IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Did some go pro cuts today on the jumps behind Peddlers and on Sub Ninja with one of my hockey teammates. 

Warning... Only watch if extremely bored because,  well, we suck. 

Could be a good how not to ride playlist maybe!

FYI there is some course language. 

Edited by quixoft
Language warning

9 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

I've been watching some jump videos that tell you to compress into the face... But looking at these riders I'm not really seeing them do that — or at least it doesn't seem that they are. Particularly off the drops... They just seem to be riding off and maybe pulling up a bit when in the air. Am I missing something here?

Watching is going to be of minimal value. In my experience, the fastest and most helpful way to teach someone to jump is getting them proficient on a pumptrack. Learning to generate speed and momentum on curves will give you the skills to hit jumps - just a bigger curve. In the absence of a pumptrack, I'll use berms, but it's hard for folks to translate the proper technique on a horizontal curve to a vertical curve - but it's the same thing. We've planned to put in a pumptrack at the church for this exact reason, but . . . time, resources, money . . . you get the picture.

And . . . DON'T jump clipless. It makes you lazy and instills really bad habits. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, quixoft said:

Did some go pro cuts today on the jumps behind Peddlers and on Sub Ninja with one of my hockey teammates. 

Warning... Only watch if extremely bored because,  well, we suck. 

Could be a good how not to ride playlist maybe!

FYI there is some course language. 

Better than I can do☹️

12 hours ago, El Gringo said:

Watching is going to be of minimal value. In my experience, the fastest and most helpful way to teach someone to jump is getting them proficient on a pumptrack. Learning to generate speed and momentum on curves will give you the skills to hit jumps - just a bigger curve. In the absence of a pumptrack, I'll use berms, but it's hard for folks to translate the proper technique on a horizontal curve to a vertical curve - but it's the same thing. We've planned to put in a pumptrack at the church for this exact reason, but . . . time, resources, money . . . you get the picture.

And . . . DON'T jump clipless. It makes you lazy and instills really bad habits. 

I can see how a pump track would be helpful in learning how to manipulate your weight/suspension/body movement for creating the additional energy/pop needed to hit jumps (flat jumps, not drops, as someone pointed out in an earlier comment) properly. Although I learned to ride mtb on mainly flat, tight singletrack, on a twitchy (steep steerer tube) old school bike that required fast reactions and body/weight movement, I also use to surf, which required learning how to use the power/shape/condition of a wave to move you forward. I think this is why I've always preferred flow trail to technical trail (also, I'm 6'4" and often find that technical trail has been built to suit shorter/smaller bodies, which can be frustrating). Because I've always enjoyed riding flow trail, when I started seeing jumps as being a normal part of mtbing I started doing it too. But small jumps, not big jumps... Nothing more than 12"-18"... And even then, not trying to "...pop..." off anything, but just using speed/momentum... And unfortunately my riding clipless... To just kind of get some air between me and the ground. There was no real technique in what I was doing, maybe other than just trying to make sure that I landed properly — meaning, in control and not crashing.

Today I can see that its become an art of sorts and is considered normal in mainstream trail riding. Not sure that at my age I'm going to teach this dog new tricks, but I like to learn about stuff... And who knows, maybe in a limited measure try a small jump or two.

Regarding clipless... It became second nature for me as I went clipless within months of beginning mtbing. That was 25 years ago. So I've been doing lipless for a long time and it has kind of part of the way I ride. But two weeks ago I put a set of Chester flats on my bike and have been riding them since. So far so good... Except for the occasional bounce situations where my feet get separated from the pedals. No falls/crashes... But my feet have come back down on the pedal in ways that were not good... The worst of which is when a foot hits the pedal in a way that makes it spin. Also have caught a pedal in the back of my ankle a few times... Which made me wonder why no one has come up with a back-of-the-ankle protective pad. Overall though, my initial experience with flats has been good... And I'm not using special flats shoes (like 510s)... I play squash and have been using my indoor court shoes that have soft gum soles but are still fairly firm, so I guess my experience could be better with more mtb flat specific shoes. If I decide to stick with flats I'll get a pair.

Edited by RidingAgain

How can you look at something under construction and say it will send you into the trees? [emoji848][emoji2937]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Because it was so high it looks like it will shoot you into the tops of trees!

