IGNORED

rank trails in order of heat stroke danger

Got a late start on Saturday for a ride and overcooked myself, finishing up at 1300 hours. Though having a few Revolver Blood and Honey beers post-ride on Saturday when I should have been having electrolytes and water may have contributed to the malaise felt on Sunday.

Any plans for a Sunday ride were curtailed as I stayed inside.

After consuming copious amounts of water on Sunday I'm ready for a morning ride today, but still feeling the effects of exposure to too much heat from two days ago.

Edited by Ridenfool

We have scheduled 4 weeks in August and September to be out of the state, up in Santa Fe where temps are in the upper 70's or low 80's most days. Need to pack jackets for mornings. Last year we went in mid August and returning back in early September.  Getting back in early September to still 100F temps in Austin taught me that waiting and going a little later in the year is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Getting back in early September to still 100F temps in Austin taught me that waiting and going a little later in the year is not a bad thing.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some days in the 100s late September, with high 90s in October. 

We are out of tejas for a week in July, August and September for four separate trips. Two by plane, unfortunately.

All of this travel is a much needed break from the heat until our house sells. Then summers like these will no longer be a factor.

Oh, how I long for that chilly feeling of those highs in the 90s days once more.  😏

Today I managed to get in a couple of hours of trail work by starting as the sun came up and leaving once my clothes were saturated, by about 0830. If this can be repeated a few days a week perhaps some progress can be made on a project or two over the Summer after all.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 8:33 AM, ATXZJ said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see some days in the 100s late September, with high 90s in October. 

I'm getting a 2011 blistering temps - relentless drought vibe. There are a few days of 105 in the forecast 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I have summer SAD if it's a thing.  I feel happy when it rains, and somewhat depressed in these conditions.

I ran into this when we lived in New Mexico. Over 300 days of sunshine made daily life a surreal kinda grind. I'd get up and make coffee , to look out to the same view  every freaking day. It was like groundhog day in the desert.

Changes in weather really helps to break up the monotony.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

My daughter and her boyfriend are training for a 6-day Teluride to Moab hut-to-hut bike tour in August.  After not riding much this year, they returned from a trip out West determined to get in shape.  Unfortunately it is hotter than sin so they have to balance acclimatizing to the heat and humidity while also ramping up their mileage.  I have accompanied them on a couple of their rides and I think they will probably be fine, though some suffering is probably in order.  But what a beautiful place to suffer.  I’m hoping to do the ride next Summer.  Any thoughts as to whether there is any carryover fitness from training in heat and humidity to riding multiple long days at elevation?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hurronnicane said:

My daughter and her boyfriend are training for a 6-day Teluride to Moab hut-to-hut bike tour in August.  After not riding much this year, they returned from a trip out West determined to get in shape.  Unfortunately it is hotter than sin so they have to balance acclimatizing to the heat and humidity while also ramping up their mileage.  I have accompanied them on a couple of their rides and I think they will probably be fine, though some suffering is probably in order.  But what a beautiful place to suffer.  I’m hoping to do the ride next Summer.  Any thoughts as to whether there is any carryover fitness from training in heat and humidity to riding multiple long days at elevation?

We were the opposite.

We lived a mile above sea level for a decade, the last two was spent mountain biking at 7-8k feet. Went for my first ride with a group at the greenbelt august 2013 thinking that'd id be a hero. I was far from and barely finished the ride. There is no preparing anyone for the nightmare humidity, 5mph speeds, switchback/ledge trails that are here. IMHO, it is one of the toughest places to stay motivated as a mountain biker.

• Like 2

We seriously need some tropical rain maker to sit on Texas for awhile, otherwise it's gonna be a blast furnace till Nov. On another note, I dont have to mow my yard anymore, as its a dust bowl. Guess I could make some dirt jumps for the pit bike.

• Like 1

Did a little ride from my house to the HEB at Parmer and MoPac to recycle plastic bags as an excuse to get out and ride a few miles, incorporating part of the Northern Walnut Creek Multi-Use Path.  Got home right around 9 and it had that "it's starting to heat up" feel even that early.

Tomorrow (Sunday), in addition to being a total blast furnace, is an Ozone Action Day. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:21 AM, June Bug said:

Be careful out there, y'all.  Even you sweat hogs.  The forecast is in the danger zone - 105 or 106 today, somewhere around 108 to 110 for Sunday and Monday.

I don’t use an alarm so I figured if I wake up early today I’d go ride long, else a short ride.  Woke up at 9am and the heat index is already in the mid 90’s.  It will be a long trainer ride for me…first of the summer this year.  Even I know my limits.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 2:27 PM, AustinBike said:

. At the end of the ride my camelback was dry, except for all of the ice that had not melted. Did not get the mix right. 

On my last ride (three hours) I took great satisfaction that I didn't run out of water, I had just a swallow and two very small ice cubes left. A perfect mix!

• Like 1