IGNORED

Rocky Hill Sale

TAF

From Paul Uhl:

With a very heavy heart, I have to let rider's know that the back 1000 acre's at Rockyhill Ranch did sell. They will be putting up signs to keep rider's/runner's out pretty soon.
On a good note! The new owner is going to let me have one last "Fat Chucks Final Revenge", using all the back trails in late December this year.
We will be creating some more trails on the front 300 acre's. I'm planning on having some marked before I leave for the Summer. So if you are interested in helping cut some new trails at the ranch. Let me know!
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

my few experiences with RHR have been that the back area always has a ton of downed trees and is difficult to maintain because it's remote. maybe this will be better, as more trail will be cut in a smaller area closer to the front. glad to hear it's sticking around though, because the terrain is a nice change of pace for everything else that's west of I-35.

on that note, here's a cool map of Texas ecoregions. it explains a lot about why the terrain varies so much. 

18 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

my few experiences with RHR have been that the back area always has a ton of downed trees and is difficult to maintain because it's remote. maybe this will be better, as more trail will be cut in a smaller area closer to the front. glad to hear it's sticking around though, because the terrain is a nice change of pace for everything else that's west of I-35.

on that note, here's a cool map of Texas ecoregions. it explains a lot about why the terrain varies so much. 

I really don't think it will be better - 1,000 acres will be sold, and only 300 will remain. Most of the fun flowly stuff in the woods will be gone.

rhr.jpg

• Sad 2

I was lukewarm on the place for the last few years. Used to go out a lot more. I did not mind paying at all when the trails were being maintained, but when the prices went up and the maintenance stopped it lost its charm. They did a workday once and my recollection is sketchy but if I recall, they did not really do much for the workers, maybe they provided lunch. Seems to me that a free pass to ride some time would have been better because it costs them nothing and anyone that comes out would probably bring paying customers as well.

The good old days when the cafe was running were the glory years, now, not so much.

1 hour ago, olddbrider said:

Does this affect the FR512 stuff?

No. And to respond to AB, it‘s pretty much one guy maintaining the trails, and $10 isn’t a lot to pay, especially when $0 of that goes to the guy doing all the work. End of an era.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favorite Rocky Hill Ranch memory is from roughly 22 years ago.  We had friends living in Houston and had arranged to meet them there to ride.  Our daughter was about two and we had arranged a babysitter.  On the morning of, we got a call from the babysitter saying she was sick and couldn’t do it.  So we loaded up the Trek Trailer and went anyway.  It was a very different ride on those trails towing a trailer with a toddler in it, but we had a great time.  I got the trailer wedged between trees a couple of times.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hurronnicane said:

My favorite Rocky Hill Ranch memory is from roughly 22 years ago.  We had friends living in Houston and had arranged to meet them there to ride.  Our daughter was about two and we had arranged a babysitter.  On the morning of, we got a call from the babysitter saying she was sick and couldn’t do it.  So we loaded up the Trek Trailer and went anyway.  It was a very different ride on those trails towing a trailer with a toddler in it, but we had a great time.  I got the trailer wedged between trees a couple of times.  

1-danny-macaskill-mountain-bike-daycare-

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like they have a Halloween Duathlon coming up. Advertising 5 miles of MTB trails.

Pretty sure I will be riding Fat Chuck's as a going away party. Have only been to Rocky Hill maybe 5 times over the years, but always enjoyed it. It was the most enjoyable back when you could get a burger and beer after a full lap.

Yeah, got out there to ride it recently and did pretty much everything as a sort of going away ride assuming I can't make the race.  Back area after Omar's was getting pretty overgrown (Jeep road especially, Coyote Run, etc) so will take a good bit to get it race ready.   Definitely sad to see all of what I considered the good stuff going away, but things change.  

• Like 1