IGNORED

Bike Theft

6 hours ago, Chief said:

Ahh yes that's right Jeremiah. He was always a dick to me right from my first visit to Nelo's.

So he was a good judge of character 😉

I remember a different person at Ozone that was soooo annoying that I walked out the door with literally a pocket full of cash and drove down to BSS and bought a bike that day. Later a friend of my wife said "oh, do you bike, you must know my friend <X>, he works at Ozone." Um, yeah, I held in my tongue, but only because she was a friend and not a biker.

21 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I remember a different person at Ozone that was soooo annoying that I walked out the door with literally a pocket full of cash and drove down to BSS and bought a bike that day.

We have had the same situation TWICE with Peddler's North. In late 2018 @Jessica wanted to try out some gravel/touring/adventure bikes and the sales person argued with us and effectively refused to grab a medium for her to try (she hates cramped frames). So we went to BSS (RIP) and got her a 54cm Specialized Sequoia literally 20 minutes later. 

And just last week, we stopped by Peddler's after Red Horn during our Brushy/SubNinja ride. We were hoping to look at clothes since we both needed shirts and shorts. Our plan was to have a quick look, then come back after the ride. But we couldn't have a quick look, since there was nowhere we felt safe storing our bikes (I know this is a bike theft thread, not a complain about LBS thread, so here is the tie-in). There's no reasonable place just inside the door--it's super crowded with stuff right there. And they had their massive window blocked with an equally massive wall of helmets. There's no chance of keeping an eye on your bike while shopping, and since we were mountain biking, we didn't plan on locks. So, when we got back to the car at Brushy, instead of going back for whatever they might have had, we went and spent about $350 on clothes at Sun&Ski and REI. Contrast that with our bike shop tour just this weekend, where we took our bikes inside both Trek Lamar and MJ's with no drama.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:55 PM, mack_turtle said:

I've seen hundreds of bikes posed on the brick wall with gravel under it for years. if he's selling anythings stolen, he's miraculously good at staying beneath the radar of authorities. the text with the postings seem disingenuous and sketchy though, as if this is all his personal gear that he's selling. seems skeezey even if not illegal.

That guy comes up every so often on here/ Mojo, always the same story. My $0.02, a coworker got a bike from him, he seemingly runs a side hustle flipping legit bikes. Prices always seem plenty high, for what they are, even if they are the "Perfect Bike for Austin".

Contrast that with our bike shop tour just this weekend, where we took our bikes inside both Trek Lamar and MJ's with no drama.  

I always thought that was cool of MJ’s to have that indoor rack for customers. Shit disappears so quick down there. When I worked downtown I’d occasionally bike in and use their showers so the rack meant I could leave my lock at work and not drag it back/forth. They used to do a towel service for a buck, which meant even less crap I had to carry, so I’d grab something at the coffee shop if I didn’t need bike stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Apparently all these bikes have been ending up in Mexico...

https://jalopnik.com/colorado-cyclists-traced-a-ring-of-bike-thieves-down-to-1848254075

Here is the actual interesting details:

https://bikeindex.org/news/closing-the-loop-a-deep-dive-on-a-facebook-reseller-of-bikes-stolen-in

Edited by circuitbreaker
  • Like 1