime to ride more that's my route. Either half of PP then parts or all of D. Or All of Sub Ninja to half of PP to parts of D. I dont imagine to many people drive or ride to PP and just do a lap of that and leave.

My warm-up for D is climbing up from behind the YMCA and riding that bit of trail sitting between there and Snail. After finishing Snail I drop down into Dave's Ditch and take the sharp left up to Dave's Glitch / Rim. Once I finish Rim I take the long climb (relatively speaking) up to Up-And-Over and wind my way over to D. By then, I am sufficiently warmed up. Also though, if I've got a newbie tagging along, I'll know by then if I should take them onto D, just head over to Picnic / PP, or end the ride. ๐Ÿ˜†

I love PP but mostly only ride it on my way over to Candyland from D unless I'm showing it to newbs. ย  ย ย 

Edited by throet

1 hour ago, throet said:

My warm-up for D is climbing up from behind the YMCA and riding that bit of trail sitting between there and Snail. After finishing Snail I drop down into Dave's Ditch and take the sharp left up to Dave's Glitch / Rim. Once I finish Rim I take the long climb (relatively speaking) up to Up-And-Over and wind my way over to D. By then, I am sufficiently warmed up. Also though, if I've got a newbie tagging along, I'll know by then if I should take them onto D, just head over to Picnic / PP, or end the ride. ๐Ÿ˜†

I love PP but mostly only ride it on my way over to Candyland from D unless I'm showing it to newbs. ย  ย ย 

This is my normal route too, but I use it to warm up for a hot lap at PP. ย I start on the back end of the Y, through those windy trails up top, drop Snail, up Dave's ditch (but all the way to the next uphill trail to Rim). ย I take Rim until it ends, then go right up and around until I get to the entrance of D. ย At that point, I decide if I'm going to PP. ย If so, I head down the rocky road back to BCRT and get into those bottomย trails along the creek so I can drop those 2 ledges. ย I get back on BCRT, drop the bridge, I dig the bridge drop, then hit PP for 1 lapย to see if I can beat my PR. ย Then on my way back towards the Y, I usually go left at the "new" sidewalk toย jump on the first half of Deception.ย 

22 hours ago, First-Blood said:

C'mon now. Strava nerd. You know the easy answer. It's less about popularity or more better options and more that PP (and SJ) and well within the capabilities or far more people. I would imagine D has increased in popularity if compared in a timeline of itself, but is not as widely used for the above reason along with ease of accessibility. Also i would bet money that most riders that are doing D in varying lengths use PP as a good leg warm up. Back a year ago when i had freetime to ride more that's my route. Either half of PP then parts or all of D. Or All of Sub Ninja to half of PP to parts of D. I dont imagine to many people drive or ride to PP and just do a lap of that and leave.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

The number of people riding Deception hasย increased over the years, but it's popularity has decreased.

It's not a bash on Deception, just simple math.

In 2011/2012 when building started and there was only a few miles of trail and a limited number of riders. The number of riders using the Brushy Creek Single Track has increased substantially along with miles of trail since then,ย but an ever increasing percentage of those riders are using other sections of the Brushy Creek Single Track because of the reasons you mentioned above, so therefore Deceptionsย popularity has decreased even though the number of riders using it has increased...or it use to be a big fish in a small pond, but now it's the same size fish in a much bigger pond. The attached picture shows strava riders on Saturday Feb 8th on Deception vs Peddlers from 12pm - 7pm.ย 

ย 

As the difficulty of a trail increases there's going to be fewer people that can ride it. It doesn't mean one is better than the other. An easier trail will always be ridden by more people.ย 

image.thumb.png.9df24ae6654e633d88c4eaf8e6406be0.png

ย 

Edited by HoneyBadger

ย 

ย 

ย 

The number of people riding Deception hasย increased over the years, but it's popularity has decreased.

It's not a bash on Deception, just simple math.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Whatever Strava NERD. I just wanna fight. I think you are just still mad that those honey bees attacked you in Deception. You haven't been back since. Also that picture means nothing . I could do 10 laps on PP and not be as tired as one lap on Deception. I imagine most people that inky ride PP do multiple laps. And now that the race is upcoming you have a disproportionate amount of people coming more often to practice. Duh

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Okay girls....you're both pretty.ย  Deception and PP are both crown jewels in the Austin Mountain biking world.ย  I generally ride both when I ride Brushy but for very different reasons.ย  PP is a gut busting mash-fest where I try and go as fast as I can and not screw up a corner.ย  Deception is a smile inducing gnar-fest that never fails to give me a challenge just when I need it.ย  I love them both for different reasons but I love them both.ย  When you throw in Picnic, SN, and the Christ Church jump line, there is a HUGE variety of trail in a relatively small area where I can take any rider from my 12 year old to a seasoned enduro-brah and show them a good time.ย 

ย 

We're extremely lucky to have these trails and these trail builders that make them possible.ย  That is something we should all agree on.

4 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

Okay girls....you're both pretty.ย  Deception and PP are both crown jewels in the Austin Mountain biking world.ย  I generally ride both when I ride Brushy but for very different reasons.ย  PP is a gut busting mash-fest where I try and go as fast as I can and not screw up a corner.ย  Deception is a smile inducing gnar-fest that never fails to give me a challenge just when I need it.ย  I love them both for different reasons but I love them both.ย  When you throw in Picnic, SN, and the Christ Church jump line, there is a HUGE variety of trail in a relatively small area where I can take any rider from my 12 year old to a seasoned enduro-brah and show them a good time.ย 

ย 

We're extremely lucky to have these trails and these trail builders that make them possible.ย  That is something we should all agree on.

ha ha, First-blood and I build together all the time...just some friendly S!@# stirring. We were building together on Deception when those killer bees attacked.

