IGNORED

Why is this still true?

TheX

Family was into the original series so we watched those reruns over dinner etc. We were always entertained by the bad costumes and shatners overacting. They seemed to move onto all the subsequent series after I left home. 

The only TNG I got into were the movies. Some were pretty good.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

TNG dealt with some awesome questions on a lot of episodes which is what I really enjoyed.  I also love the original series for what it stands for and that includes the ridiculous aliens (there's a documentary about Nimoy that talks about the ears and the costume makers which is pretty interesting).  It's a snapshot of the times but at the time also revolutionary.  DS9 has it's sci fi elements but it's largely the--not geo...but spaceo?--political element of it.  It also has 2 of my most hated characters of anything I've ever watched...and the worst one is not a Cardassian IMO!  I do like Avery Brooks too, ever since Spenser for Hire.  He brings that theatrical style to Sisco that William Shatner brought to Kirk.

I don't go to a lot of concerts anyways, but I went to the first one since at least January 2020 last night. David Bazan (Pedro the Lion) playing solo at Revival Cycles (custom motorbike shop on the east side). tickets were extremely limited and there were fewer than 50 people in the room, which is pretty small. proof of a Covid vaccine was required to enter and masks were mandatory for the whole evening. I read some nasty comments from his "fans" that were mad about the mask and vax requirements, but he's doing fine without those clowns at his shows. it was not difficult and everyone had a good time.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:10 AM, AntonioGG said:

TNG dealt with some awesome questions on a lot of episodes which is what I really enjoyed.  I also love the original series for what it stands for and that includes the ridiculous aliens (there's a documentary about Nimoy that talks about the ears and the costume makers which is pretty interesting).  It's a snapshot of the times but at the time also revolutionary.  DS9 has it's sci fi elements but it's largely the--not geo...but spaceo?--political element of it.  It also has 2 of my most hated characters of anything I've ever watched...and the worst one is not a Cardassian IMO!  I do like Avery Brooks too, ever since Spenser for Hire.  He brings that theatrical style to Sisco that William Shatner brought to Kirk.

I'm not sure which one it is, but my favorite is the one with the ewoks.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't go to a lot of concerts anyways, but I went to the first one since at least January 2020 last night. David Bazan (Pedro the Lion) playing solo at Revival Cycles (customer motorbike shop on the east side). tickets were extremely limited and there were fewer than 50 people in the room, which is pretty small. proof of a Covid vaccine was required to enter and masks were mandatory for the whole evening. I read some nasty comments from his "fans" that were mad about the mask and vax requirements, but he's doing fine without those clowns at his shows.it was not difficult and everyone had a good time.

We just bought tickets for the Rolling Stones, our first concert in many years, and I am expecting it will get canceled (again). The Lollapalooza approach seems reasonable, but I am sure they can't make it work in Texas. Though maybe ACL can do it first and other stuff locally can follow. 

Hoping we are following the UK pattern.  B/c of the high R0 of Delta, it is going to burn through the population very quickly.  New cases are already flattening out.  2 more weeks will show whether the hospitals being to clear out.   I'm hoping pediatric EUA is coming soon, and adult/teen full authorization after that prompts more people to get the vaccine.

My biggest fear is for the next variant.

• Like 1

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/parents-challenge-austin-isds-mask-mandate-on-the-first-day-of-school/269-ee6e095e-51f5-4f31-a19b-8fdfb8bb4f98?fbclid=IwAR3t-vy_evjNlxoDnLwz08gbfwucYkThk0BxiaLM1gqG_hrYoWiqu7MxP4g

So the dad keeps saying that it is his decision to do what is right and best for his daughter. In what world is being LESS protective the right thing? Also, suspect that they had camera rolling and a print out of the Abbott order on hand as they rolled into the school. Like they were looking for a fight.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/parents-challenge-austin-isds-mask-mandate-on-the-first-day-of-school/269-ee6e095e-51f5-4f31-a19b-8fdfb8bb4f98?fbclid=IwAR3t-vy_evjNlxoDnLwz08gbfwucYkThk0BxiaLM1gqG_hrYoWiqu7MxP4g

So the dad keeps saying that it is his decision to do what is right and best for his daughter. In what world is being LESS protective the right thing? Also, suspect that they had camera rolling and a print out of the Abbott order on hand as they rolled into the school. Like they were looking for a fight.

Poor kid. Mask or not. Political statement or not. That 2nd grader doesn't give a shit, but I bet she would have an opinion about her mom and dad to causing a big scene while dropping her off on the first day of school.

• Like 1

a Covidiot here in Austin has assaulted a teacher. the school has been very diplomatic about this. I wonder what it's like to be charged with assault when your victim is a teacher and it's over masks in schools. that poor child! (and by "child," I mean the student whose parent did this, not the parent who is throwing a temper tantrum.)

