IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Sorry bout the rain guys! Got new bars, stem and brakes! Itching to ride and of course we have two weeks of just enough rain to make the trails off limits! On a positive note if spider mountain is getting any of this rain, those trails should be dialed for the race!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4fun said:

Sorry bout the rain guys! Got new bars, stem and brakes! Itching to ride and of course we have two weeks of just enough rain to make the trails off limits! On a positive note if spider mountain is getting any of this rain, those trails should be dialed for the race!

Is that all it takes now to make it rain like this for two weeks?

..Al

So as you could imagine Brushy is still way too wet to ride and as predicted there have been a select few assholes that have still been riding.

While building on Peddlers Pass last night I saw only one set of tire marks that had caused ruts. I went to finish off the work at lunchtime and there were four more sets of tire tracks. They caused nice deep ruts. Whoever you are, your an asshole. Instead of spending my time making the trail more fun, I had to fix all the ruts you caused. In the future please try to be an adult and have some self-control. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HoneyBadger said:

So as you could imagine Brushy is still way too wet to ride and as predicted there have been a select few assholes that have still been riding.

While building on Peddlers Pass last night I saw only one set of tire marks that had caused ruts. I went to finish off the work at lunchtime and there were four more sets of tire tracks. They caused nice deep ruts. Whoever you are, your an asshole. Instead of spending my time making the trail more fun, I had to fix all the ruts you caused. In the future please try to be an adult and have some self-control. 

I found the one that rode last night. I'll be leaving him a nice message. Dam it, just saw it a kid, can't use any bad language in my comment. 

Edited by HoneyBadger

17 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Just saw n his strava profile he's a kid

Heres my PSA to the kid

I'm one of the Brushy Creek Trail Stewards. Please don't ride wet trails. It causes ruts that damage the trail and we have to spend our precious volunteer hours fixing the ruts instead of making the trails more fun. With so little topsoil in Central Texas we do everything we can to preserve it, please help us out and wait at least 2 days to ride after it rains. However, with the amount of rain we've had over the last two weeks and the lower temperatures the trails will take several days to dry out once the rain has stopped. A good indicator if the trail is to wet is if mud is "caking" on your tire.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

Heres my PSA to the kid

I'm one of the Brushy Creek Trail Stewards. Please don't ride wet trails. It causes ruts that damage the trail and we have to spend our precious volunteer hours fixing the ruts instead of making the trails more fun. With so little topsoil in Central Texas we do everything we can to preserve it, please help us out and wait at least 2 days to ride after it rains. However, with the amount of rain we've had over the last two weeks and the lower temperatures the trails will take several days to dry out once the rain has stopped. A good indicator if the trail is to wet is if mud is "caking" on your tire.

Too bad there aren't a few signs like this at the trailheads.  

..Al

I think this is going to get worse - not better. The last few weekend rides I've taken on Brushy I've seen multiple people riding Deception without shirts, without helmets, and on Walmart bikes. These were all "twenty-somethings" who unfortunately are riding, I believe, not because they hope for this to become a passionate, life-long endeavor, but simply because it is one of the "cool" things for them to do right now. I'm confident that those same joy riders would view wet, muddy trails as being even more enticing. I did plenty of careless, reckless things myself growing up; so it's hard for me to be too judgmental. Still, it's a dilemma that impacts all of us who are trying to preserve the integrity of the sport and the trails.

I agree that signs specifically may not help, but ongoing education in various forms will have a positive impact, just like HB taking the time to give feedback to this individual. As another example, I met up and rode with some youngsters a few weeks ago who were riding as part of the Peddler's Wed. night group. They were clearly very interested in the sport and not just the activity, and they were getting great guidance from an experienced rider who was with them. The more of the young people who we can take under our wings and grow into the sport, the fewer will be left to ride recklessly and carelessly.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

Even if there was people would not stop and read it, they can't even pay attention to the arrows and ride in the correct direction.  

I agree that many people would ignore them, but some people would read them.  And you could point out the signs if someone tries to feign ignorance or states that it's not posted anywhere. 

..Al

3 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

Even if there was people would not stop and read it, they can't even pay attention to the arrows and ride in the correct direction.  

Some percentage of people will see them and ride in the correct direction.  Others will see them and intentionally ride whatever way they want.  And then there are people who are completely oblivious and won't pay attention to the signage at all.  But they certainly do help for those who are cognizant of their surroundings.  And the more who know, the more they can help educate others when they come across them. 

..Al

2 hours ago, throet said:

The last few weekend rides I've taken on Brushy I've seen multiple people riding Deception without shirts, without helmets, and on Walmart bikes. 

If they continue to ride Deception without helmets on Walmart bikes, that problem is going to take care of itself. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

Some percentage of people will see them and ride in the correct direction.  Others will see them and intentionally ride whatever way they want.  And then there are people who are completely oblivious and won't pay attention to the signage at all.  But they certainly do help for those who are cognizant of their surroundings.  And the more who know, the more they can help educate others when they come across them. 

..Al

Oh I know.  I just remember right after the arrows were put up, someone changed them to point the other direction.

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

TRAIL KARMA IS ALVIE....

I was building today when along comes a guy slipping and sliding on every turn. I called out to him, but he ignored me. Then wham, a big stick or rock got stuck in his derailleur and snapped it clean off...ha ha. I still walked over to him and told him not to ride wet trails. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

TRAIL KARMA IS ALVIE....

I was building today when along comes a guy slipping and sliding on every turn. I called out to him, but he ignored me. Then wham, a big stick or rock got stuck in his derailleur and snapped it clean off...ha ha. I still walked over to him and told him not to ride wet trails. 

This right here just made my afternoon.  Peddlers Pass got some revenge!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throet said:

I think this is going to get worse - not better. The last few weekend rides I've taken on Brushy I've seen multiple people riding Deception without shirts, without helmets, and on Walmart bikes. These were all "twenty-somethings" who unfortunately are riding, I believe, not because they hope for this to become a passionate, life-long endeavor, but simply because it is one of the "cool" things for them to do right now. I'm confident that those same joy riders would view wet, muddy trails as being even more enticing. I did plenty of careless, reckless things myself growing up; so it's hard for me to be too judgmental. Still, it's a dilemma that impacts all of us who are trying to preserve the integrity of the sport and the trails.

I agree that signs specifically may not help, but ongoing education in various forms will have a positive impact, just like HB taking the time to give feedback to this individual. As another example, I met up and rode with some youngsters a few weeks ago who were riding as part of the Peddler's Wed. night group. They were clearly very interested in the sport and not just the activity, and they were getting great guidance from an experienced rider who was with them. The more of the young people who we can take under our wings and grow into the sport, the fewer will be left to ride recklessly and carelessly.

There is not really a way to know that these things are frowned upon when one first gets into riding.   4 years ago, I was on my 250 dollar used hardtail with a walmart skater style brain bucket  in the middle of august in my Gym shorts and minimalist running shoes. I occasionally forgot my helmet when I would first go into the GB but only 1-2 times ever.  

I rode an trail or two in the mud and had a blast until the bike clogged, I may have even nicely stacked a rock or two against a "gigantic" 20 inch ledge thinking I was doing a service to people who rode bikes. (I'd come back to find the rocks gone and got the point).

Look at me now?

I'm a lycra wearing fool telling everyone to put on a helmet, riding up walls, and tossing stacked rocks into the creek.

Think of these folks as future mountain bikers who just dont know yet. There is so much about our sport which isnt publicly available knowledge, such as "which is better: riding through the puddle or around the puddle. "  If you just tossed everyone the key to a car, how would they know what to do without signs and training classes?

• Like 3