IGNORED

Bike Theft

While not something easy for a shop full of bikes, this is a good reminder (from earlier posts this month as well) to run a hardend chain if you can. Even the shorty cable cutters will cut a standard security cable easily. I've got a hardend anchor into the slab and run a cable, but will be upgrading to a few hardend chains for the nicest of the bikes. 

just about every bicycle shop in the region has been hit over the past year, some several times. I'm not sure if this is a local thing or a national trend. this must be a professional job, not randos stealing bikes.

personally, I keep my bikes locked to a stud in my garage by a Kryptonite New York chain.  a determined thief could cut it and steal them, but they'd have to work for it.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

not my photo, but Peddler in Hyde Park got hit last night.

463835505_peddlerdoor.thumb.jpeg.b7c6a69832732d267a94da03f03914f6.jpeg

AJ said this is the fifth time this year.

Jeeze, this is getting crazy! I assume he is insured but still a huge pain in the ass for a small business! I hope they catch these guys soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ssorgs said:

Just ran across a series for FSBO of lots of "Like New" bikes and components.  All the ads start with, "I am selling my..." Sure looks fishy!

https://austin.craigslist.org/search/sss?userpostingid=7352311334

This is all this user's stuff.  A lot of it is 5+ year old bikes.  They may have just bought used inventory or something like that?

Edit:  Weird, different userpostingid but same stuff.

Edited by AntonioGG
same userid.

I'm familiar with the setting of the pictures. He's been doing this few years. I think this guy has a business of buying and flipping bikes and parts. I've never bought anything from him because I feel his prices are a little high for a used market, but hopefully his stuff is legit and not stolen.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think this guy's name is Jeremy and he's been at it for years. I've never bought anything from him, but for a while, there was another guy who kept post stuff like "Hey Jeremy, quit shit posting 20 bikes every day" and telling him to at least post in the dealer section. Apparently, he didn't listen.

Also funny, most of his post say "Without a doubt, this is the PERFECT bike for Austin!" If you're selling 20 different bikes ranging from entry level hardtail to full DH race sled, they can't all be "Without a doubt, this is the PERFECT bike for Austin!"

1 hour ago, ssorgs said:

Just ran across a series for FSBO of lots of "Like New" bikes and components.  All the ads start with, "I am selling my..." Sure looks fishy!

https://austin.craigslist.org/search/sss?userpostingid=7352311334

I've seen hundreds of bikes posed on the brick wall with gravel under it for years. if he's selling anythings stolen, he's miraculously good at staying beneath the radar of authorities. the text with the postings seem disingenuous and sketchy though, as if this is all his personal gear that he's selling. seems skeezey even if not illegal.

I fully agree not posting as a dealer, reposting same bike over and over should be reason enough to flag, and if this guy hadn't been doing this for years, it would tickle my spidey sense for sure.  I think I actually bought my Jamis Coda from him years ago. Did he used to post with garage door background?

3 hours ago, notyal said:

Yeah, I think this guy's name is Jeremy and he's been at it for years. I've never bought anything from him, but for a while, there was another guy who kept post stuff like "Hey Jeremy, quit shit posting 20 bikes every day" and telling him to at least post in the dealer section. Apparently, he didn't listen.

Also funny, most of his post say "Without a doubt, this is the PERFECT bike for Austin!" If you're selling 20 different bikes ranging from entry level hardtail to full DH race sled, they can't all be "Without a doubt, this is the PERFECT bike for Austin!"

Nelo's Jeremy?🤔 Wouldn't surprise me he was a POS.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, AntonioGG said:

That pink Orbea is the one I test rode and it’s pretty unique.  That frame is going to turn up somewhere.  If they moved out of state and with the price of those bikes, I hope the feds get involved.

The only time I did Hotter than Hell Hundred my Look 386 got stolen at the finish area.

I told the cops and their apathy was horrible. The response I got was "we get at least 20 stolen every year". It was said with the attitude of you can file a report but we're not doing anything about it.

I was amazed at how not a problem this seemed to be in New England.  Close to where we were staying in Charlestown (a block from Bunker Hill) there was a car parked on the street with a window mounted bike rack, and an upper-low end Specialized road bike just strapped to it, for several days and nights.  In Maine, kids would just leave their bikes in the yard.  In fact, one of my nephews left his bike downtown for 36 hours.  Crazy.