IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

49 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

No rain east of Brushy since the sprinkles mentioned earlier. Anything Westside?

1.5 miles west of YMCA and got nothing. As a matter of fact I’m 6 beers deep at the pool and it’s been great out here for the last few hours. 

2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Just got back from SN, definitely started thick and humid but improved. Trails were dry but not dusty. 

Man, I finally am spending time out at the Ninja and learning my way around. Holy balls that stuff is fun when you kinda start knowing generally how to go. 

I must’ve ended up on the church stuff because I came upon the jump lines for the first time and let out a “Holy S***!”

I hit that small drop like 6 times. My fav run at it was the first one I did with loads of speed from the top of the run-in trail. But man, thank you to the church and that 512Freeride (I think/hope) crew. That stuff is, dare I say, real dope. Respect. The bad news is I've recently learned how to halfass jump. I can’t wait to at least clear the tables(?) for the first time, but those wooden booter deals look and feel awesome. Ugh.  

• Like 1

It's Freeride512 - get it right 😆 Yes, thanks to our church for letting us build out there and huge thanks to KOM. Brett has donated his time and resources personally. We wouldn't be where we are without him. There is much more to come . . . I've been swamped at work, but will get out tomorrow. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

It's Freeride512 - get it right 😆 Yes, thanks to our church for letting us build out there and huge thanks to KOM. Brett has donated his time and resources personally. We wouldn't be where we are without him. There is much more to come . . . I've been swamped at work, but will get out tomorrow. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

My bad! And thanks Brizzett! I was so stoked on that small drop, haha just grinning and doing it over and over. Landing buttery smooth is such a good feeling. And the feature felt so stable and trustable. All that stuff, to me, for what little I know about that stuff, is really legit and seems awesomely (being) done. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 12:16 PM, Morealice said:

But did someone actually break their leg there? I need the juicy details. Stories like that give me life. 

Happen to come across this person today. It was a lady and she was proud to point out that the sign is there because of her and tell me what happened. And its really nothing dramatic. It was in 2017 and she was on her first night ride with a group riding W to E, as she went down the first step there at the top her handle bars hit a branch and knocked her off the bike and she fell and landed on a stump breaking her femur. 

36 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

Happen to come across this person today. It was a lady and she was proud to point out that the sign is there because of her and tell me what happened. And its really nothing dramatic. It was in 2017 and she was on her first night ride with a group riding W to E, as she went down the first step there at the top her handle bars hit a branch and knocked her off the bike and she fell and landed on a stump breaking her femur. 

It would be so cool if we had all the carnage documented...although half of the list would be me I think. That's 2 femurs I am aware of broken at Brushy Trails...

Trails need time to dry this morning. 1/4 notch is rideable but as soon as you get moisture on your tire things get sketchy. 

Picnic is soft. Didn’t check anything else since these two trails are usually good barometers for everything else. 

With some sun things should dry quickly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, quixoft said:

I'm in for torn ligaments in the wrist after tossing myself over the bars.

My only serious injury at Brushy was damage to the right brachial plexus nerve complex from driving my head into the ground at an angle and forcefully stretching my neck. My arm stayed numb for seven weeks, and even to this day, years later, every now and again I feel an electrical jolt between my neck and shoulder when I make certain movements.  

12 minutes ago, throet said:

My only serious injury at Brushy was damage to the right brachial plexus nerve complex from driving my head into the ground at an angle and forcefully stretching my neck. My arm stayed numb for seven weeks, and even to this day, years later, every now and again I feel an electrical jolt between my neck and shoulder when I make certain movements.  

So I have some experience with this. TLDR go get looked at by Randall Dryer at Central Texas Spine Institute.

I had two collapsed discs in my neck(C5-C6/C6-C7) from 30 years of contact sports and general dumbassery. Got to point that the nerves were compressed so bad that both arms were numb, severe pain between neck and shoulder like you, and weakness. Got to the point that I couldn't hold my hockey stick in my hand and had to quit playing. 

