IGNORED

Why is this still true?

TheX

US health officials warn against disparities in vaccinations, as 1,000 US counties have rates below 30 percent.

There are literally no reasons for not making an appointment and getting jabbed. No waits for vaccines any more, just make an appointment and show up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

US health officials warn against disparities in vaccinations, as 1,000 US counties have rates below 30 percent.

There are literally no reasons for not making an appointment and getting jabbed. No waits for vaccines any more, just make an appointment and show up.

yeah man, it's nuts. until we get enough people vaccinated or worse yet, infected this mofo is gonna keep mutating and never weaken.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

People have been conditioned to believe that there's some kind of gnosis behind everything, myself included. When I heard the vaccine was ready and safe, a little voice from childhood said "yeah, that's what they want you to do." People want to believe there's a nefarious force behind everything and don't want to be duped.

I think there's also a simple inability to accept what we can't understand. Covid-19 is such a massive clusterfuck that it's beyond comprehension. Like global warming or the military-industrial complex, people—especially Americans—can't accept that their individual contribution to the solution is not important if it's not part of a collective action, so they reject it.

I guess we'll find out over the next year or two just how deep paranoid conspiracy theory garbage has embedded into our collective consciousness. 

• Like 2

Australia closed their borders, and appeared to be waiting it out. They seemed to be doing everything right, and I was *shocked* to find out about their extremely low numbers for vaccinations. I guess I just assumed that they would be among the leaders. 

• Like 1

New Zealand did well too. it helps when your country is an island and you have relatively competent leadership. Their vax rate is still low.

I am also surprised at how slowly the EU is getting vaccinated. I have a friend in Germany who is in her late 30s and just recently get schedule for her first dose.

• Like 1

I sit pretty much in the middle of the responses to Covid, but I am 100% on the side of getting back to normal. That means getting everyone vaccinated. I have tried to understand the reasons that people have for not doing it, but none of them make any sense.

42 minutes ago, TheX said:

I sit pretty much in the middle of the responses to Covid, but I am 100% on the side of getting back to normal. That means getting everyone vaccinated. I have tried to understand the reasons that people have for not doing it, but none of them make any sense.

As someone who grew up in an Evangelical home, I can 100% guarantee you that a large swath of that population sees everything through the lens of "reading the signs of the times" and think that every attempt by world leaders to do something helpful is part of an evil plot to form a "new world order" that they think is foretold in the Bible. (it's not in the Bible, that's just one obscure interpretation that has taken hold more recently, especially in America.) John Hagee and the like. these people are brainwashed in their churches to think that everything positive for civilization is a plot to make them deny their faith. it's really unfortunate because the more facts, logic, and reasoning you use against this worldview, the more sinister you look in their eyes. their minds are like black holes. they live in an intellectual bubble and it's likely that their though leaders are true believers.

• Like 1

I was in Missouri this past weekend visiting my grandfather. He lives in an assisted living home and of the 10 times I went through the front doors, only once did they screen me. As I am signing the sheet I notice the column for fully vaccinated and I was LITERALLY the only person of the 20 visible names that said yes. These are people coming to visit their loved ones. The next day there was an article in the local paper saying that while the state was doing well with seniors, only 30% of the state was vaccinated. No wonder they are having a huge spike in Delta. Needless to say, the kids were masked the whole time (and generally kept out of public) and we went back to full shit-show protocols (6', wash hands all the time and hand sani, take-out only, etc).

Now Pops survived Covid already and has been vaccinated, so he may well be bulletproof at this point.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TheX said:

Australia closed their borders, and appeared to be waiting it out. They seemed to be doing everything right, and I was *shocked* to find out about their extremely low numbers for vaccinations. I guess I just assumed that they would be among the leaders. 

It's like a case study into the human pysche, although I suppose governments are involved as well. I don't actually know if rollout in Australia was slow, due to the low case count, or if vaccines have been available but few bothered to get them. I know some Aussies over there - I shall enquire.

Like most things, you have to start with the assumption that half the population is below average intelligence. [emoji849]

So half of them can’t decipher the bullshit thrown at them. Like my pops a 40 year educator always said dumb is always loud, defiant, and unwavering. When the scientific community speaks quietly with uncertainty, those grasping to understand will listen to loud and certain every damn time.

