IGNORED

Why is this still true?

TheX

as a state employee, our plan is to have the office open to 100% capacity on September 1. that doesn't mean that we have to go to the office, just that, if everyone needed to be at the office at the same time, we could. however, we've proven that people can WFH most of the time, so I expect to work 2, maybe 3 days a week at the office. I can get most of my job done from home, but I was totally over online meetings and virtual seminars from day one. getting together for collaborative meetings in person sounds fantastic right now.

don't get me started on how much it sucks to occupy a "virtual booth" in a "virtual exhibit hall." my job used to involve traveling and setting up exhibit hall booths about 12 times a year, sometimes in other cities with hotel and food paid for. it was like a tiny, not-that-fun vacation once in a while. I'm looking forward to doing that again.

my office is close to Walnut and I used to only ride there after work. otherwise, SATN is too close to drive up there often. so maybe i'll see some of you out there in the fall.

Our CFO wants us using offices 60% of the time. 40% work from home. She wants us to leverage the expensive offices we have at over 200 locations here and in Europe. I'll be more like 20-40%. If I have meetings with sr. staff via Telepresence I'll do it from one of the conference rooms.

54 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

>my wife said the fish & chips was excellent (unlike the soggy mess they serve at the Tavern). will visit again!

I'm a stickler for proper fish n chips, which I've not been able to find in Austin - at least, not both fish battered properly AND chips not fries, both on the same plate. Do I need to go check out this place?

8 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'm a stickler for proper fish n chips, which I've not been able to find in Austin - at least, not both fish battered properly AND chips not fries, both on the same plate. Do I need to go check out this place?

I can make you no promises, but I am told the fish was crispier than the soggy stuff we usually get in the States, in a good way. the "chips" were American fries and not "chips." The portion of fish could be bigger. needs to be served with mushy peas. spicy ketchup was good.

• Like 1

I usually find there is an inverse correlation between the authenticity of fish and chips and the 'Englishness' which whatever the pub is claims. This was certainly the case with the ill-fated Bennigan's and the Lion & Rose. I haven't yet visited 'Nosh & Bevvy' on Burnet, but I'm not holding my breath.

clarification: when I hear "fish and chips," I expect the "chips" to be what Americans might call "steak fries." fat, thick cuts from a fresh potato, fried. these were seasoned American "fries" and they were skinny and limp. (penis joke goes here.)

do a quick image search for "fish and chips" and you'll see the difference.

2273.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Thanks 1

I've had fish and chips in England (seemed like a must do, + having a meat pie at a pub) but I couldn't remember what they looked like and was confused about the terminology.

Whoa!  I'll have to read this tonight.   I think it has the answers to all my questions:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries

Edited by AntonioGG

OK, so chips start at a minimum as a standard French Fry (10mm) according to Wikipedia and in my experience I don't remember the chips I had being substantially different from a standard French Fry.  This means the next time I go, I'll have to find a place that has the larger sized ones:

"The standard deep-fried cut potatoes in the United Kingdom are called chips, and are cut into pieces between 10 and 15 mm (0.39 and 0.59 in) wide."

BTW, I was taking French classes and the teacher said the two main things she cannot get good in the US was the bread, and the fries.  She couldn't exactly explain what was wrong with American fries, but I think it's a different type of potato.

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

BTW, I was taking French classes and the teacher said the two main things she cannot get good in the US was the bread, and the fries.  She couldn't exactly explain what was wrong with American fries, but I think it's a different type of potato.

The french and the belgians like to double fry their fries. So they end up a little crispier. Really helps when they are bigger/thicker as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

"The standard deep-fried cut potatoes in the United Kingdom are called chips, and are cut into pieces between 10 and 15 mm (0.39 and 0.59 in) wide."

Next time I visit Foxy's, I'll bring my caliper and test the size. if they are smaller than 10mm, I'll demand a refund.

seriously, it's a classy place though.

• Haha 1

Chips are considerably larger than fries, and are double-fried in a different oil than is used in the US. It's rare that you find chips done properly in the US. However, one place that does decent Belgian fries is the food trailer at the Draught House.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAF said:

Chips are considerably larger than fries, and are double-fried in a different oil than is used in the US. It's rare that you find chips done properly in the US. However, one place that does decent Belgian fries is the food trailer at the Draught House.

