IGNORED

Why is this still true?

TheX

8 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

giving Abbot the finger 

If Abbott was fingered in the woods, would he feel it?

7 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Yep. Dallas, Houston, and Austin. I assume the domino effect of those three mega districts will bring a wave of smaller districts following.

Have a front row view to these discussions. Pretty interesting.

• Haha 2

It will be interesting to see what happens when the FDA fully approves the vaccines and folks don't have the excuse of "I don't want to be a guinea pig".  It will be also interesting to see if insurance companies will require vaccination to cover COVID19 related care (seems fair doesn't it?) and if places of employment and schools will also require them.  We just heard of the passing of someone related to a work colleague yesterday, refused vaccination, doesn't have insurance, in the ICU and intubated until they died.

I'm lucky that my work (a perennial in the best places to work list--for good reason) is giving people the option, and that for us that have to be physically present, we've now gone back to masks on for everyone and buildings are less than 5% occupancy.  Through most of July (didn't even last a month!) those of us that are vaccinated could go mask free and those that are not had to--and they still do--mask and do daily testing.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

100%. if you didn't get a vaccine by choice, you made your bed and you get to lie in it. it will likely be your death bed

This is the type of fear mongering that is unbelievable to me. The survival rate of this disease is astronomically high, regardless of your vaccination status, but people want to say that if you catch it is it likely your death bed. Strange, extremely polarizing times we live in. 

5 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

This is the type of fear mongering that is unbelievable to me. The survival rate of this disease is astronomically high, regardless of your vaccination status, but people want to say that if you catch it is it likely your death bed. Strange, extremely polarizing times we live in. 

please help me find the portal to the alternative universe in which you live, because I'd really like to be there instead of here.

2 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I agree, too much emphasis on this thing will kill YOU. But I see two big problems with dialing down the rhetoric.

1. It may not kill you, but if you get Covid, there is a VERY high likelyhood that unless you are cautious enough, you will continue to the spread of covid and it WILL KILL SOMEBODY on your contamination branch.

2. Too many people are grasping on to the low mortality as justification for not giving Covid enough respect. I'll be fine. But see point 1 above. 

• Like 2

if dying is not risky enough for you, long covid might be worse, not to mention spreading it to your community, workplace, and people you love who might die or suffer long-term affects.

"fear mongering" is such a lazy term. it's not fear mongering if the danger of individual death, long term health affects, and the social affects of economic collapse are real things. floating along in blissful ignorance that this is going to blow over if we just let it run its course is the height of irresponsible, solipsistic arrogance and I just have zero tolerance for that.

if I sound "decisive" and "confrontational, it's because I was done a long time ago using kid gloves with sea lions employing bad-faith arguments over things that have real consequences. if you want to continue to mess around with this when it was clear over a year ago that Covid is not messing around, I have zero patience for you. you can step right off a cliff and let the adults in the room handle this situation before more people die and we stretch this problem into the year 2030.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

Day 2 in the open office. Probably 250 people in a 65k sf space. Maybe 50% masked when walking around. Maybe 10% at most masked at their desk. 2 people in the group next to me are about 8' away with no physical barrier. Neither wears a mask. I have managed to wear a mask all but about 20 minutes. I need computer glasses so they tend to fog a bit. I have been snacking outside at the truck. It appears our CEO is the only one forcing this, all the rest of the chain has some sense. It doesn't even make sense from a business risk perspective, much less talent acquisition and retention standpoint. Quite a few people have bailed already. Instead of 'collaborating' like they want us to, I have been avoiding all but my very favorite people. My productivity and morale are very low. Ugh.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

We were on vacation in Maine and my wife and I settled in for the night. She proceeded to read the news from Austin (big mistake) and let out an audible gasp. I asked what was wrong and she replied that the ICUs in Austin were "overflowing" with covid patients and there were less than 10 beds available. I asked of those beds occupied, how many were covid cases. She got a little irritated and after a few minutes of Google searches she said 18%. EIGHTEEN. Up from 15%. 

Now I'm not dismissing any of the seriousness of this situation but I have to question why there are so few beds. Wife was not pleased with my rejection of the seriousness of this particular news article. My suspicion is that the medical industry is suffering the same labor shortage that everyone else is. Fast forward to the next couple days and another kxan article comes out and briefly mentions the staffing shortages. 

