IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Seriously though - regardless of what the marketing videos show, the real front line for these bike sales is the LBS.  If someone goes to BSS looking at ebikes and talking about taking it out on the local trails, do you figure the salesperson tries to direct them to a non-ebike?  Does he even mention the local ban on motorized bikes on the trails? 

I'd be interested to hear if there are store policies on such things.

4 minutes ago, TheSarge said:

Seriously though - regardless of what the marketing videos show, the real front line for these bike sales is the LBS.  If someone goes to BSS looking at ebikes and talking about taking it out on the local trails, do you figure the salesperson tries to direct them to a non-ebike?  Does he even mention the local ban on motorized bikes on the trails? 

I'd be interested to hear if there are store policies on such things.

Depends what their margins are on ebikes versus regular bikes. 

..Al

4 hours ago, Chief said:

I used to roll off Collarbone instead of using the switchback between the rocks until onetime I rolled up to it too slow. I realized as my front tire was rolling off the edge that I was moving too slow and tried to ride it out. No OTB but lost control and landed on my left shoulder blade and felt something spear me in the chest. Tore the cartilage front and rear on my ribcage took about two and a half months to heal.

I’ve been OTB on this feature and all I could think of while flipping was “no collarbone breaks!”....luckily came out unscathed. Now I swing waaay left and go between rocks. I aint too proud. 

1 hour ago, HoneyBadger said:

I can understand why some people need to ride an E-Bike, medical reasons etc but both of these guys were young, in shape, and had no visible reason to be riding an E-Bike. 

Are E-Bikes even allowed on County trails? 

I wonder this as well. I’d like to know for sure before I confront anyone. I guess I’d want some kind of statute to quote...not like it’d probably REALLY matter in the end...but yeah, it would be nice for bike shops to educate people on where they can be used if they don’t already...but the only point of business at its core...make money

Edited by Morealice
  • Like 1

I can understand why some people need to ride an E-Bike, medical reasons etc

This is exactly why I think they shouldn’t be allowed on most trails. If you’re medically incapable of getting your ass out there under your own power, what the hell happens when the E-bike breaks? Who hasn’t had a mechanical that resulted in walking pushing your bike out. What happens to the boat anchor E-biker with health issues? SAR, EMS, PD...somebody has to go get his ass is what. Then we all catch crap about being a drain on wilderness resources, city services, etc. Very bad for the sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSarge said:

So the ads should show frail old men on ebikes dragging their oxygen tanks behind them instead of enticing younger?  At this rate we'll have hipsters wearing depends and riding ebikes at City Park.

Or you could continue to have lazy dipsh*ts riding e-bikes on overcrowded trails here in flatlandia.

Nobody said it had to look like an ED commercial either 🙂

Edited by ATXZJ

4 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I was resting at swag rock last Friday when two riders came up the bailout, both struggled with the last rock step up and had to push their bikes the last few feet. The 1st thing that was strange was they were both wearing full-face helmets, then I noticed one was riding an E-Bike...oh shit...that little voice inside my head started saying... "just be nice...Just be nice... just be nice". We exchanged pleasantries and went our separate ways. They headed East on 1/4 Notch. 

As I was cruising home along the BCRT  when I came across the same two guys working on their bikes on the side of the trail. I stopped to offer some assistance (which they didn't need).  The E-Bike rider very excitedly told me how he finished 1/4 Notch for the 1st time and he was so proud of himself. It took everything I had to not call him out on this B.S he was spewing. I politely smiled and went on my way, but in my head, I was thinking....no you didn't finish 1/4 notch, your bike did, you shouldn't be bragging about this, I feel embarrassed for you, and your lucky godirt isn't here.

I can understand why some people need to ride an E-Bike, medical reasons etc but both of these guys were young, in shape, and had no visible reason to be riding an E-Bike. 

I ride with super out of shape riders once a week.  They have no problem finishing picnic,, peddlers and 1/4 notch in a ride with a few stops in the summer. 

If he had said he just made 1/4 and all of deception and he has never been able o do that... well that's another interesting  conversation.

6 hours ago, Chongo Loco said:

This is exactly why I think they shouldn’t be allowed on most trails. If you’re medically incapable of getting your ass out there under your own power, what the hell happens when the E-bike breaks? Who hasn’t had a mechanical that resulted in walking pushing your bike out. What happens to the boat anchor E-biker with health issues? SAR, EMS, PD...somebody has to go get his ass is what. Then we all catch crap about being a drain on wilderness resources, city services, etc. Very bad for the sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil's advocate here, I rode Dirtbikes on remote Washington single track for years, short rides were 35 miles, long rides were 90-120. If we had a major mechanical that couldn't be repaired we were spending the night (or two). Bailing wire, spare fuel hose, duct tape and some backwoods engineering got me or my buddy back to the truck more than a few times. E-bikes need to obey all non-motorized rules/laws/regs but the risk is no different than dirtbikes, in fact arguably better. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tatternutz said:

SOS... lost my Apple Watch yesterday somewhere along my ride. Peddlers Pass, Picnic, Mulligan and Snail Trail. If you find it please post up. I went to back track after work but water from the sky kept me off the trail.  Thanks!

Must have been quite the wipeout - got any video?

4 minutes ago, tatternutz said:

Haha.. nah man no wipeout.  I can't believe I didn't realize it wasn't on my wrist.  It took me until I got home and was jumping in the shower for me to realize "where the hell is my watch"...

Bummer, man - I don't wear a watch, but does it have any kind of 'locate me' software?

1 minute ago, TAF said:

Bummer, man - I don't wear a watch, but does it have any kind of 'locate me' software?

It does and I've locked apple pay and reported it lost.  I love it because it is an extension of my phone, text messages, music, etc.  I guess I can now just eff that shit and focus on riding even more.

BTW, I finally have a Stella Ti.. the first time I saw yours I have been drooling for one.  

StellaTi-1.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tatternutz said:

It does and I've locked apple pay and reported it lost.  I love it because it is an extension of my phone, text messages, music, etc.  I guess I can now just eff that shit and focus on riding even more.

BTW, I finally have a Stella Ti.. the first time I saw yours I have been drooling for one.  

StellaTi-1.jpg

Sweet! I'll look out for you on the trails.

11 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I was resting at swag rock last Friday when two riders came up the bailout, both struggled with the last rock step up and had to push their bikes the last few feet. The 1st thing that was strange was they were both wearing full-face helmets, then I noticed one was riding an E-Bike...oh shit...that little voice inside my head started saying... "just be nice...Just be nice... just be nice". We exchanged pleasantries and went our separate ways. They headed East on 1/4 Notch. 

As I was cruising home along the BCRT  when I came across the same two guys working on their bikes on the side of the trail. I stopped to offer some assistance (which they didn't need).  The E-Bike rider very excitedly told me how he finished 1/4 Notch for the 1st time and he was so proud of himself. It took everything I had to not call him out on this B.S he was spewing. I politely smiled and went on my way, but in my head, I was thinking....no you didn't finish 1/4 notch, your bike did, you shouldn't be bragging about this, I feel embarrassed for you, and your lucky godirt isn't here.

According to Rugger, Williamson County doesn't allow them.