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/eanes-isd-parent-assaults-teacher-ripping-mask-off-her-face/269-44ef29ae-c209-4e56-a0a6-791b8f3b9de7

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Sad 1

people who refuse the free, FDA-approved vaccine are willing to take an expensive, experimental treatment where they pump manufactured molecules into your body by IV needle.

“It’s a backwards strategy,” said Ramers. “It’s so much better to prevent a disease than to use an expensive, cumbersome and difficult-to-use therapy. It does not make any medical sense to lean into monoclonals to the detriment of vaccines. It’s like playing defense with no offense.”

https://khn.org/news/article/monoclonal-antibody-therapy-mabs-versus-vaccination-conservative-states-covid-hotspots-florida-texas/

32 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

people who refuse the free, FDA-approved vaccine are willing to take an expensive, experimental treatment where they pump manufactured molecules into your body by IV needle.

“It’s a backwards strategy,” said Ramers. “It’s so much better to prevent a disease than to use an expensive, cumbersome and difficult-to-use therapy. It does not make any medical sense to lean into monoclonals to the detriment of vaccines. It’s like playing defense with no offense.”

https://khn.org/news/article/monoclonal-antibody-therapy-mabs-versus-vaccination-conservative-states-covid-hotspots-florida-texas/

The cost of Regeneron infusions: about $1,250 a dose. For now, the federal government is covering the cost.

The federal government is also covering the costs of covid vaccination, at about $20 a dose.

Hospitals and infusion centers also charge for the time- and resource-intensive administration of monoclonal antibody treatment. Medicare has agreed to pay providers between $310 nd $450 for performing it in health care settings — and $750 for treatment in a patient’s home.

People are also taking horse dewormer massive doses instead of getting the vaccine.  I forget what state now has 70% of poison control center calls related to horse dewormer.  

Another article mentioned a Facebook group that had calm evidence based discussion, and talked about a supposedly evidence-based educated arborist trying to make up his mind, and he ultimately decided to get the vaccine based on weighing the posts for and against the vaccine (more evidence on one vs more conspiracy in the other)...on Facebook...I mean, not talking to his local pharmacists or doctor....Facebook.  We're fucked.

We have failed as a country as far as science education is concerned.  We're paying for that ignorance literally and figuratively.

• Sad 1

People are also taking horse dewormer massive doses instead of getting the vaccine.  I forget what state now has 70% of poison control center calls related to horse dewormer.   Another article mentioned a Facebook group that had calm evidence based discussion, and talked about a supposedly evidence-based educated arborist trying to make up his mind, and he ultimately decided to get the vaccine based on weighing the posts for and against the vaccine (more evidence on one vs more conspiracy in the other)...on Facebook...I mean, not talking to his local pharmacists or doctor....Facebook.  We're fucked.

We have failed as a country as far as science education is concerned.  We're paying for that ignorance literally and figuratively.

That would be Mississippi’s poison control. [emoji849]

I was in HS working for a vet in the early 80’s when Eqvalan (original brand name of ivermectin) came out as an injectable horse wormer. It got yanked within months because if you hit a blood vessel it was potentially lethal to horses. It came back a few months later as an oral paste for horses, but was ok as an injectable for cows. That’s what bubba, who couldn’t do his kids 5th grade math & science homework 6 months ago, won’t get. It works differently in different dosage in different size, weight and species. Hell it even kills heartworms in dogs. Great broadband anti parasite drug if given in the correct doze and correct method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

suddenly, all your uncles with Facebook feeds full of Joe Rogan quotes and questionably-racist memes are lining up to get their jab. What's the point of being free, if you can't get a boner?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33742540/

"Mask up to keep it up": Preliminary evidence of the association between erectile dysfunction and COVID-19

Background: Erectile dysfunction (ED), as the hallmark of endothelial dysfunction, could be a short- or long-term complication of COVID-19. Additionally, being ED a clinical marker and predictor of non-communicable chronic diseases, particularly cardiovascular, subjects with ED could potentially have a higher risk of contracting COVID-19.

Edited by mack_turtle

I've stayed out of this mostly because I enjoy talking bikes with you guys (gals included) too much to spoil it with this controversial topic but I need to get it off my chest. 

TV Show: TNG

I grew up watching it as our regular Family Friday night Pizza and a show meal so it's got some sentimental value That being said there are some definite episodes to skip. Voyager and others weren't too bad but DS9 was way too Spatial-political (great word, thanks @AntonioGG) for my taste. 

Movies: Even #'rd ones are best

1. Star Trek the Motion picture TRASH
  2. Wrath of Kahn GOLD
  3. Search for Spock MEH
  4. Voyage Home GREAT
  5. The Final Frontier TRASH
  6. Undiscovered Country UNDERRATED GOLD
  7. Generations MEH
  8. First Contact GOOD
  9. Insurrection TRASH
  10. Nemesis ALSO TRASH (Exception #1)
  11. Reboot (GOOD) (Exception #2)