Went to two doctors and both wanted to do a two level fusion after PT and steroid injections failed to help. That would have been a year long recovery, loss of range of motion, and more pressure on the discs above and below so future surgery was likely. 

I was 39 years old at the time and luckily a friend referred me to Dryer for a third opinion. He said absolutely do not do a fusion and that I was a perfect candidate for Mobi-C implants which are basically fake discs. He did the surgery and I was back on the ice playing hockey 6 weeks post surgery and back to 100% after about 3 months post op. It's been three years now and it's like it never happened. No pain, no weakness, no numbness or tingling and no loss of range of motion. The best decision I ever made was getting that third opinion. Now I can also say I'm a cyborg as this is my neck now with the fake discs. There is a little plastic like ball in between each plate that you can't see on the xray that allows for full range of motion. Technology is great!

Vhw5nx9.jpg

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

That is bad ass!  Fake discs seems like such a better approach than fusing together something that evolution worked so hard perfecting at to allow motion.

Yep. They hold up well too. I've gotten checked pretty hard quite a few times on the ice since the surgery with my head snapping in all kinds of different directions with zero issues.

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

So I have some experience with this. TLDR go get looked at by Randall Dryer at Central Texas Spine Institute.

I had two collapsed discs in my neck(C5-C6/C6-C7) from 30 years of contact sports and general dumbassery. Got to point that the nerves were compressed so bad that both arms were numb, severe pain between neck and shoulder like you, and weakness. Got to the point that I couldn't hold my hockey stick in my hand and had to quit playing. 

Went to two doctors and both wanted to do a two level fusion after PT and steroid injections failed to help. That would have been a year long recovery, loss of range of motion, and more pressure on the discs above and below so future surgery was likely. 

I was 39 years old at the time and luckily a friend referred me to Dryer for a third opinion. He said absolutely do not do a fusion and that I was a perfect candidate for Mobi-C implants which are basically fake discs. He did the surgery and I was back on the ice playing hockey 6 weeks post surgery and back to 100% after about 3 months post op. It's been three years now and it's like it never happened. No pain, no weakness, no numbness or tingling and no loss of range of motion. The best decision I ever made was getting that third opinion. Now I can also say I'm a cyborg as this is my neck now with the fake discs. There is a little plastic like ball in between each plate that you can't see on the xray that allows for full range of motion. Technology is great!

Vhw5nx9.jpg

Wow! Real life bobblehead - nice! 
image.thumb.png.d9a33349969027ce2382a3f8c7ec4840.png

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Yep. They hold up well too. I've gotten checked pretty hard quite a few times on the ice since the surgery with my head snapping in all kinds of different directions with zero issues.

When I had C5-7 fused, multiple disc replacement for cervical discs were barely in trials in the US. I considered paying out of pocket and flying to Germany, but the expense was just too much. Follow up and "support" would not be feasible, unless you're among the significantly richer than me crowd. 

9 minutes ago, rugger said:

When I had C5-7 fused, multiple disc replacement for cervical discs were barely in trials in the US. I considered paying out of pocket and flying to Germany, but the expense was just too much. Follow up and "support" would not be feasible, unless you're among the significantly richer than me crowd. 

Yeah, I was lucky as there was a question on whether or not insurance would cover it or not. Luckily they did so I was only out of pocket my $300 deductible as he was in my network. Otherwise the bill would have been $30K which honestly I would have paid if I had to. Well worth it.

I actually didn't have any post op support needed. There was no pain, just a bit of stiffness and soreness for a couple weeks. The worst part was a sore throat for a couple days as he went through the front of my neck. No brace, no PT, nothing. He said just take it easy for 6 weeks and then live your life.

Edited by quixoft

46 minutes ago, rugger said:

I'd totally fly to Germany for surgery, but it looks like mine is about the same price. The 4-8 weeks of recovery would be great once I got out of the "no drinking" zone. Pretty sure there is not a no Schweinhaxe restriction, the only problem would be fitting into the airline seat after 8 weeks of German food and beer.

• Haha 1