This is the where and why I've become absolutely sick of the "great reset" that we're experiencing. If any of our leaders and economic systems actually were worth a shit and were here to help us rather than extract capital from our suffering we wouldn't have this problem. Real leadership would have stepped up with all necessary resources to staff and support all our medical needs during a pandemic. Instead there's nothing but finger pointing and insults between the vax and anti-vax folks and a complete reliance on big pharma. This completely takes our eyes off of where this fucking virus came from, who fucked up and let it get this bad and how much profit and concentration of power is being made as a result of it. 

So were the other 82% of patients in the ICU at the time there due to preventable disease? Should we look down our noses on them with the same disdain as we do for people who don't take the experimental vaccines? If so, when do we place a ban on fast food.

I'm sick of all of this and ready to gtfo. 

• Like 1

What do you consider an experimental vaccine?  These have gone through 3 full phase trials.  They are EUA which is a far cry from "experimental" and within weeks of full authorization.  I personally tried to sign-up for the phase 3 trial FWIW.

Yes, the medical community is burned out with the whole thing so that's the main reason for bed shortages.  You can do your own research as to why they're burned out.  Seems like you're the do your own research type.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Now I'm not dismissing any of the seriousness of this situation but I have to question why there are so few beds. Wife was not pleased with my rejection of the seriousness of this particular news article. My suspicion is that the medical industry is suffering the same labor wage shortage that everyone else is. Fast forward to the next couple days and another kxan article comes out and briefly mentions the staffing shortages.

FIFY. I have not read up on this much, but I get the impression that the medical field is hemorrhaging qualified professionals who are burned out. they'd certainly have more if they got paid more and medical school debt was not so outrageous, but everyone has a breaking point where you can't pay them enough to do a job for long. sounds like these nurses and other caretakers were all at their witt's end months ago and the ones that are hanging on are losing their minds watching the volume of humans who come to them with the identical—mostly preventable—disease.

• Like 1

Have friends who are nurses and they were already burning out before the pandemic. Getting a free pizza here and there and being called a hero on social media doesn't pay the bills or certainly make up for the missing hazard pay. Again, our dogshit medical system that prioritizes profit over care is the biggest issue right now. There is almost no mention of how understaffed these hospitals are and how that's also driving the shortages.  If we had real leadership and our government gave a fuck, there'd be a full effort to correct these shortages.

Also, before someone gets the impression I'm Q.  I took both doses of the Pfizer. Am I thrilled about it? No. Have I had any side effects? Not yet. This is vaccine is uncharted waters for everyone and we can argue semantics all day. Ultimately we have been failed by our leaders on both sides. The fact that these companies can't be held accountable for any side effects is concerning, particularly considering their track records.

In the end, all covid did was shine a light on all the cracks in the institutions we thought were rock solid. We were all thrown overboard and told to swim when we needed help the most. 

I'm done with being told to hate my neighbor because of what they choose to put into their body, strap to their face, or who they vote for. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-health-chicago-coronavirus-pandemic-99fd8448a981a47d934eac70aa1e19b0

about 385,000 people attended an outdoor event. entry required proof of vaccination or a negative covid test. 90% of the people who attended were already vaccinated. there are 203 cases of covid connected to the event, which is about 0.5% of the attendees. no deaths, no hospitalizations (yet). granted, this crowd probably skewed young.

see how that works, America?

• Like 2

1.  I never thought you were Q or anything like that, but you're on the conspiracy spectrum just like any of us.  I'm actually closer to you on the spectrum believe or not since I believe we live in an oligarchy/corporatocracy/cleptocracy, but I am not as sanguine/jaded as you.  I can appreciate how you get there though.

2. I forgot to address the % of beds for COVID, which is 10% nationally, 28% in Florida.  ICUs are expensive.  Everything about it:  the people, the equipment, the space.  They're not going to build a bunch of spare ICU units and staff a bunch of ICU doctors and nurses for emergency cases, which is why the whole "flatten the curve" thing.  They want to keep their rooms maximally used with a bit of margin on top....just like an airline or hotel.   You could argue that's another thing pointing at a for-profit-healthcare weakness, but I can assure you that not-for-profit healthcare is even more frugal.  There are pros and cons to both.

