IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, FJsnoozer said:

There is not really a way to know that these things are frowned upon when one first gets into riding.   4 years ago, I was on my 250 dollar used hardtail with a walmart skater style brain bucket  in the middle of august in my Gym shorts and minimalist running shoes. I occasionally forgot my helmet when I would first go into the GB but only 1-2 times ever.  

I rode an trail or two in the mud and had a blast until the bike clogged, I may have even nicely stacked a rock or two against a "gigantic" 20 inch ledge thinking I was doing a service to people who rode bikes. (I'd come back to find the rocks gone and got the point).

Look at me now?

I'm a lycra wearing fool telling everyone to put on a helmet, riding up walls, and tossing stacked rocks into the creek.

Think of these folks as future mountain bikers who just dont know yet. There is so much about our sport which isnt publicly available knowledge, such as "which is better: riding through the puddle or around the puddle. "  If you just tossed everyone the key to a car, how would they know what to do without signs and training classes?

I too dipped my toes in the water that is MTB'ing by riding for a year on my wife's bike that she got when she turned 15. 12 years later it was practically new and hanging in her parents garage. It was a classy Mongoose MGX. It was a great way to try it without dumping money I didn't have into a new bike. I kept it for a few years as a buddy bike/ exercise bike until I upgraded it to my Ghost. My one regret is spending money on a CL fork. It was a good upgrade, but prolonged the inevitable. 

IMG_20130202_131848.jpg

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

I too dipped my toes in the water that is MTB'ing by riding for a year on my wife's bike that she got when she turned 15. 12 years later it was practically new and hanging in her parents garage. It was a classy Mongoose MGX. It was a great way to try it without dumping money I didn't have into a new bike. I kept it for a few years as a buddy bike/ exercise bike until I upgraded it to my Ghost. My one regret is spending money on a CL fork. It was a good upgrade, but prolonged the inevitable. 

IMG_20130202_131848.jpg

you were already married to your wife when she turned 15? are you taliban or something?

14 minutes ago, Anita Handle said:

you were already married to your wife when she turned 15? are you taliban or something?

I knew this would come up. We got married well after she received the bike as a birthday present. It was a bit of a sore spot when we were dating as instead of getting a car when she turned 16 (like so many of her friends) the bike she had got the year previous got a tune up. I think she put no more than 2 miles on that bike (or any bike) in her whole life. 

16 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

TRAIL KARMA IS ALVIE....

I was building today when along comes a guy slipping and sliding on every turn. I called out to him, but he ignored me. Then wham, a big stick or rock got stuck in his derailleur and snapped it clean off...ha ha. I still walked over to him and told him not to ride wet trails. 

LOVE when that stuff happens to people. 

Is there an official stance from the County or City or Parks Dept on signs at the trail heads indicating that riding\hiking in poor \ wet \ muddy conditions is not good? We all know douches will ride regardless but might keep the honest folks honest. 

Where is Ron "Effing" Swanson when you need him ?

7 hours ago, biga9999 said:

There are some, not on Peddlers though. 

Would be good to have some signs there at all the entrances, since it's a pretty heavily ridden trail, is very easy to access from the BCRT, and has a higher-than-average percentage of dirt compared to many trails in our area.  

..Al

On 9/10/2018 at 11:57 AM, Albert said:

Is that all it takes now to make it rain like this for two weeks?

..Al

On 9/10/2018 at 11:57 AM, Albert said:

Is that all it takes now to make it rain like this for two weeks?

..Al

Went and rode the regional trail with my 1 yr old in the bike trailer this evening and to no surprise saw ruts in the visible sections of picnic, 3 people with off leash dogs and one older man (late 60’s or early 70’s) on a mtb bike covered in mud who looked like he may have just come off peddlers pass! I wanted to (and should have) said something, but didn’t! Just not one for confrontation with one of my kids around and the guys age threw me off. He seemed to be well kitted and should have known better.

42 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Went and rode the regional trail with my 1 yr old in the bike trailer this evening and to no surprise saw ruts in the visible sections of picnic, 3 people with off leash dogs and one older man (late 60’s or early 70’s) on a mtb bike covered in mud who looked like he may have just come off peddlers pass! I wanted to (and should have) said something, but didn’t! Just not one for confrontation with one of my kids around and the guys age threw me off. He seemed to be well kitted and should have known better.

Saw him sitting under 183 at the entrance to Peddlers, freshly covered in mud.  I yelled politely, "do you think the trails are too muddy?".  Old fart smiled at me... I really hope his nuts get stuck on the toilet tomorrow morning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think polite confrontation is perfectly fine. If you’re with your kids, then simply stay calm as an example and if the other guy loses it, then there is a teaching moment for them to see how they should act in the face of pure stupidity. 

Just my 2 cents, but I personally really enjoy letting my kids get real world looks at how to properly handle assholes. This obviously assumes the guy would have been an asshole about it if your approach was polite. Base your approach in fact, also. 

• Like 2

Asshole and Clueless are two different characters. A smile on a mud caked rider could mean, "wow, that was fun" not, "I know I'm wrecking the trail."

So I would start a conversation with, "Do you know we are not suppose to ride the trails when muddy because it ruts them up and and causes them to erode more rapidly?"

If the guy says something, "yes, but it's so fun" THEN I would light into him with, "Well then you're just an asshole, aren't you?"

• Like 2

There are few enough entrances to these trails - especially Peddlers - what about putting up construction/hazard tape across each entrance with a laminated sign saying that the trail is currently closed due to wet conditions?  The assholes will still bypass it, but the clueless will at least learn that we aren't supposed to ride wet trails.

Of course, it could set the standard that if you show up on a wet day and there's no tape, then it's fine to ride.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fontarin said:

Saw 2 guys entering Deception yesterday around 5:15 or so while I was on my road bike on the paved trail.   Someone on a pink epic and don't recall what the other was.  Didn't have a chance to say anything to them.  Hopefully they realized it was too wet and turned around.    

Deception when wet sounds like a recipe for broken bones!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Skyyhorn said:

I can’t find where Honeybadger said it, but I took a sneak peek (by walking) at the surprises he has been building.  Those improvements look so fun.....now I just hope it drys out enough to use them soon. 

Thank you for the awesome new features! 

Haven't been out there in a bit, look forward to seeing them!