IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

I was looking on Strava today at some times.  For 1/4 notch it says the top time is about 14 minutes?   Is that really right?  Someone is doing ALL of quarter notch in less than 15 minutes???  Hell, I'd be super impressed with 20.  
Most likely not. In general strava is fairly unreliable in twistier trail systems

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My best time is 19:57 E-W and I'm nowhere near those guys at the top as far as fitness or weight and I dismount for Sponge Bob (easily 30 seconds even with Cx dismount).  I think that 13:50 from Matt Barkley is for real (you would too if you've ridden with him) and it was likely set on a singlespeed.  

• Like 2

I can believe times like that from Matt, Dave, AJ, I am sure there are others. 

Dismount Spongebob E-W? You don't mean W-E? C'mon, if you have gotten that far you can easily roll it, give it a try, I bet you can easily do it. 

Albert, it's the rock that looks like Spongebob, duh. It's a ledge to a slope to a flat dry creek face: 

31 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

My best time is 19:57 E-W and I'm nowhere near those guys at the top as far as fitness or weight and I dismount for Sponge Bob (easily 30 seconds even with Cx dismount).  I think that 13:50 from Matt Barkley is for real (you would too if you've ridden with him) and it was likely set on a singlespeed.  

If ya'll are going to ask about times then I'm assuming the main source would be from Strava?  If so then what segment are you referring to?    If its Chunky Monkey (2.8mi), then my best time is 17:02 from about 1.5 yrs ago.  The best time on my "peer leaderboard" is 15:52 from John Russell (he won 24HR RHR this year).  So, I think for the most part the times are legit.  But I will say this though....many of those Overall Top 10 times are from 2012' (& 14') and I think the trail was a good bit faster back then.  Over time the trail has evolved to become more rocky and chunky.

Later,
CJB

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

It wouldn't surprise me on a singlespeed, SS is fast on trails like 1/4; when I was in decent shape I always finished faster on my SS, because you have to ride with momentum and are forced to hammer any ascents, which means you are moving much faster, and there aren't enough fast descents for it to count against you.

With that said, I did some controlled experimenting with Strava a few years ago, testing consistency, cheats, etc, and it was surprisingly unreliable, especially on trails that are shorter, spaghetti-like, or have lots of switchback, tight turns and parallels; one of the reasons I didn't keep using it. It's also really easy to "cheat" on such trails.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

You can check the recorded segments to see if there is some of that going on.  For something like Mulligan, it's awful.  But 1/4 has a big distance between the start and the finish, and the finish (at the bailout) is not close to a parallel trail on 1/4 notch (which is usually what triggers Strava to end a segment sooner).  Ultimately, if you have a GPS recording every second you'll have a very accurate path recorded, and even better, you can always just hit the lap timer on start and finish and leave Strava out of it altogether.

I did notice those were all set in 2012-2014 @CBaron.  I'm sure you're right, the trail has gotten slower.

37 minutes ago, rugger said:

Dismount Spongebob E-W? You don't mean W-E? C'mon, if you have gotten that far you can easily roll it, give it a try, I bet you can easily do it. 

I mean E-W.  I was traumatized by an endo at Thumper years ago in a similarly benign ledge with a little rock below it.  It just unnerves me.  I will try it at some point, and I installed the dropper back on my bike just so I could get over it.  The little amount of Brushy Creek riding these last 3 months isn't helping either.

BTW, some of those earlier top times have a missing bit of trail towards the middle third. I don't know if those folks skipped some section to get better times, or if back in 2014 the path was optional or just not as clear. 

missing bit.JPG

• Like 1

Using both a smart watch and a bike computer I've found the GPS in the watch is consistently lagging by just shy of 1/10 mile for each trail mile the bike computer counts wheel revolutions for. (measured rolling diameter used to calibrate the bike computer)  A recent 15.6 mile ride on the computer indicated 14.1 on the GPS based watch app.

GPS is taking points at a timed interval and calculating speed and distance. Riding more consistently on a curve or arc, instead of a straight line, actually travels further than the distance GPS calculates by drawing straight lines between the points it records.

The more points per minute it takes the more accurate GPS can be. (though there can be other gains or losses inherent to GPS)

Likewise, the twister the trail, the less distance than actually ridden may be recorded by a GPS based app.

Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaava uploads that are based on GPS will be a more useful and accurate tool for those who spend more of their time riding in a straight line than for those riding one curve after another.

YMMV (ha ha)

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

BTW, some of those earlier top times have a missing bit of trail towards the middle third. I don't know if those folks skipped some section to get better times, or if back in 2014 the path was optional or just not as clear. 

missing bit.JPG

Yeah, I had noticed that too way back when I was digging through the standings.  I didn't want to be so pedantic as to point it out (at same time as my segment time).  So thanks for the assist! 😉 

I do think there may have been some kind or re-route or addition in there at some point (past 4-5 yrs).

