IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Hey people. 

Just found this website. Pretty active rider around Austin and ride brushy a few times a month. Been off the bike for 2 weeks as of now since I beat up my hip (at brushy) and also because the rain has been relentless. 

Hope to get some miles in real soon again. I'm always a solo rider on either my 27.5+ scott scale or my 27.5+ scott genius. Hope to see some of you guys around. 

• Like 2

Just got back from a trail walk. Totally hosed and has a few ruts from assholes. I got to yell at a few people for riding wet trails and feel better about myself for it. 

The bad part of my hike was that my hidden stash/tackle box is inundated with water. My weed was totally soaked and my snacks were disgusting. The tools and non-edible supplies were fine though. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MrMentallo said:

Just got back from a trail walk. Totally hosed and has a few ruts from assholes. I got to yell at a few people for riding wet trails and feel better about myself for it. 

The bad part of my hike was that my hidden stash/tackle box is inundated with water. My weed was totally soaked and my snacks were disgusting. The tools and non-edible supplies were fine though. 

Hopefully another day or two of sunshine will get things dried out sufficiently.

15 minutes ago, MrMentallo said:

Which trails did you walk? I rode past peddlers and could tell it was way to soft from what I could eye from the crushed granite near the sports park. 1/4 notch was tacky in spots and no ruts, but I decided to walk out to snaggle rock and walk out the bailout since it was borderline.  I rode the rest of the regional trail towards the ymca and picnic and picnic x looked in potentially better shape than peddlers, but not rideable. 

I rode the regional trail between the YMCA and Brushy Creek Lake Park. Didn't see any interlopers on the trails, and actually from what I could see, things were looking pretty good for possibly mid-day tomorrow. Then I got home and it started pouring down rain again - damn! Hopefully I didn't anger the trail gods by sprinting up and down the jeep road and the other climb up to Avery Ranch where the old Deception entrance was. Both of those sprint tracks were in fine shape.    

Sucks.
If it makes you feel better .. Me and Smithy smoked the weed and just filles that ziplock with grass trimmings.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Sucks.
If it makes you feel better .. Me and Smithy smoked the weed and just filles that ziplock with grass trimmings.

I just want to make this clear, smoking all your weed was my idea, the grass trimmings were all Cafend's idea, and yeah, your twinkies were soaked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

Which trails did you walk? I rode past peddlers and could tell it was way to soft from what I could eye from the crushed granite near the sports park. 1/4 notch was tacky in spots and no ruts, but I decided to walk out to snaggle rock and walk out the bailout since it was borderline.  I rode the rest of the regional trail towards the ymca and picnic and picnic x looked in potentially better shape than peddlers, but not rideable. 

The entire length of 1/4 Notch and most of DD. DD was worse than 1/4 was. The Vortex area was swampy and I felt bad just walking through there. The usual spots were wet like rainy day berm and I could tell the turn and rock down to Lloyd Bridges would be slick and janky. I walked past Peddlers trying to peep the new stuff. Peddlers was wet but well on it's way to being rideable (not yet though). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Sucks.

I'm going to take one of my daughter's old stuffed animals, rename it Tommy and hit it with a hammer when I get mad. 

2 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

I just want to make this clear, smoking all your weed was my idea, the grass trimmings were all Cafend's idea, and yeah, your twinkies were soaked.

You guys are liars, they were ho-ho's and oatmeal cream pies.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 2112Greg said:

Any updates from today?  Was hoping that there was be some rideable stuff out there...what's the story?

I'm getting ready to head out to see how things are looking. Generally if anything's going to be OK it is 1/4 Notch. I'll go in on the west end, climbing up the Swag Bail. Assuming everything is OK going up the climb, which I'm sure it will be, then I'll know within about 500 yards or so how the rest of the trail is going to be. Assuming I'm not having too much fun, I'll stop and post a report. 

• Like 2

1/4 notch is mostly dry with several shaded areas still tacky. Nothing sticking to tires though and no slick rocks. Haven't checked anything else out here. 

EDIT: Rode Lower Picnic and Picnic X and both were fine, although another day of drying out will make conditions ideal. A lot of leaves covering the trail, but nothing slick. Only a few spots on 1/4 Notch and Picnic showing evidence of riding during wet conditions - nothing too terrible. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 4

Piggy backing off Throet's post, Mulligan was fine.  Peddler's East was mostly ok, but I dropped off the halfway point because I saw some pretty bad ruts on the berms.  There wasn't much sticking to my tires, but I didn't wanna mess up any of the new stuff.  I didn't bother with Peddler's West.  I expect Peddler's East will be fine tomorrow evening, if not tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Morealice said:

Sweet! Gonna hit today and/or tomorrow. Thanks for reports, guys!

I think we're over the hump on the horrendous heat too. Don't get me wrong - it's still hot as hell. However, I rode for 1.5 hours yesterday starting at 5pm with a fairly fast run on 1/4 Notch, and it really wasn't that bad. Going back out today around the same time and will likely tackle Double Down. 

• Like 1

Someone just posted on Facebook that they encountered two kids (roughly ages 12 and 14) on 50cc bikes at the splash park east of Parmer.  He's not sure if they were riding the trails or not, but he said they had a lot of mud on their bikes.  The kids claimed they hadn't been on the trails.  He didn't see any evidence that they were on the trails, but please do keep your eyes (and ears) open!