We used to be able to take the microphone away from idiots. And News was dissemination of facts not entertainment. Now any dumbfuck with a smartphone is a self proclaimed expert. And news outlets spout non-sense for ratings and care nothing about putting people in harms way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As someone who grew up in an Evangelical home, I can 100% guarantee you that a large swath of that population sees everything through the lens of "reading the signs of the times" and think that every attempt by world leaders to do something helpful is part of an evil plot to form a "new world order" that they think is foretold in the Bible. (it's not in the Bible, that's just one obscure interpretation that has taken hold more recently, especially in America.) John Hagee and the like. these people are brainwashed in their churches to think that everything positive for civilization is a plot to make them deny their faith. it's really unfortunate because the more facts, logic, and reasoning you use against this worldview, the more sinister you look in their eyes. their minds are like black holes. they live in an intellectual bubble and it's likely that their though leaders are true believers.

Mack_Turtle I hate almost to admit it but I've got some close family members that have told me straight up about the end of times and prophecy being fulfilled. Talk about the NWO and punishment. That Covid is straight up punishment
But you are right man... sadly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Below are the states and Washington, D.C., ranked by the percentage of their population that has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC. 

1. Vermont
Number of people fully vaccinated: 412,485
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 66.1

2. Massachusetts
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,287,693
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 62.21

3. Maine
Number of people fully vaccinated: 832,621
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 61.94

4. Connecticut
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,184,079
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 61.26

5. Rhode Island
Number of people fully vaccinated: 629,683
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 59.44

6. New Hampshire
Number of people fully vaccinated: 771,557
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 56.74

7. Maryland
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,423,288
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 56.62

8. New Jersey
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,955,488
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 55.79

9. Washington
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,206,349
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 55.24

10. New Mexico
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,157,532
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 55.2

11. New York
Number of people fully vaccinated: 10,646,324
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 54.73

12. Oregon
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,289,915
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 54.29

13. District of Columbia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 373,883
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 52.98

14. Virginia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,478,317
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 52.47

15. Colorado
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,018,088
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 52.41

16. Minnesota
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,950,723
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 52.32

17. Hawaii
Number of people fully vaccinated: 739,265
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 52.21

18. Delaware
Number of people fully vaccinated: 493,459
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 50.68

19. California
Number of people fully vaccinated: 19,949,682
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 50.49

20. Wisconsin
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,930,845
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 50.34

21. Pennsylvania
Number of people fully vaccinated: 6,428,133
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 50.21

22. Iowa
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,526,753
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 48.39

23. Nebraska
Number of people fully vaccinated: 928,701
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 48.01

24. Michigan
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,728,832
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 47.35

25. Illinois
Number of people fully vaccinated: 5,922,870
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 46.74

26. Florida
Number of people fully vaccinated: 9,983,279
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 46.48

27. South Dakota
Number of people fully vaccinated: 403,805
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 45.65

28. Ohio
Number of people fully vaccinated: 5,280,628
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 45.18

29. Alaska
Number of people fully vaccinated: 322,988
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 44.15

30. Kentucky
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,964,591
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 43.97

31. Arizona
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,172,380
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 43.58

32. Montana
Number of people fully vaccinated: 461,776
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 43.21

33. Indiana
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,875,407
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.71

34. Nevada
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,309,061
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.5

35. Kansas
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,233,258
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.33

36. North Carolina
Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,424,374
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 42.18

37. Texas
Number of people fully vaccinated: 12,091,994
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 41.7

38. Missouri
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,419,726
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 39.43

39. South Carolina
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,014,666
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 39.13

40. North Dakota
Number of people fully vaccinated: 298,138
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 39.12

41. Oklahoma
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,534,133
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 38.77

42. Tennessee
Number of people fully vaccinated: 2,572,522
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.67

43. Utah
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,201,445
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.48

44. West Virginia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 671,593
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 37.47

45. Georgia
Number of people fully vaccinated: 3,926,832
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 36.98

46. Idaho
Number of people fully vaccinated: 649,886
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 36.37

47. Louisiana
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,647,596
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 35.44

48. Wyoming
Number of people fully vaccinated: 204,636
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 35.36

49. Arkansas
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,043,217
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 34.57

50. Alabama
Number of people fully vaccinated: 1,617,584
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 32.99

51. Mississippi
Number of people fully vaccinated: 889,553
Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 29.89

Devil's advocate. I would say prudence may be the reason. I have choosen to be fully vaccinated because when the virus was available to me (8months ago), with the information I had at the time, the fact I had not yet contracted the virus, and the patient population I work with; I felt it was the safest and most responsible course of action.

