IGNORED

rank trails in order of heat stroke danger

2 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

<snip>For WC picnic tables, maybe reaching out to YOUR member but also Leslie Pool (CM 7). Ask about picnic benches out there. Also ask if there is a way to fundraise for them if that would help. 

Good suggestion - Leslie is in fact my neighbor. What's your strategy for a mid-ride dip? Do you fully submerge and carry on in wet chammys?

I would think it wouldn't matter about "getting wet." I just got back from a ride. It's not even really hot yet but because of the humidity I was as soaked as I would have been taking a swim.

That's why it was so amazing riding out in Colorado and Utah's NO humidity. Ride for three hours at 100 degrees and finish with everything dry. Just freaky. On one ride Strava recorded 102 degrees with a "feels like" temperature of 97. I've never seen a negative "feels like" temperature before.

• Like 4

Do you fully submerge and carry on in wet chammys?

Flash back to the old BCGB sammich rides. We’d start at the pool, ride everything we knew on south side, drop down mulch hill to buck’s then stop at the dam and swim, have a sammich, then hit Ed’s bowl, dump truck, Rudy’s etc all the way back to pool. 4-5 hr epics I am in no friggin shape for now. [emoji3] after sweating that much that long swimming in the chamois isn’t any worse on your butt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 8:30 AM, TAF said:

Good suggestion - Leslie is in fact my neighbor. What's your strategy for a mid-ride dip? Do you fully submerge and carry on in wet chammys?

I saw a thread on Nextdoor today about our local Rosedale pool not opening this summer, despite assurances that it would. PARD following along on their strategy that taxpayers actually wanting to use facilities they pay for is just too damned annoying. At this rate, we won't even need a Parks Dept.

6 minutes ago, TheX said:

Our local pool is shutdown as well. Repairs from the freeze supposedly.

The reason given - I believe - is a shortage of lifeguards, but at the same time we have people on Nextdoor saying their kids are lifeguards and haven't been offered the hours.

19 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I'm trying to live by the advice "don't read the comments" and know that Nextdoor is just a big comments section.

new proposal: if you're not going to put water in the damn pools, let people skate them!

Oh man, we had a blast when they would drain our neighborhood pool in the winter in West Houston. Dropping in the 12' deep end was a blast to skate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bart said:

Oh man, we had a blast when they would drain our neighborhood pool in the winter in West Houston. Dropping in the 12' deep end was a blast to skate!

Yeah, I remember those days as a scummy skate rat. Those pools had so much vert and almost zero transition. Kept you on your toes.Good times!

Been so hot the last week, I've been avoiding doing anything other than the bare minimum outside.

Edited by ATXZJ

23 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Been so hot the last week, I've been avoiding doing anything other than the bare minimum outside.

Rode Brushy between 9-11 yesterday and it wasn't too terrible. Looking forward to riding in CO next week though, and may have to plan another trip in Aug. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, throet said:

Rode Brushy between 9-11 yesterday and it wasn't too terrible. Looking forward to riding in CO next week though, and may have to plan another trip in Aug. 

Yeah, Saturday morning wasn't too bad. My money is on Colorado ruining the rest of your summer here😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The water fountains at the 51st street bridge to cross 183 are operational, but the water looked yellow and it tastes nasty.

The water spigot at the YMCA is gone.  It looks like they're remodeling that hut.

The good news is Govalle park looks to be finished and they did an awesome job!  There's a fancy (stainless steel) water fountain with a bottle filler in it.

At other places, it seems like water pressure is pretty low on water fountains.  I've been just opening tickets using the ATX 311 App for that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:42 PM, ATXZJ said:

Have you ridden there before? Some of the stuff outside the park is actually pretty good. That juniper trail is as anti-fun as they come.

I enjoy the Juniper Ridge trail.  Haven't been out there in a while, though.  I think it would be pretty brutal this time of year.

11 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

The good news is Govalle park looks to be finished and they did an awesome job! 

Yes, I did a 50 mile loop between Walnut Creek and downtown recently and the route goes through Govalle Park.  Haven't done that loop in nearly two years, so was nice to see they finished the work at the park!  They were still working on the Montopolis bridge, though and I had to ride on the sidewalk across it.  I wonder when that will be finished?  Kind of surprised it's not done already.

• Like 1

Just now, Albert said:

They were still working on the Montopolis bridge, though and I had to ride on the sidewalk across it.  I wonder when that will be finished?  Kind of surprised it's not done already.

The bridge was open and the sidewalk connecting to the trail going to Roy G. is finished...I think.  It's open in any case.  I don't know if they were planning on resurfacing it.  The new sidwalk is about 1" higher than the surface of the bridge, so that made me wonder if they're going to resurface it.  There were some yard hanging lights in the middle.

To answer the original question.  Trails I would definitely avoid in the middle of a summer day:

• Reimers Ranch.  Very little tree cover.
  • Reveille Peak Ranch.  Mixed cover, but the heat radiating from the rocks is brutal in the summer.
  • Thumper - Any trails stuck in a valley with little airflow are sweltering this time of year.
  • Lake Georgetown - Just, no.  I'd get a lap in if I started right at sunrise, but would suck with the humidity in the morning.

Probably others, but those are the ones off the top of my head that would be far down the list if I had to ride in the middle of the day.  Most anything is tolerable for me if I start early enough (even with the humidity), but generally nicer if you ride late in the day as the sun is going down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

The bridge was open and the sidewalk connecting to the trail going to Roy G. is finished...I think.  It's open in any case.  I don't know if they were planning on resurfacing it.  The new sidwalk is about 1" higher than the surface of the bridge, so that made me wonder if they're going to resurface it.  There were some yard hanging lights in the middle.

Ahh, interesting, I did see the new sidewalks when I climbed the hill out of the park, but didn't notice the sidewalk was sitting higher than the road surface.  I would not be surprised if they resurface it.  There was a crew working on the bridge when I rode through and they had it blocked off (except for the sidewalk on the side).

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Ahh, interesting, I did see the new sidewalks when I climbed the hill out of the park, but didn't notice the sidewalk was sitting higher than the road surface.  I would not be surprised if they resurface it.  There was a crew working on the bridge when I rode through and they had it blocked off (except for the sidewalk on the side).

I rode the Austin loop CW instead of my usual CCW so the lip was very noticeable.  Incidentally I rode it this past Sunday which is when we had that monster pop-up thunderstorm downtown and the forecast was why I decided to ride it CW...and it worked out perfectly.  I took refuge under bridges and garages when the lightning was prevalent.  I tried to ride up Shoal Creek until, at the same time I notice water was coming up to the sidewalk/trail, someone was shouting at me from one of The Monarch balconies to hurry back.  Went back under the bridge to warn homeless dude to get out and eventually made it to an open bar and just waited it out.

• Like 1

People concerned with RPR, just take an extra 5 minutes and go to the gun range bridge on Graphite Mine Rd and drop a water cache. That's what I do now, since I refuse to were a full backpack. My 2L will easily get me to the back of the trails to the quarry/gun range bridge area where I can refill. 

30.79165100460675, -98.35612447015619

I REALLY miss the granite pool at the pavilion that was the BEST after riding an RPR. I can't even remember the last time I was there that it was functional/with water 😞

Edited by rugger
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barry said:

Except you're always next to the lake and an easy way to cool off. 

True, I think I've only done that once the entire time I've lived here.  😄  And at least you can get water at a few places, such as Tejas Camp, so that helps.