IGNORED

New Cranks = No Oval Chain Ring Needed

At the risk of being someone I'm not...

I'd really like to see more on how this works but it is an interesting concept. I wonder how it compares to an Oval chain ring in power delivery. Off the bat, I'd guess the motion would be more noticeable than an Oval but maybe not that different than a running/ walking feeling where the down/up or fwd/back it's not 100% circular. 

https://www.designboom.com/technology/cerdan-crankset-increases-pedaling-power-06-30-2021/

5 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

At the risk of being someone I'm not...

I'd really like to see more on how this works but it is an interesting concept. I wonder how it compares to an Oval chain ring in power delivery. Off the bat, I'd guess the motion would be more noticeable than an Oval but maybe not that different than a running/ walking feeling where the down/up or fwd/back it's not 100% circular. 

https://www.designboom.com/technology/cerdan-crankset-increases-pedaling-power-06-30-2021/

Looks like something that RidingAgain would post up, defend as a great idea, and then never actually buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

that looks a bazillions times more complex, heavy, and expensive than an oval ring. I'd like to see the case made that it's worth it for the gains made with the design, but I'm skeptical.

I agree! I think this is a much more complex solution to a problem, that an oval chainring already solves from the view of mountain biking. In the on rode bike packing scene, it might make sense if you can run a double or triple chainring (if you're into that sort of thing).

does this claim to make a significant difference in power? moreso than an oval ring? I know the oval ring is very minimal but most people say they can feel it. the article says "offering more power and comfort without the use of a battery or motor" and that leaves me to believe that it's supposed to provide power like a motor. I'll bet is nowhere near what a motor would do.

reminds me of the urban legend about the American NASA engineers who spend millions of dollars on a pen that works in zero gravity, only to realize the Russians had a secret: they use a pencil.

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

It's odd that I never really see them compare to an Oval which is really their closest competitor, technology wise. Lame that they don't even endorse for MTB riding. 

It looks like chain tension has a lot to do with *at least part* of how it works. No rear suspension would point to that. 

just get some Shimano cranks and ride with the pinch bolts loose. eventually, you'll have the same thing.

I recall a woman bringing a bike in to the shop that looked like it has been ridden through a warzone. pretty nice FS mountain bike. the pinch bolts on the cranks were loose and it was obvious that it had been ridden that way for a while because the splines inside the crank arm were worn out. she said her boyfriend had been borrowing the bike to ride around town and left it like that. we didn't hear from her for a a few weeks, then she came in to get it all fixed at great expense. she said something about trying to get her ex-boyfriend to pay for it. yeah, lady, if his treatment of your bicycle is any indication of how he will treat you, he's not worth it.

Edited by mack_turtle

2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

It's odd that I never really see them compare to an Oval which is really their closest competitor, technology wise. Lame that they don't even endorse for MTB riding. 

It seems to me that their closest competitor is common sense. Who is this even made for? Not for offroad. Too heavy for any self respecting roadie. I don't see the recreational crowd going out of their way to make a modification like this. The testimonial on the page is by a recumbent cyclist. Maybe that's it. They ride goofy ass shit already. Also funny to me is the bike in the video at the top of the page. Full suspension Rockrider with aero bars and a kickstand. That's another slice of goofy.

• Like 1