Thank you! Watching all the cyclocross in Belgium and seeing people fries and a fry sauce company sponsoring several cycling teams has me very very curious.  It's been a while since I hit the Draught House, now I have an extra reason!

41 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Thank you! Watching all the cyclocross in Belgium and seeing people fries and a fry sauce company sponsoring several cycling teams has me very very curious.  It's been a while since I hit the Draught House, now I have an extra reason!

Let me know ahead of time - I'll ride over and join you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Watching all the cyclocross in Belgium ...

I grew up in Belgium, and we used to ride our 5-speed bikes to school, crossing plowed fields in the rain and what not. Years later, I realized that this was the origin of cyclocross!

• Like 1

I think you mis interpreted my post. I'm saying prudence. Look at your situation, the info available, risk/rewards, talk with an expert that knows you and you trust and make a decision your comfortable with.  On the other hand very few people, understand scientific method, and yell science and think that's the end of the discussion. That previous post and this should not be interpreted as medical advice and are just a possible explanation on why some people may choose not to get in line. I would encourage everyone to talk to there medical provider when weighing this decision.

And yes some people have choosen not to get the vaccine and as a result have died. On the other hand some people have choosen to get the vaccine and as a result have died. https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/13-year-old-dies-in-sleep-after-getting-covid-19-vaccine-cdc-investigating/amp/

12 minutes ago, 4fun said:

And yes some people have choosen not to get the vaccine and as a result have died. On the other hand some people have choosen to get the vaccine and as a result have died. https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/13-year-old-dies-in-sleep-after-getting-covid-19-vaccine-cdc-investigating/amp/

risks and rewards: I wonder what is the ratio of people who have gotten the vaccine and died to the number of people who chose not to get it and died. the answer to a general idea of the answer is obvious and I don't think we need specifics.

it's not complicated: getting the vaccine is worth the risk unless you have some obscure medical condition just like not blowing through stop signs in traffic is a good idea even if you think you're not going to get into an accident. eventually, the odds catch up with most of us.

if you don't want to get it, keep your kids out of schools where all the rational people are, and keep a job where you can work from home because no one wants to be exposed to your variants.

also, 9 out of 10 German Shepards are dogs.

Edited by mack_turtle

4 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

risks and rewards: I wonder what is the ratio of people who have gotten the vaccine and died to the number of people who chose not to get it and died. the answer to a general idea if obvious and I don't think we need specifics.

also, 9 out of 10 German Shepards are dogs.

Agreed! again I think the prudence is key. For most people the shot is probably the right choice, but not all.

5 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Agreed! again I think the prudence is key. For 99.99% of people the shot is probably the right choice, but not all.

FIFY. the people who are at risk probably know who they are, and the rest of us know that nothing in life is without risk. so it's not really a debate. unless you are among the tiny little sliver of people who are at risk, if you don't get it, you're an idiot and you have no business participating in the rest of civilization. that includes more than a quarter of Travis County residents at present, and I'll tell them what I think to their smug faces, except I know that would backfire.

I heard someone with some social influence tell an interviewer this week that the vaccine is the "mark of the beast." if you don't know what that means, you're in for a fun rabbit hole! you can't reason with people whose worldview is inherently unreasonable.

Edited by mack_turtle

Here's a dive into the psychology of the thing: https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/why-americans-wont-get-vaccinated-trump-states-20210708.html

interesting to see the overlap on the Venn diagram that is paranoia and conspiracy theory nonsense coming from social conservatives on one side, and hippie/ yoga/ alternative medicine groups on the other. it all stems from the same basic values of "purity" and perceptions of "freedom."

@4fun I got your post in the spirit that you intended it, but at this point I think some other people will read that and not get it and now they have another source for “I read it in the internet”.  Skeptics and people that can’t get the vaccine don’t need any more made up or disproportionate risks as an excuse not to get it.  I had this thread on ignore because at this point none of this makes a difference.  I’ll go back to ignoring it.