Later,
CJB

The Josh N Josh Show.

Threw down a solid first effort on Peddlers Pass. 32 mins and that's with sessioning a few spots and stopping for a group ride of little bellas for a bit and pulling over to let one few riders pass. I gotta say that was pretty fun. 6eb342d424836be2beeec3c99ebbe9ec.jpg8f8d9cef94de23e3e7ac637a2b4accef.jpg

• Like 7

The Josh N Josh Show.
Threw down a solid first effort on Peddlers Pass. 32 mins and that's with sessioning a few spots and stopping for a group ride of little bellas for a bit and pulling over to let one sweaters pass. I gotta say that was pretty fun. 6eb342d424836be2beeec3c99ebbe9ec.jpg8f8d9cef94de23e3e7ac637a2b4accef.jpg

Badass!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The Josh N Josh Show.
Threw down a solid first effort on Peddlers Pass. 32 mins and that's with sessioning a few spots and stopping for a group ride of little bellas for a bit and pulling over to let one few riders pass. I gotta say that was pretty fun. 6eb342d424836be2beeec3c99ebbe9ec.jpg8f8d9cef94de23e3e7ac637a2b4accef.jpg

Gamers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

You can check the recorded segments to see if there is some of that going on.  For something like Mulligan, it's awful.  But 1/4 has a big distance between the start and the finish, and the finish (at the bailout) is not close to a parallel trail on 1/4 notch (which is usually what triggers Strava to end a segment sooner).  Ultimately, if you have a GPS recording every second you'll have a very accurate path recorded, and even better, you can always just hit the lap timer on start and finish and leave Strava out of it altogether.

I did notice those were all set in 2012-2014 @CBaron.  I'm sure you're right, the trail has gotten slower.

I mean E-W.  I was traumatized by an endo at Thumper years ago in a similarly benign ledge with a little rock below it.  It just unnerves me.  I will try it at some point, and I installed the dropper back on my bike just so I could get over it.  The little amount of Brushy Creek riding these last 3 months isn't helping either.

The far right side of Spongebob E-W is VERY easy to roll...it’s virtually smooth on a 27.5” wheel.

give that a shot, just don’t catch your bar on the sapling to the far right...stay a bit left of it and you’ll see how easy it can be

Edited by Morealice
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Using both a smart watch and a bike computer I've found the GPS in the watch is consistently lagging by just shy of 1/10 mile for each trail mile the bike computer counts wheel revolutions for. (measured rolling diameter used to calibrate the bike computer)  A recent 15.6 mile ride on the computer indicated 14.1 on the GPS based watch app.

GPS is taking points at a timed interval and calculating speed and distance. Riding more consistently on a curve or arc, instead of a straight line, actually travels further than the distance GPS calculates by drawing straight lines between the points it records.

The more points per minute it takes the more accurate GPS can be. (though there can be other gains or losses inherent to GPS)

Likewise, the twister the trail, the less distance than actually ridden may be recorded by a GPS based app.

Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaava uploads that are based on GPS will be a more useful and accurate tool for those who spend more of their time riding in a straight line than for those riding one curve after another.

YMMV (ha ha)

I use a Garmin and then upload to Strava. I find that I generally lose .01 or .02 in the conversion so the anal-retentive in me tends to want to go a few tenths over because I hate doing 18.01 miles and getting 17.99 on Strava.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Morealice said:

The far right side of Spongebob E-W is VERY easy to roll...it’s virtually smooth on a 27.5” wheel.

give that a shot, just don’t catch your bar on the sapling to the far right...stay a bit left of it and you’ll see how easy it can be

I've always rolled it left-center but throw in a mini-manual to get my front wheel a little further out before it touches down. Still technically a roll though I believe since the front wheel is on the ground before my rear wheel drops off the ledge. 

Also fun to launch off the ledge right-center but make sure you have plenty of air in your tires since the landing area is rocky. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the tips.  I gotta say that rolling stuff is OK for me, but when I feel like I have to do a mini-manual to miss a rock on the landing is when I get very nervous.  I don't trust my timing.  It's also why I don't do lots of jumps and bigger drops.  I'm working on it though, with some wooden ramps I built as well as a table top I built in my back yard, I hope to synchronize my manual/pump.

I have meant to ask this but keep forgetting, the line to the left of the tree, is that a sanctioned alternate line or a cheater line that needs to be blocked?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I use a Garmin and then upload to Strava. I find that I generally lose .01 or .02 in the conversion so the anal-retentive in me tends to want to go a few tenths over because I hate doing 18.01 miles and getting 17.99 on Strava.

That's the worst!