Would I make the same choice if the vaccine was available to me 2-3 months ago, there was significant evidence that the vaccine was incredibly effective for high risk individuals, I'm 18-25 years old, my risk of dying from the virus was essentially non existent if contracted, I've already had the virus with no symptoms, I'm healthy weight, healthy heart?  Maybe? But Probably not. Especially since there is anecdotal evidence that young people have ended up with the side effect of myocarditis from a couple of the vaccines.

The variant argument above doesn't pass the smell test. Even if 70% of the US population gets fully vaccinated and we reach herd immunity in the US we will still have to dodge mutations coming in from overseas. The current variant that the media outlets are hyping I believe was prevalent in India first. The one before that was from the UK, the one before that South Africa, and the one before that China. 

Prudence. Get busy living or get busy dying 😁

4 hours ago, 4fun said:

young people have ended up with the side effect of myocarditis from a couple of the vaccines.

It's also a side effect of the actual disease at a much higher level.  Athletes in very good physical condition have gotten myocarditis from COVID-19.  You can do the searches yourself.  Please be careful when posting stuff like this.

Weighing the risks is not something we're generally good at as a population, and people were more scared of vaccine side effects than of the actual disease and they have died.

4 hours ago, 4fun said:

The current variant that the media outlets are hyping I believe was prevalent in India first. The one before that was from the UK, the one before that South Africa, and the one before that China. 

Reporting on a whole state with ~30% vaccination rate having 96% Delta variant and increasing deaths and full ICUs in some cities is not what I'd call hyping.  Also, while the existing variants reduce the vaccine effectiveness against vaccine prevention, they do a great job at preventing severe disease, death, and hospitalization.  Posting stuff like you just did reads to me a bit defeatist and might persuade people to not get the vaccine based on bad info.  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html

We need to be doing the exact opposite unless we want to go back to shutdowns in the fall or get another variant that the vaccines do not help against.  But with people denying COVID-19 is real with their dying breath, I don't have a lot of hope.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 4

Met up with several younger people we know that were now carrying on maskless. I asked if they finally got vaccinated. They said no and gave the usual litany of excuses.One said and I quote "I'm not worried about catching covid".Famous last words.

At this point, I have more respect for the hardliners that just say no I'm not getting the vaccine. The excuses are something I'd expect from my teenage, not from someone with an MBA.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

People have the right to not get the vaccine. If they choose to go that route, they need to follow the rules for non-vaccinated people. That may mean that they can't enter certain facilities etc, but that is their choice.

• Like 1

Just now, TheX said:

People have the right to not get the vaccine. If they choose to go that route, they need to follow the rules for non-vaccinated people. That may mean that they can't enter certain facilities etc, but that is their choice.

They should be made to wear some sort of insignia, identifying them as .... wait, hang on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have re-opened our offices, with rules in place for non-vaccinated people. The problem is that I'm not allowed to ask. I know there are people acting like they got their jabs, when I know they didn't. I don't think they present a danger to anyone else in the office, except each other, but they should be honest about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheX said:

We have re-opened our offices, with rules in place for non-vaccinated people. The problem is that I'm not allowed to ask. I know there are people acting like they got their jabs, when I know they didn't. I don't think they present a danger to anyone else in the office, except each other, but they should be honest about it.

That's one reason why I'm not going back in, especially with the Delta variant on the rise. I did hear that there is a plan afoot to require employees to supply proof of vaccination, but I wonder if that is even legal.

14 minutes ago, TAF said:

I wonder if that is even legal.

We've been told that it is not legal for us at this time. One of my direct reports sent this in an email (yes, company email). It was in response to an email that someone else sent saying that they were going to be offline for the afternoon traveling for their second jab. I forwarded it to the CIO (my boss) and the VP of HR. Not sure what they are going to do with it. 

image.png.70e2f619b400dcffe0f2d03079f3a828.png

I went to DuMont's Down Low (I think that's what it's called, FKA Fado's Irish Pub) to watch the England Euro Cup game this weekend. the place was packed the the gills. people just crammed in there and not a single mask in sight. based on our vax rate (just now at 70%) and the relative youth of the crowd, I can guarantee that delta was ripping through the place. NOPE! we stood by the door for a few minutes to watch the last few minutes of the first half, then took a chance on walking over to Foxy's Proper Pub a few blocks away. Foxy's is fantastic, not just because it was not a chaotic shitshow, but because it's a classy place. had a pint of Guinness and my wife said the fish & chips was excellent (unlike the soggy mess they serve at the Tavern). will visit again!

Edited by mack_turtle