IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

I love g-outs in general. That's what is so great about the new trails around up-town. In increasing order of g-out greatness... Bob Ross, SN's Roller Coaster, and Xtal Falls' Pleasure Loop.

I suspect I know where SN's Roller Coaster is, and that is indeed a ton of fun.  I have no idea what "Xtal Falls' Pleasure Loop" is, but I would like to find out. And Bob Ross is really well done, much prefer that to the original Up and Over trail.   That last g-out on Attack of the Clones, though, is special.  😄

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barry said:

I love g-outs in general. That's what is so great about the new trails around up-town. In increasing order of g-out greatness... Bob Ross, SN's Roller Coaster, and Xtal Falls' Pleasure Loop.

Yeah big g-outs with U shape are cool.  I do love Bob Ross.  But some of the ones on Rim and AoC, I totally identified with your comment about being glad you still have your teeth.  It was good to read someone else shares that sense after surviving one.  You must also love the big g-outs at Thumper.   Those are serious, with some added challenge from rock outcroppings at the top.

Rollercoaster = HawkJaw?  I really loved it.

Edited by AntonioGG
rollercoaster addition
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

I have no idea what "Xtal Falls' Pleasure Loop" is, but I would like to find out.

Crystal Falls. It's the new big thing. Strava calls that new(ish) g-out heavy trail the "Travisso Pleasure Loop." TrailForks calls it "Easy Street."

There's been a lot of changes since you've been away...

Edited by Barry
comma splice typo error.

11 minutes ago, Barry said:

Crystal Falls. It's the new big thing. Strava calls that new(ish) g-out heavy trail the "Travisso Pleasure Loop." TrailForks calls it "Easy Street."

There's been a lot of changes since you've been away...

Just FYI, Crystal Falls is private HOA, with a lot of resident foot traffic that would rather not have bikes on their trails... There's a good bit of controversy surrounding it already, so the more traffic it gets and the more it shows up on Strava, the quicker resident riders will lose it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Yeah that's it. And indeed that one tight rocky g-out is a bit scary. Every time I make it through it I'm thankful that I still have my teeth.

Haha. I've discovered that the key with that one (in either direction) is to ride it just like any other G-out and carry a decent amount of speed going in. It's intimidating at first putting your weight forward while nosediving in, but that along with a little push on the bars at the bottom to unweight the front going up seems to work really well. I find that the center line going E-W works best. I used to take a left swooping line going W-E until I followed @WLemke through using a line on the right, which is much smoother. Given the steepness of the opposing side though, you really need enough speed to keep from stalling and falling over backwards.   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, throet said:

Haha. I've discovered that the key with that one (in either direction) is to ride it just like any other G-out and carry a decent amount of speed going in. It's intimidating at first putting your weight forward while nosediving in, but that along with a little push on the bars at the bottom to unweight the front going up seems to work really well. I find that the center line going E-W works best. I used to take a left swooping line going W-E until I followed @WLemke through using a line on the right, which is much smoother. Given the steepness of the opposing side though, you really need enough speed to keep from stalling and falling over backwards.   

Your weight forward on the way down?  Then you push the bars forward.  Do you rock your weight back?  I find I push with my feet forward which transfers weight back.  In some cases I sort of manual it down if it's sharp.  But I would try a better way if possible.

Your weight forward on the way down?  Then you push the bars forward.  Do you rock your weight back?  I find I push with my feet forward which transfers weight back.  In some cases I sort of manual it down if it's sharp.  But I would try a better way if possible.

So I'm no mtb coach... but for me ...The main goal of pushing into the sharp g out is to compress the fork and keep it compressed as you come up the other side which reduces the shock forces on. If you lean back and go into g out unweighted the fork will violently compress once it hits the opposing wall and rebound with very little control because you aren't weighting or over the bars.

