IGNORED

H-Town cyclist was packing

There was quite the discussion on the Houston Gravel Grinders FB page a few months ago, when some Cali-transplant posted up that he expected no one in his group rides to be carrying, and consequently discovered that half the people in his group rides were carrying, and he was welcome to piss off back to Cali.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TAF said:

There was quite the discussion on the Houston Gravel Grinders FB page a few months ago, when some Cali-transplant posted up that he expected no one in his group rides to be carrying, and consequently discovered that half the people in his group rides were carrying, and he was welcome to piss off back to Cali.

Nice!

2 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this story. I guess it can happy to anyone, but just glad i don't suffer from rage or have to worry about carrying on my rides.

With you on this one. 

At what point are we knowingly placing ourselves in danger by road riding? The roads are overcrowded, people are distracted, pilled up, pissed off and generally just fucking assholes. I would be so heightened that id absolutely pull a weapon.

I'll pass

several people I know who carry a gun all the time have many stories about times they "almost had to use it to defend themselves." yet I don't carry and I never have these problems. must be an individual problem. because I am unarmed, I don't go looking for opportunities to use deadly force. I just avoid that stuff. it's not true all the time and different people are entitled to do what they think is best. but there's something about having a gun on you at all times that turns every situation into a potential shootout, in the same way that "to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I can't stress this enough, so don't you all get triggered and butthurt, but some of the people I know personally who are most likely to carry a gun are the people who are least likely to use it in the "right" situation, and more likely to make a bad situation worse with trigger-happiness. YMMV, use your head, and if you're not this person, this does not apply to you, and all that.

• Like 4

Vigilante justice at its finest. Driver intentionally hits Cyclist A with car. Cyclist B decides this warrants deadly force. My initial reaction was "good, fuck that guy". Not that the driver's actions are at all defensible, but does that give a bystander the greenlight to shoot the guy? Did the shooter get arrested/charged with anything? Would he have if the driver died? If so, how would that play out in court? Seeing that this is Texas, and the driver's name is "Jose Angel Hernandez", the shooter probably would become an NRA folk hero and gotten off any charges. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, notyal said:

Vigilante justice at its finest. Driver intentionally hits Cyclist A with car. Cyclist B decides this warrants deadly force. My initial reaction was "good, fuck that guy". Not that the driver's actions are at all defensible, but does that give a bystander the greenlight to shoot the guy? Did the shooter get arrested/charged with anything? Would he have if the driver died? If so, how would that play out in court? Seeing that this is Texas, and the driver's name is "Jose Angel Hernandez", the shooter probably would become an NRA folk hero and gotten off any charges. 

Being that the driver  "allegedly" intentionally hit this women with his car and it was a group situation and the story says the guy thought his life was in danger. I'm guessing he wasn't just a bystander and his action probably kept anyone else being assaulted with a deadly "motor vehicle" used as a weapon.  If this was the situation I'm pretty sure it would be hard for a DA to make a case against the guy since this is a stand your ground state. That being said It does not mean a DA's office in a major city won't try, and the guy may go bankrupt defending himself in court. I personally have never been in a situation that would warrant defending myself in any physical matter, but if I thought a person was attempting to kill me I would do what ever was necessary to make it home to my wife and children.

Edited by 4fun

29 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

If you had a decent CHL class, they made it VERY clear that this is where you need to start the conversation with the police when they show up. 

that should be interesting come September 1 in Texas. I'm hoping for the best, but I suspect there will be an uptick in nitwits with guns doing stupid things.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

nitwits could always carry guns so this will change nothing since criminals and nitwits don't obey nanny laws anyway. There were loads of "there will be blood in the streets!" cries back when concealed carry was being debated in the 90s....nothing happened. Then again when campus carry and open carry were being debated in 2016...nothing happened. Then yet again this year, the same sky is falling cries....but the >dozen other states that have had permitless carry don't have a problem.

I've carried every day for the last decade, never came close to drawing. The two dogs that chased me had short legs haha.

• Like 2