3.  The hate the neighbor thing, I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not.  I'm certainly annoyed by the whole thing, people not doing what they can to prevent getting sick or spreading it, spreading misinformation, then getting sick from it and dying from it while using meager resources.  I find that super annoying.  I hate the people spreading misinformation, I'm annoyed at the people believing it and dying.

4.  Leadership in government...HA!   for anyone that is a Star Trek Universe fan, my favorite Star Trek is Deep Space Nine.  I think a lot of our leaders = Gowron.

5.  I like to do lists for some reason...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

That article doesn't mention % of the 203 vaccinated vs not.  If numbers from other cases hold, I'd expect 40 of those were breakthrough, and the rest were unvaccinated. It would be interesting and useful data. 

36 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

That article doesn't mention % of the 203 vaccinated vs not.  If numbers from other cases hold, I'd expect 40 of those were breakthrough, and the rest were unvaccinated. It would be interesting and useful data. 

Says 90% vaccinated, as it was a requirement for entry.

also 0.05% not .5%. I like them odds.

Edited by Mattlikesbikes
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Says 90% vaccinated, as it was a requirement for entry.

Exactly, 90% of the total entry.  I wanted to know the % of the 203 that were vaccinated.  Based on other studies of Delta, I'd think 40 were breakthrough, and 163 were unvaccinated.

And yes the odds are good, and our family has had our own first-hand positive (pun?) experience albeit with a much smaller group of people.

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

1.  I never thought you were Q or anything like that, but you're on the conspiracy spectrum just like any of us.  I'm actually closer to you on the spectrum believe or not since I believe we live in an oligarchy/corporatocracy/cleptocracy, but I am not as sanguine/jaded as you.  I can appreciate how you get there though.

2. I forgot to address the % of beds for COVID, which is 10% nationally, 28% in Florida.  ICUs are expensive.  Everything about it:  the people, the equipment, the space.  They're not going to build a bunch of spare ICU units and staff a bunch of ICU doctors and nurses for emergency cases, which is why the whole "flatten the curve" thing.  They want to keep their rooms maximally used with a bit of margin on top....just like an airline or hotel.   You could argue that's another thing pointing at a for-profit-healthcare weakness, but I can assure you that not-for-profit healthcare is even more frugal.  There are pros and cons to both.

3.  The hate the neighbor thing, I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not.  I'm certainly annoyed by the whole thing, people not doing what they can to prevent getting sick or spreading it, spreading misinformation, then getting sick from it and dying from it while using meager resources.  I find that super annoying.  I hate the people spreading misinformation, I'm annoyed at the people believing it and dying.

4.  Leadership in government...HA!   for anyone that is a Star Trek Universe fan, my favorite Star Trek is Deep Space Nine.  I think a lot of our leaders = Gowron.

5.  I like to do lists for some reason...

Not directed towards anyone on this forum as I don't take issue with any of your opinions. This is always a touchy subject for sure.  I hope we can all agree that the response to the pandemic has been embarrassing by any standards. 

My rant is really out of pure frustration from both "sides" of the covid argument and all the grift associated with it. I'm concerned with one sides willingness to give up their privacy and continue to expand our already Orwellian society. On the other side are the conspiracy nuts who think this vaccine is the mark of the beast and there is some viral battle for their eternal soul. All the while the media is revving up fear up to maximum levels to get their clicks. My friends and family are not impervious to this either. I used to rely of several scientists for the no BS bottom line on covid but found they were just as bad as everyone else. Making predictions of apocalyptic doom that never seemed to materialize. 

This just keeps us distracted from holding the people accountable for the origins and spread of this virus. The lack of ICU beds in the USA is absolutely disgusting. Massive military budgets were just approved with more and more spending for hurting and never for helping. 

At this point, most of us are approaching the final decades of our lives. Constantly being driven to anger and fear seems like a shitty way to spend what's left of our time. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

TNG or GTFO.

And the trekkers are probably saying Star Trek or GTFO too. 🙂

I like DS9 b/c it has more of a continuous story, and has less filler stuff than TNG.   I like specific TNG episodes better, but as a whole I prefer DS9.  I'm on my 3rd time watching all of them, now on Voyager (a big step down IMO).  Star Trek is my "just interesting enough to hold my interest, but not enough that's going to keep me from getting sleepy" TV.

• Like 1