Because it was so high it looks like it will shoot you into the tops of trees!
Hahahah. Nah. If you can get up there I'll be impressed. It just needed a light trimming which it had yesterday anyways. It may need another trim once the new jump line into this line gets built and it becomes faster. But you currently wont carry as much speed as you might think into it. I already sent it today without ending up in tree . **Warning the landing is not the landing it will have and is currently really soft. Also the run step up and run out isnt built.

• Like 1

I dont know.. that tree looks like it will impale you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ha. What tree are you guys talking about. Have you seen it today or yesterday? There is one large tree to right of landing. The branches USED to hang low. They currently do not. Also did you see where I said I already hit it. I dont believe I got impaled. I'll go recheck.

Hadn't ridden 1/4 Notch in a good while since I've been riding mostly just Snail, Rim, and DD. Decided to ride 1/4 today though (W-E) and noticed a few trail mods, one where rocks were moved to make the obstacle easier and another where an alternate path had been worn in around an obstacle that isn't even difficult. Sheesh - shit like that really pisses me off. Snaggle Rock seemed to be modified as well, but frankly it seems to be a little bit different every time I come across it these days. Probably just a combination of people dumbing it down and then attempting to build it back up.     

• Like 2

Hadn't ridden 1/4 Notch in a good while since I've been riding mostly just Snail, Rim, and DD. Decided to ride 1/4 today though (W-E) and noticed a few trail mods, one where rocks were moved to make the obstacle easier and another where an alternate path had been worn in around an obstacle that isn't even difficult. Sheesh - shit like that really pisses me off. Snaggle Rock seemed to be modified as well, but frankly it seems to be a little bit different every time I come across it these days. Probably just a combination of people dumbing it down and then attempting to build it back up.     
It's a never ending battle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

last night about 10:30 on picnic approached an oncoming rider that pulled over and as I was thanking him for the pass, realized in was a police officer. Did something happen out there to have them patrolling the mtb trails that late? Also noticed all this extra traffic on the trails has made it b-line maze down there. Most making no sense at all.

12 minutes ago, 4fun said:

last night about 10:30 on picnic approached an oncoming rider that pulled over and as I was thanking him for the pass, realized in was a police officer. Did something happen out there to have them patrolling the mtb trails that late? Also noticed all this extra traffic on the trails has made it b-line maze down there. Most making no sense at all.

They were out there this weekend ensuring people were following guidelines for social distancing and whatnot. I’m surprised he would have been out there that late. Maybe he was just enjoying the trails lol 

40 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

They were out there this weekend ensuring people were following guidelines for social distancing and whatnot. I’m surprised he would have been out there that late. Maybe he was just enjoying the trails lol 

I figured what a gig. Paid to night ride trails!

That b line on the altar is very heartbreaking to see people take it.  It took me several months to clear those step ups on 1/4 a couple of years back. Put the work and enjoy the accomplishment ! Thats what its about!

Saw a rider with full face helmet, padded up and kitted out take the b-line....I was cheering him on to go down the a-line but I don’t think he heard me because of both ears being plugged up with ear buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Morris said:

That b line on the altar is very heartbreaking to see people take it.  It took me several months to clear those step ups on 1/4 a couple of years back. Put the work and enjoy the accomplishment ! Thats what its about!

I know... I'll get blowback on this... But no, Morris... That's not "...what it's about...".

Now, as I've said before... I'm a big fan of yours... But riding isn't about trying to get more skilled to do harder sections... Riding is about enjoyment... And different people have different measures regarding what enjoyment to them is. Right here on this board we have different people saying that they will do so much and no more. So if you go further than them are going to accuse them of not doing "...what it's about..."?

If you're a pro then you gotta make the grade and do what pros do. But if you're just an amateur rider you only have to do what you feel comfortable doing. And should be able to do so without having to be confronted by some people looking down on you.

A few days ago I went riding with my wife on the section of SATN that runs from the cave to Brodie Lane (I don't know the name)... She's ridden it before and enjoyed it, but for whatever reason, on this day she just wasn't into it and even made a comment that she didn't want me to bring her back on it in the future. I just smiled and said sure. And then I reminded her that Slaughter Creek trail, which she loves, is harder.

Some days people are motivated to do harder stuff... Other days people aren't.

And no, this isn't about putting in B lines for every possible harder trail section... Walking sections is a normal part of riding... It's about the opinion that taking a B line is somehow always a cop-out to not putting in the work... Which it isn't.

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Like 1