IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Any updates on conditions? Thinking Deception would be doable no?

edit: asking for a friend. If I don’t hear from y’all then I’ll go in the AM and chance a road ride 😬 hoping at least i can get the hard rough stuff. 

Edited by Morealice

2 minutes ago, Morealice said:

Any updates on conditions? Thinking Deception would be doable no?

edit: asking for a friend. If I don’t hear from y’all then I’ll go in the AM and chance a road ride 😬 hoping at least i can get the hard rough stuff. 

Unless it rains, Deception is good to go. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Unless it rains, Deception is good to go. 

I love you both. 
Replaced my cassette, chain, and chainring (went with oval for the F of it) earlier so I’m excited to feel that connectedness again in the tranny.

Funny part was I put my master link on backwards the first try and tried undoing it with the string method (investing in a master link tool tonight) and blew up like 2 links of my chain, lol. Good thing I knew I’d fuck it up and bought 2 chains. I’ll be replacing my chain like 4 times a year now. I was gonna go blingy light cassette but wussed out. 

not sure why I’m typing bold but YEAH SON looking fwd to riding in the soupy ass AM! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I have never seen a directional master link. Or they are directional and in 25 years I have installed 100% of them in the right direction without ever knowing it.

Me either! But this one has an arrow on each plate that goes the direction of the chain. Now I know. It’s a Sram XO1. The two I bought last night afterwards along with chain tool are XX1…assuming the same thing. 

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

I’ve taken master links off on the trail with rocks.  I use pliers at home.  I don’t get the need for a special tool and I’m the guy that looks for an excuse to buy a specialty tool.

Dude removing those things without a tool is an artform…one at which I am terrible, plus I don’t like the wear on my hands these days. Getting older. When I need that tool, with my negative experiences, it’s gonna feel like the best $16 I ever spent. No slipping pliers, no bullshit strings…just buhduhloop…done. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I’ve taken master links off on the trail with rocks.  I use pliers at home.  I don’t get the need for a special tool and I’m the guy that looks for an excuse to buy a specialty tool.

I just used my fingers for years. After buying the pliers I asked myself what kind of life I was living beforehand. 

I just used my fingers for years. After buying the pliers I asked myself what kind of life I was living beforehand. 

Ditto, but the 8/9 speed ones from 10+ years ago were much easier to undo after initial install. I can’t undo the 11/12 speed ones with my fingers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of the Shimano links were supposed to be single use. You can put them on, but if you take them off they will never be able to be reinstalled. To put it in perspective, when BSS upgraded my Blur to 10-speed, Clay showed me how to put the speed link on. You connect on the top part of the chain and then give the pedal a forward jam to "latch" the two pieces. When I asked him how to get it apart for service, he laughed a bit.

17 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

So do y’all carry the pliers with you on rides?  How big are they?  At home I use a pair of mini vise grips but I don’t carry them.  I think a Leatherman would work too.  I apply force on the plates, not the rollers like the special pliers do.

I carry these.

images.jpeg.dbe0eea51eba5bbcbec82436afbf62a2.jpeg

• Like 2

SRAM Powerlink are directional. 

Never had issues with installing/taking apart powerlinks and I have bitchass little girl hands. 

New chain every 1000 miles or less is the cheapest insurance to not having fouled up drivetrains, IME. 

Edited by rugger
  • Like 2