IGNORED

rank trails in order of heat stroke danger

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

True, I think I've only done that once the entire time I've lived here.  😄  And at least you can get water at a few places, such as Tejas Camp, so that helps.

Right. And literally every park along the way has a spigot...except Overlook. 

3 hours ago, Albert said:

I'd just be careful if there's any dew out there that might make things slippery.

I've also been in proximity of several rattlesnakes out there. One got a dog and one was the loudest that I have ever heard in my life. My guess is that they might be easier to recognize in the daytime (light) hours. 

12 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

I rode out there once at night and it seemed much harder to navigate in the dark compared to brushy.   Parts of the trail are not as defined because it's just rock .  I had to stop several times to backtrack to find the trail again.

I've had to do the same thing in the daytime in one particular section of the trail out there.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, Albert said:

True, I think I've only done that once the entire time I've lived here.  😄  And at least you can get water at a few places, such as Tejas Camp, so that helps.

I don't understand how one can consume a whole 3 liter CamelBak of water in a 3 - 4hour loop at LGT.  I'll stop on the second lap to refill but haven't ran out on a lap yet.

3 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

I don't understand how one can consume a whole 3 liter CamelBak of water in a 3 - 4hour loop at LGT.  I'll stop on the second lap to refill but haven't ran out on a lap yet.

I've found it to be a given in the 95+ heat that I consume a liter an hour on rides.

• Like 2

We did a wheels down 10am LGT loop out there this time last yr and about half way around we stopped to take a break from the relentless chunky gnarlyness of the place and see a pretty large Rattlesnake just hanging out on the trail, perfectly camo with the rocks and terrain right in front of us. The rest of the ride I felt like I was continuously looking for snakes and missing my lines and just thinking, get us outa here. With the Aug heat, we rated that place as, "The hottest mtb ride ever"and decided to try it again in cooler weather nex time. We were having post ride beers and talking about how weird it was to never see a single human the whole lap and how bad it would be to have a heat situation/bad bonk way back there. I rate this trail as the,"Hottest" due to exposure and mostly slow going trying to pick lines thru the ass pounding chunkyness.     

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

Everyone is different, and for me it really depends on how hot and/or humid it is.  If it's relatively cool, one three liter bladder is more than enough for me.  But if it's hot, I'll usually refill at Tejas to help ensure I won't run out of water.  Assuming I'm starting at Cedar Breaks or Overlook.

20 hours ago, JRIDER said:

I rode out there once at night and it seemed much harder to navigate in the dark compared to brushy.   Parts of the trail are not as defined because it's just rock .  I had to stop several times to backtrack to find the trail again.

I think I've only ridden some of the northern part of LGT at night (Overlook to Hogg or Russell and back, if even that far).  I've always wanted to do a complete lap at night, would be fun.  I find that I ride a bit faster on trails at night.

21 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I've also been in proximity of several rattlesnakes out there. One got a dog and one was the loudest that I have ever heard in my life. My guess is that they might be easier to recognize in the daytime (light) hours. 

I've seen rattlesnakes twice between Hogg and Overlook.  During the day, snake just sunning itself on the trail.  They seem to be pretty stubborn and don't like to move without a lot of coaxing. I saw a snakeskin hanging from a tree between Cedar Breaks and Cedar Hollow.  That's always a bit disturbing.  😄

I started at daybreak and finished at 11am. Pretty good trail. Has its moments. After 10 it was hot af and theres no refill on the south side.

With two bottles, I did run out about 5 miles from the end (Tejas). I did clockwise.

There is water at Overlook park. Water fountain at the bathrooms.

Definitely a trail for heat casualties. But the only casualty was my rear hub.

Edited by Trailrider

15 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I need 2 bottles per hour in the summer to not get behind.  I can do with 1 per hour but I'll have to catch up over the days after.

Assuming a 32 ounce bottle, two bottles are two ounces short of two liters, so you're stating that you drink two liters an hour.  I know that everyone is different.  I consume about 1/2 of that.  

Yesterday, for example, I rode to CF at 8 a.m., rode the trails, and rode back for a total of almost 31 miles with a moving time of 3:33 and still had cold water in my 3 liter CamelBak bladder.  I do start with about 1/3 of it frozen before filling it completely.  Oh, and I don't use bottles, though I've been considering an electrolyte drink.  I do consume blocks and/or gels with electrolytes in them, so there's that. 

1 hour ago, WhoAmI said:

Assuming a 32 ounce bottle, two bottles are two ounces short of two liters, so you're stating that you drink two liters an hour.  I know that everyone is different.  I consume about 1/2 of that.  

Yesterday, for example, I rode to CF at 8 a.m., rode the trails, and rode back for a total of almost 31 miles with a moving time of 3:33 and still had cold water in my 3 liter CamelBak bladder.  I do start with about 1/3 of it frozen before filling it completely.  Oh, and I don't use bottles, though I've been considering an electrolyte drink.  I do consume blocks and/or gels with electrolytes in them, so there's that. 

I think most standard bike bottles (I'm partial to Specialized) are 25oz or so, the longer ones are 28oz.  We're talking riding in the heat which for me is when the day is hot but dryer, which means after noon (and for me preferably after 2pm).  I prefer that because my sweat will evaporate and cool my core vs when it feels cooler but the sweat doesn't evaporate which feels awful.

At LGT starting at 8am in the summer I can do it with a 3L Osprey pack of water and a 25oz bottle with concentrated Infinit (think super salty more liquid goo).  Like others have posted, I do refill just in case when there's an opportunity.

Yesterday I rode from home to SN, did some of SN then rode back to meet my wife at a landscaping place. 2:54 moving time (3:15 elapsed, lots of stoplights which is the worst part) and just short of 34 miles.  I chugged 2 pint glasses of ice water at home before leaving and drank only 2 bottles while riding. I had a 3rd bottle that I didn't touch.  What I really wanted was ice water which I would have complemented the Infinit mix with.

I'm pretty aware of what I need to drink b/c of 24 hour racing with some of those races actually hitting high 90's in the afternoon and then getting pretty cool at night.  For sure I don't drink 2 bottles an hour ever hour for 24 hours but I do shoot for 1 hour per hour then supplement with water during the very hot hours of the afternoon.  I also know hydration and nutrition have a mental element to it.

• Like 1

The human body is only 25% efficient, so if a strong rider is putting out an average of 250W for a ride, he has to dump an average of 750W of waste heat through convection and evaporative cooling. A weak rider putting out 150W only has to dump 450W of heat. So there can be a big difference in how much coolant is needed from rider to rider.

Just now, Trailrider said:

The human body is only 25% efficient, so if a strong rider is putting out an average of 250W for a ride, he has to dump an average of 750W of waste heat through convection and evaporative cooling. A weak rider putting out 150W only has to dump 450W of heat. So there can be a big difference in how much coolant is needed from rider to rider.

Yep, I like 75 to 150 watts, though my peak power is likely much more. Ang I don't think I'm a weak(er) rider. I've got some top 10 segments on Lake Georgetown and even had a KOM for a while.  Not bad for 53 y.o.