IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

2 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Nope. Trails are in good shape. Rain is supposed to move in around 3PM last I checked so I’d get out there ASAP

Man you nailed that! I had an hour break between meetings from 2-3 so I raced to the trails from my house and rode the YMCA trails, Snail, Rim, and half of DD before racing back home. Was getting nice sprinkles all the way back, and then a block from my house I got hit with massive gusts of wind and a sudden 20 degree drop in temperature. That was as epic as 40 minutes on my regular trails gets. Made my day!  

• Like 4

I rode 1/4 notch somewhere between 1:45-2:00pm. Was heading E-W and only passed one person heading W-E. Got home around 2:30pm and it start pouring. I had a gut feeling I needed to get my ride in sooner than later.

Edit: And by "gut feeling" I mean diligently watching the radar as a storm moved in from the west.

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I think I'll just need to walk Snail next time I'm out there to take a look at these cool features without actually killing myself.  😄

..Al

Next time I ride out there I may just bring a chair so I can sit and watch the attempts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[mention=227]First-Blood[/mention] where on snail is this new drop in/ramp.  Is this below the new crazy drop in and the left fork?

This is just after the dual drops. It's a take off ramp. Not a drop in ramp. I took out that dilapidated unusable wood wall ride and made a higher dirt wall ride that leads to it. It is only a few feet to the right of the existing dirt sender after the dual drops

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Hi folks, just found these forums! I consider myself a beginner to trail riding although I did ride a lot as a kid with a cheap KMart BMX knock off in OP Schnabel Park in San Antonio back in the 80s. My parent's house backed up to the park and my friends and I blazed a lot of trails through there that are paved now! 

I hadn't been on a bike in about 20 years so I picked up a 2018 Specialized Rockhopper hardtail last year just to get some cardio work in every now and then. I've been riding around the Round Rock area the past year but mostly just on the BC Regional Trail from the end by Great Oaks Drive to the lake and back and sometimes hitting the trail on the other side of I-35 as well. I randomly came across this site last night and found the info on the trails by the sports park off Parmer. I had no idea there were actual MTB specific trails just beyond where I normally turn around.

Went out this morning at 7:30am and ran through Mulligan(that last drop is awesome!), 1/4 Notch, and Picnic. Made it all the way through 1/4 Notch fairly well I think but had to walk it up a few of the tougher climbs. Of course I'm going to blame the bike and not my lack of skill and being out of shape! I did realize I need to do some upgrades on the bike. It's the Expert Rockhopper version and all stock outside of pedals and grips. After running through 1/4 Notch I'm looking to replace the front fork and tires to start. I bottomed out the front end multiple times on some of the 1/4 Notch areas(big time on that double drop from the top area) and felt like I had zero grip in the loose rocks and exposed bedrock even though it was 99% dry. Tires are the stock tires and were at 33R/30F(I'm 6'3", 190lbs).

Anyway, I had a blast this morning and will be out that way a lot more now that I know it's there! I bought the bike at Bicycle Sport Shop off Parmer and will probably be pinging them for tires and forks. Any recommendations on tires/forks for the brushy creek trails?

Also, where is this Snail trail? That looks fun!

Edited by quixoft

Hi folks, just found these forums! 

Any recommendations on tires/forks for the brushy creek trails?

Also, where is this Snail trail? That looks fun!

Welcome.

I would look into volume reducers before dropping money on a new fork. It will make your fork more progressive and potentially stop you from bottoming out. Also make sure your fork SAG is set appropriate for you too.

Tires. Up FRONT I prefer a wider tire with chunky knobs a plenty. In REAR I like a faster rolling tire slightly smaller in width than the front and with a shallow knob profile in center tread and some knobs on the outside for corner traction.

Snail Trail is just west of 183A. You can access it from the BCRT. You can even park close to it if you park under 183A at the regional trail access parking g lot. Once parked go across bridge and to the right. Keep your eyes left and you will see a trail not to long after you pass under the hwy. That trail is supposed to be one way and dangerous if you enter in the exit part SO... HERE IS ONE WAY TO GET UPTOP SAFE. There are many ways to get to the top but easiest to explain is go up the concrete drainage ditch that parallels 183a you will see a trail at the top. Once uptop there are a variety of lines down. Explore around and have fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welcome, quixoft!

If you haven't already discovered this on your own, upgrading a fork can be a very expensive project.  Have you tried tuning your current fork at all?  I don't have any firsthand experience with that particular fork, but from what I can tell you've got an air spring and rebound adjustment.  Are you familiar with the concept of sag in regards to suspension?  It's basically the amount your fork (or shock) compresses under just the weight of you being on the bike.  A good starting point is typically that you should have about 25-30% sag.  If you sit on your bike and you have more sag than that, you might consider adding air to your fork to see if that helps with the bottoming out problem you described.  You might also be able to find some published settings for your fork.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, First-Blood said:

New feature on Snail. Also improved drops run ups and widened dirt wall ride after dual drops. Go test. Needs a little ground work but very rideable as is.

Are you supposed to go down it or up it?

15 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

Welcome, quixoft!

Have you tried tuning your current fork at all?  

The nice folks at BSS off Parmer did the initial sag settings. I've done some motorcycle road racing so I'm familiar with preload/compression/rebound tinkering but by no means an expert. I'll look into it further. My moto shocks are oil and springs so I'm not familiar with air but it seems like the same principles apply. Adding air might be the way to go.

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

Of course I'm going to blame the bike and not my lack of skill and being out of shape! I did realize I need to do some upgrades on the bike. It's the Expert Rockhopper version and all stock outside of pedals and grips. After running through 1/4 Notch I'm looking to replace the front fork and tires to start. I bottomed out the front end multiple times on some of the 1/4 Notch areas(big time on that double drop from the top area) and felt like I had zero grip in the loose rocks and exposed bedrock even though it was 99% dry. Tires are the stock tires and were at 33R/30F(I'm 6'3", 190lbs).

Anyway, I had a blast this morning and will be out that way a lot more now that I know it's there! I bought the bike at Bicycle Sport Shop off Parmer and will probably be pinging them for tires and forks. Any recommendations on tires/forks for the brushy creek trails?

If you are still bottoming after setting the sag correctly, then air volume reduction is your answer. If your Suntour fork is a 34 or 35mm model, they offer these:
https://www.srsuntour.us/products/air-volume-spacer?variant=38394605262

If not, then some heavy weight oil (70-90 wt) in the air chamber will serve the same purpose. Add 5cc at a time until you stop bottoming on all but the biggest hits. That's the way we used to tune air forks before volume spacers became a thing. This also has a side benefit of keeping the air piston well sealed. But regardless, static sag first, volume tuning second.

• Like 2