Edited by HoneyBadger

FirstBlood has always had problems interacting normally with people. Itโ€™s just how he is.ย 
I looove when I see no one on Deception. It makes my heart happy. I like that itโ€™s getting gnarlier... itโ€™s all definitely still rideable IMO (E to W anyway - I donโ€™t ride it W - E anymore) but it sure takes some strong legs and lungs to clear all the features and ride it all without stopping.ย 
Last time I rode I ended up in a crew of some FAST women on Peddlers. The 2 fastest were hot as hell too... that was awesome to witness. Of course, I had to pass them to keep my ego intact, but in doing so, I poppedย myself pretty good... didnโ€™t have enough gas after to ride Deception (had worked out hard in the gym the day before also).... but yeah, thereโ€™s trail out there for everyone now, and thatโ€™s flat out sweet.ย 
If I ride Saturday, with Peddlers being occupied, might actually have to go hit Suburban Ninja again and wander around out there. Even though jumps arenโ€™t my thing I wanna see the church stuff as well.ย 
Still crazy to see how this all has transpired... from 2011 or whatever to now. I do get a real sense of fuzzy feelings when I see dads (usually) with their kids on picnic and peddlers. That gets me every time. I also enjoy passing those kids and dropping them HARD.ย 

• Like 3

1/4 and DD are GTG, aside from a few deceptively slick spots... started my ride by throwing it hard into Rainy Day Berm expecting hero traction, but RDB instead threw me down HARD... so fast that all I heard was "VVVVVVVVVVT!" from my back tire, and my bad shoulder was instantly augered into the ground, the same shoulder that kept me off the bike for the past year. Oddly enough, it's my right shoulder, but I also somehow gouged up my left knee and bruised my left heal, left palm and my right thigh... lol. Like I said, it happened fast, and I'm still trying to figure out the geometry of my impact... something like Seinfeld's "magic loogie"...
ย 

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2020 at 5:41 PM, gotdurt said:

ย 

I for one appreciate all the volunteer trail work I can get. But please check with the Trail Steward for the trail.

All trails experience this 'wearing down'. Virgin dirt compresses a good bit as it is first ridden / hiked. The compressed dirt is what prevents grass and such from growing back so fast. Then there is the soil loss. Dry dirt on the trail turns to dust and blows away. Both dust and mud get picked up on tires or shoes and carried away. Both of these events happen on every trail. The softer the soil is the faster the 'wearing down'ย happens.

Both of these assume the trail is well designed and built. (Deception is well designed and built.)ย Then you get into issues about Austin/central Texas soils. Ourย clay soils are especially prone to being carried away as mud or dust. The trail tread will need to be built back up on a regular basis. Except for those places where the trail is solid rock.

If you cut stumps "at ground level", they will continue to "grow" as the ground around then recedes. A better solution is to remove the stump and root ball. Some stumps have such a long and hardy root that removing the root ball is not possible with hand tools. Those I dig as deep as I can and cut the stump *WELL* below ground level (at least 6 inches). My second best alternative is to build up the tread near the stump. Adding soil also gives me the chance to contour the tread to route water off the trail.ย 

My last resort is to cut the stump "at ground level".

• Like 1

1/4 and DD are GTG, aside from a few deceptively slick spots... started my ride by throwing it hard into Rainy Day Berm expecting hero traction, but RDB instead threw me down HARD... so fast that all I heard was "VVVVVVVVVVT!" from my back tire, and my bad shoulder was instantly augered into the ground, the same shoulder that kept me off the bike for the past year. Oddly enough, it's my right shoulder, but I also somehow gouged up my left knee and bruised my left heal, left palm and my right thigh... lol. Like I said, it happened fast, and I'm still trying to figure out the geometry of my impact... something like Seinfeld's "magic loogie"...
ย 
ย 

Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26 minutes ago, cxagent said:

I for one appreciate all the volunteer trail work I can get. But please check with the Trail Steward for the trail.

All trails experience this 'wearing down'. Virgin dirt compresses a good bit as it is first ridden / hiked. The compressed dirt is what prevents grass and such from growing back so fast. Then there is the soil loss. Dry dirt on the trail turns to dust and blows away. Both dust and mud get picked up on tires or shoes and carried away. Both of these events happen on every trail. The softer the soil is the faster the 'wearing down'ย happens.

Both of these assume the trail is well designed and built. (Deception is well designed and built.)ย Then you get into issues about Austin/central Texas soils. Ourย clay soils are especially prone to being carried away as mud or dust. The trail tread will need to be built back up on a regular basis. Except for those places where the trail is solid rock.

If you cut stumps "at ground level", they will continue to "grow" as the ground around then recedes. A better solution is to remove the stump and root ball. Some stumps have such a long and hardy root that removing the root ball is not possible with hand tools. Those I dig as deep as I can and cut the stump *WELL* below ground level (at least 6 inches). My second best alternative is to build up the tread near the stump. Adding soil also gives me the chance to contour the tread to route water off the trail.ย 

My last resort is to cut the stump "at ground level".

Cut at ground level until it wears down enough that the roots are exposed, then take it out at the roots... otherwise you're doing a lot of unnecessary work and digging a hole. It didn't take but a few seconds per stump to do it last time.; it doesn't hurt anything.

It took years for the trail to wear down enough to cut them the first time, but the increased traffic has reavealed them much more quickly this time around. Oh, and yes, their previous cuttingย was coordinated with Eric and Josh, I'm not new.

Edited by gotdurt