IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

I was surprised at how well the whole trail flowed in reverse. I thought it was a nice change. 
This was my first time to compete or even attend a MTB race so I don’t have anything for comparison, but I thought the whole event was well run and I really appreciate all the hard work you all put into this. 
my only suggestion would be to post Hard copies of estimated race starting times for each class.  I didn’t find those until I followed Endurarace on FB (after the race). 

Thanks again for all the hard work. 

29 minutes ago, Ole creeky knees said:

I was surprised at how well the whole trail flowed in reverse. I thought it was a nice change. 
This was my first time to compete or even attend a MTB race so I don’t have anything for comparison, but I thought the whole event was well run and I really appreciate all the hard work you all put into this. 
my only suggestion would be to post Hard copies of estimated race starting times for each class.  I didn’t find those until I followed Endurarace on FB (after the race). 

Thanks again for all the hard work. 

Thanks for the input.

Last years times were posted on a board next the start chute, but we didn't make an announcement they were there,  so i don't think anyone knew. We'll make it clearer for the next race. 

The things that make this race different to other XC (cross country) Mountain Bike races are:

1. The course is shorter (2.8 miles), normally the XC races are 10+ miles per lap. 

2. The racers start one at a time vs. a mass start at other XC races. Typically, everyone in the same category lines up together and starts at the same time.  The Peddlers Pass race is similar to the format used at Enduro's or Downhill MTB races. 

3. Your racing against the clock vs directly against other riders around you. Your able to focus more on your riding/speed vs what other riders are doing around you. 

4. The racecourse has many more corners and features per mile such as berms, rollers, bridges, etc than other XC races, so bike handling skills (corninering) play a bigger part than other XC races. There are 161 corners  in 2.8 miles, that averages out to a corner every 92 feet. Over 100 of the corners are bermed, I need to go and count the exact number. if you want to go fast on Peddlers Pass, you've got to get comfortable cornering fast on berms (sometimes it's hard to overcome the natural instinct to tap the brakes when flying into a berm) and learn good flat cornering technique. I'm not a fast XC rider, but I have been able to catch up to fitter/faster riders on Peddlers Pass by having better cornering technique than the person I'm trying to catch.

5. Full Gas on Peddlers Pass bridges the gap between XC and Enduro racing due the combination of race format, fitness, number of trail features, and cornering skills.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, gotdurt said:

Cut at ground level until it wears down enough that the roots are exposed, then take it out at the roots... otherwise you're doing a lot of unnecessary work and digging a hole.

Man I hate ground level stumps, and I'm surprised how many there are locally. When IMBA visited us in the northeast, they taught us to cut in-trail trees at chest height, and then pole dance with them back and forth until you can loosen up the roots enough to pull/cut them out of the ground. Yeah, you dig a hole, but holes are easy to fill, and I never pedal smack a hole in the ground.  And with no rock, we had far deeper roots in the northeast than does CenTX. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barry said:

Man I hate ground level stumps, and I'm surprised how many there are locally. When IMBA visited us in the northeast, they taught us to cut in-trail trees at chest height, and then pole dance with them back and forth until you can loosen up the roots enough to pull/cut them out of the ground. Yeah, you dig a hole, but holes are easy to fill, and I never pedal smack a hole in the ground.  And with no rock, we had far deeper roots in the northeast than does CenTX. 

The problem we have here is the roots work their way around and through the bedrock, there's no "pole dancing" them out by hand. They are locked in place. Digging them out by hand takes forever. Firstblood worked on one for nearly two hours last week. Although, we do use that "pole dancing" technique when we have a mini-x. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

For those that raced Peddlers Pass

What did you think of the backwards lap? Is it something that should be kept for future races?

What could make the race better?

i personally enjoyed the backwards lap, it was a fun challenge. 

i was most worried about the slippery trail, but that ended up being only a minor concern. i did wash out one time on a slick flat turn.

the creek crossing seems to be the hardest obstacle on the lap. i did lose my chain one time on it, which cost me the most time. but my plan for charging full speed did seem to work effectively.

it might be helpful to have a sign showing which class is currently running and when the next class will begin? but not necessary.

i would like to see the individual lap times included in final results. and live results would be super fun.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 8:48 AM, HoneyBadger said:

The problem we have here is the roots work their way around and through the bedrock, there's no "pole dancing" them out by hand. They are locked in place. Digging them out by hand takes forever. Firstblood worked on one for nearly two hours last week. Although, we do use that "pole dancing" technique when we have a mini-x. 

I agree - there are some stumps I just cannot get out. But I still dig out the root ball on as many as I can.

Ligustrum (sp?) are very common and very shallow rooted until they get over 6" diameter. Above ~ 5 inch diameter we have to get City approval to remove. They ALWAYS approve removal of invasive species like ligustrum - but we still have to get tree by tree approval.

8 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Well, no rain last night, less than 1/10th inch yesterday early early morning. Trails were good Sunday, good Monday.... what’d I miss? 

Get out there! 

We got some good showers up in Leander the night before last; the bare areas in my back yard would indicate that it is still too wet to ride if Brushy got the same showers... but they were isolated, so I figured it was worth asking...

3 hours ago, radiantm3 said:

So who’s building a Redbull Hardline drop on Snail? Looks legit and something I’m not willing to hit. Looks like a 10-20ft drop at least. My legs were shaking as I stood near the ledge. 

The one the ends in a jump into the wall ride section?  Looks wierd, hit it timidly if that is the one

4 minutes ago, Morris said:

The one the ends in a jump into the wall ride section?  Looks wierd, hit it timidly if that is the one

No this is still work in progress. If you take the left line, there’s a new berm that goes left right where the little jump to hip is. If you follow that there’s a downhill line to the right which leads into a jump and an insanely big drop if you went straight. 

65C1825D-6929-4643-B9B8-3AE90331B143.png

1 hour ago, radiantm3 said:

No this is still work in progress. If you take the left line, there’s a new berm that goes left right where the little jump to hip is. If you follow that there’s a downhill line to the right which leads into a jump and an insanely big drop if you went straight. 

65C1825D-6929-4643-B9B8-3AE90331B143.png

I haven’t been over to snail in awhile, going to have to check this out this weekend if the weather, children and wife allow😬

I've been watching this thing evolve over the past couple weeks. It was rideable for a little bit, with the correct line choice it was sort of a double drop, with neither being too big, but still plenty sketchy. Now it's gone full send, lol.

It looks like there's some lumber nearby, I'm guessing there's gonna be some sort of wooden roll or landing?

• Like 1