IGNORED

Intense 951 @ COSTCO

I am not making this up. COSTCO is selling Intense 951trail bike and 951 XC bike online. 

for example, trail bike: $3249.99

• Lightweight Carbon Frame
  • JS Trail Link Suspension, a Great Balance of Climbing and Descending
  • 140mm Rear/150mm Front Travel from Adjustable Fox Shock and Fork
  • 12-Speed Drivetrain Offers a Wide Range of Gears for Easy Climbing
  • Internal Cable Guides Offer Easy Maintenance and a Quiet Ride

Estimated delivery for my zip code in Monday, June 28, shipping is included with the price. 

All sizes look to be in stock. 

• Like 2

I would buy an Intense from Costco, good brand, good store. More importantly, use your Costco credit card and get money back. And that also doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

It looks like it has some WTB wheels on it which would need to be replaced, but does have a Fox Rhythm 150 36 which is pretty nice.

https://intense951.com/collections/frontpage/products/951-series-trail

Very, very, very interesting.

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 1

Now the 951 branding makes sense. Might be a good move for intense to get some money coming in. Those frames are older molds so should be free and clear or dirt cheap for production.

951 trail looks decent but wouldn't touch that 72* STA XC model.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Costco has a tech support number listed on this page. I wonder what happens when you call tech support and ask them how to set the sag, or what to do when you crank down on the stem bolts and shatter the handlebar.

Indeed - and there’s a lot to be said for helping your LBS to stay in business. Can you imagine a world where there are no bike shops left, and you have to get your ride drop-shipped from a big box store?

Nothing is stopping anyone from requesting the bike be sent to a buyer disassembled. Then they can take it to the sacred LBS of their choice for professional assembly. 

Whats the wait time at shops these days?

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Haha 1

I was looking and expected something in the Costco listing that says "must be assembled by a professional bicycle mechanic."

I'm willing to give neighbors a safety check on their direct-to-consumer bikes and have offered to do so in various outlets, but it's rare that anyone even seeks such a service,. hence the number of bikes you see with backwards forks, disconnected brakes, etc. I am slowly weening myself off the drive to care about other people and embracing natural selection's ability to sort it out.

I sorta like it...the bike industry is going to have to evolve and adapt.  Not sure this is "it", but its a sign that some people are thinking about it.  What I don't like is the Sram NX spec.  Ugh...has anyone else ever had their hands on that stuff?  I installed a drivetrain onto a local neighbor kids bike after he saved up his hard-earned money for it.  Its very pigly, tolerances were not good and I had a very difficult time getting it setup properly.  In fact, it was after this experience that I decided to order up the new Shimano SLX 12 spd drivetrain for my back-up bike.  I've been very pleased with that purchase.  (I know they are not equivalent level components, but I think Shimano is rocking the entry level stuff IMHO)

Later,
CJB

• Like 5

With the current difficulty getting bikes, this is a good thing. Every since supply lines have dried up, I've been wondering what I would do in the event that the bike thieves hit my garage. Insurance and sourcing issues would make it a pain to rebuild my collection. But I'd probably have that trail bike ordered the same day. 

• Like 1

Tooling costs are amortized so these can be lower priced, it's a win-win.

Increasing their overall volume helps Intense's overall business (lowering some of the fixed costs per unit).

I agree that the assembly piece is going to be the weak link, especially the handlebars.

This might not be the thing to save the bike industry, but neither is a shop full of $10,000+ FS bikes. Bike pricing is out of control these days and that is just as much of a risk to the sport as e-bikes are. Both have a way of turning off buyers.

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

I sorta like it...the bike industry is going to have to evolve and adapt.  Not sure this is "it", but its a sign that some people are thinking about it.  What I don't like is the Sram NX spec.  Ugh...has anyone else ever had their hands on that stuff?  I installed a drivetrain onto a local neighbor kids bike after he saved up his hard-earned money for it.  Its very pigly, tolerances were not good and I had a very difficult time getting it setup properly.  In fact, it was after this experience that I decided to order up the new Shimano SLX 12 spd drivetrain for my back-up bike.  I've been very pleased with that purchase.  (I know they are not equivalent level components, but I think Shimano is rocking the entry level stuff IMHO)

Later,
CJB

I've never had any experience with the 12 speed NX, but my wife bike has the 11 speed and it has worked flawless the past 4 years and it was on a direct to consumer bike set up by me without difficulty. I could see the 12 speed being a little more finicky though. My 12 speed gx is a little more finicky than my 11 speed.

2 hours ago, CBaron said:

What I don't like is the Sram NX spec.  Ugh...has anyone else ever had their hands on that stuff? 

My Ripmo AF came with an NX 12-speed drivetrain and I fully expected to hate it, but I figured I'd just ride it until it broke then replace it with something "better". Well, after over a year of at least 2 rides per week it's still running strong. The shifting is crisp and precise and I almost never have to do any adjustments. My rides are typically at Brushy/Suburban Ninja, Spider Mtn, Reveille Peak, and it's been on a few out of town trips (Bentonville X 2, Durango). I'm not saying NX is going to outperform higher end stuff, but I've been really impressed with the durability and performance.

Of course, something will probably break on my ride this afternoon now that I'm giving it some props publicly...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, olddbrider said:

My Ripmo AF came with an NX 12-speed drivetrain and I fully expected to hate it, but I figured I'd just ride it until it broke then replace it with something "better". Well, after over a year of at least 2 rides per week it's still running strong. The shifting is crisp and precise and I almost never have to do any adjustments. My rides are typically at Brushy/Suburban Ninja, Spider Mtn, Reveille Peak, and it's been on a few out of town trips (Bentonville X 2, Durango). I'm not saying NX is going to outperform higher end stuff, but I've been really impressed with the durability and performance.

Of course, something will probably break on my ride this afternoon now that I'm giving it some props publicly...

Hey I truly am glad to hear you guys say that.  I'm all for lowering price points and trickle down tech.  I personally just felt that the "value" was low for what I saw.

Later,
CJB

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

951 trail looks decent but wouldn't touch that 72* STA XC model.

72.8* according to the Intense website. While I prefer steeper, 72.8* isn't crazy town. The geo #s on both bikes look fairly modern to me. They're not pushing any standards, but that's not what these bikes are about. The highish BB on the trail bike (13.6") and the 17.3" CSL on both bikes are the things that fall outside my preference zones. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barry said:

The highish BB on the trail bike (13.6")

Okay... this isn't as bad as I thought. The website lists 13.6" as the "low" setting. I assumed the other setting was "high." But the other setting is "lower." No information is given on the geometry of "lower," but one assumes it's...lower.  That's how Evil does it as well, with "low" and "x-low." 

image.png.0b9d55d5049d3fb5f52a269aedd522c4.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

72.8* according to the Intense website. While I prefer steeper, 72.8* isn't crazy town. The geo #s on both bikes look fairly modern to me. They're not pushing any standards, but that's not what these bikes are about. The highish BB on the trail bike (13.6") and the 17.3" CSL on both bikes are the things that fall outside my preference zones. 

I'll wager the Trail model probably climbs same as XC making use of the steeper STA.  I'm also fine with a 17.3 CSL on a 29 as I think the whole short chainstay fad was overrated. 

(IF) It were me, Id buy the trail model, toss a works 1.5* headset and drop the fork to 140mm. That'd steepen the STA, drop the BB and give it a proper HTA for more aggressive riding. Think overall this bike is a good value for a complete carbon bike. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1