So pump INTO the g out and treat that particular one like you are doing a rock step up but without the hard pull on bars. Pump into G and then stand up and pedal out at top. It's better to stay centered over your BB

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Barry said:

I've been avoiding Dave's Ditch Waterfall for a while. Lately I take the first right through the 3 g-outs. It's nearly as fun as the Ditch. It's called Attack of the Clones on 

Just ride about 6" to the side of the wet line on the first roller and it's not that bad.  About halfway down roller you will end up in the middle of the algea, but it's much easier to control the bike from that point. 

I ride this about once a week and its had water\algae lately.  Just too much fun to pass up.  Love the rollers and hammering through the ditch.

Cant upload my pic here, but I uploaded to my ride from last month.

https://strava.app.link/98kz3C7rMdb

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Yeah but it was probably better described by @First Blood. More of a pumping motion as you transition from going down to going up. Definitely don't feel like I'm rocking my weight back. Maybe what I'm trying to describe is a sensation of weightlessness when you are able to pump through the transition and carry that momentum up the other side while essentially standing upright. I'm going to video myself going through there so that I can see exactly what I'm doing. All I know is that a couple of years ago it just clicked for me that I need to ride that scary G-out with the same natural movements that I was using on the rest of the smoother G-outs on AoC and Rim.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I was going to ask for a video!  A search returned a bunch of stuff on a trail called g-out, and some rolls to flat but nothing like what we have at Brushy. 

Looking forward to another round of videos showing how everyone hits a feature. It was fun to see things through @Morris's eyes last time :). 

I've got a line through the big G-Out that works sometimes W-E, but I'd like to get better. E-W I'm pretty solid.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, throet said:

Yeah but it was probably better described by @First Blood. More of a pumping motion as you transition from going down to going up. Definitely don't feel like I'm rocking my weight back. Maybe what I'm trying to describe is a sensation of weightlessness when you are able to pump through the transition and carry that momentum up the other side while essentially standing upright. I'm going to video myself going through there so that I can see exactly what I'm doing. All I know is that a couple of years ago it just clicked for me that I need to ride that scary G-out with the same natural movements that I was using on the rest of the smoother G-outs on AoC and Rim.   

It's interesting that different riders approach features differently with the same goals and feel in mind.  Words "neutral" and "weightlessness" are also in my head for this particular feature, but I seem to be doing it differently.  On the way down, I approach it like any other down slope feature meaning I am centered from a balance perspective, but my body/weight is further back relative to the bike.  I basically maintain this position (perhaps shifting my weight even slightly further back) at the bottom and on the way up, which means I don't carry much weight on the fork at that point.  I do stand-up at the top/end of the sequence, though like everyone else. 

• Like 2

Yes, thinking about it and reading it from other perspectives, I think it's what I do.  anti-row/row.  I do the same at a pumptrack.  I push on the way down then pull on the way up.  I may need to film myself too so I can see what I'm actually doing.  I never thought about the pre-load on the suspension though.

4 hours ago, schoolie said:

Looking forward to another round of videos showing how everyone hits a feature. It was fun to see things through @Morris's eyes last time :). 

I've got a line through the big G-Out that works sometimes W-E, but I'd like to get better. E-W I'm pretty solid.

Prior to y'all's videos, I had given one half hearted attempt a few months ago and shelved it, wary of the risks.  After the watching the videos, I tried both lines in earnest.  I made up each line on the first try, which was cool.  The problem is, I usually try new features twice to make sure I really have it.  The second attempts on each line had me looking up at the sky on my back with the bike on top of me, and that was not cool.  Anyway, I really like those types of videos even though I blame them a little bit for my most recently injury. 

On 2/10/2021 at 1:09 PM, gotdurt said:

Just FYI, Crystal Falls is private HOA, with a lot of resident foot traffic that would rather not have bikes on their trails... There's a good bit of controversy surrounding it already, so the more traffic it gets and the more it shows up on Strava, the quicker resident riders will lose it.

I haven't been out there for a few years now. Totally forgot about it. It's the weirdest place to get that much elevation is such a short mileage.

Hmmm...I think I've seen walkers maybe 3 or 4 times out there. Those were almost always nice weather weekends too. 

Any time I ride there I always make sure to be OVERLY nice to everyone I encounter. Try to keep everyone happy and that trail open 🙂