IGNORED

2018 DragonSlayer

DesertNomad

Not sure I'm good enough to give advice, but here is my routine for the week.

Light 2 hour rides on Thursday and Friday.  These will be on paved trail and just to keep my legs moving.   Not ideal, but I'll take what the weather gives me.  Upper body gym workout today or tomorrow which I usually do once a week. 

Will make a big pot of spaghetti for the family tomorrow and will eat that daily until Saturday.   Saturday will do chores and family activities to make up for being away all day Sunday. 

I've put in 70-100 of road and/or urban miles per week for the last few months, but have only ridden my full suspension once since I busted the linkage on the dragon pre-ride in August.   

Really have no Idea how i will fare on three laps since I'm in 'bike' shape, but not necessarily 'mountain bike' shape.  But I'll get in 2 and see if I feel like doing a third. 

Last year there was a water stop at cedar breaks and there was some sort of electrolyte additive in the water.  Anyone remember what it was?  I want to buy some and put it in my water bottles.   Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

Not sure I'm good enough to give advice, but here is my routine for the week.

Light 2 hour rides on Thursday and Friday.  These will be on paved trail and just to keep my legs moving.   Not ideal, but I'll take what the weather gives me.  Upper body gym workout today or tomorrow which I usually do once a week. 

Will make a big pot of spaghetti for the family tomorrow and will eat that daily until Saturday.   Saturday will do chores and family activities to make up for being away all day Sunday. 

I've put in 70-100 of road and/or urban miles per week for the last few months, but have only ridden my full suspension once since I busted the linkage on the dragon pre-ride in August.   

Really have no Idea how i will fare on three laps since I'm in 'bike' shape, but not necessarily 'mountain bike' shape.  But I'll get in 2 and see if I feel like doing a third. 

Last year there was a water stop at cedar breaks and there was some sort of electrolyte additive in the water.  Anyone remember what it was?  I want to buy some and put it in my water bottles.   Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  

The drink mix was Hammer Nutrition Heed. There will be more of it again this year. You will be able to fill up at base camp.  They sent me a ton of stuff for the event.

As for riding between now and then:

1. Do a 2 hour ride on Wednesday of 18-24 miles on trail, or less than double that on road, staying zone 1-2 pushing at times into zone 3 to get over rollers. Stay well clear of threshold efforts.

2. Thursday would be a 1 hour recovery ride on flat terrain staying in zone 1.

3. Friday take a day off the bike with minimal activity. 

4. Saturday first thing in the morning, entirely on mostly flat terrain, ride 15 minutes building slowly into mid zone 2, then "ladder" sprints of 10 seconds, 20, 30, 20 and 10 seconds with 3 minute recoveries in between. Then a 60 second full effort with a five minute rest then a 45 second full effort finishing with 15 minutes spooling down into a zone 1.  This is a low "training stress score" workout that will get the junk out of your muscles and system.

5. Finish each ride with a quality recovery shake. I use First Endurance Ultragen.

Edited by DesertNomad
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CBaron said:

How were trail conditions?  Was there much water at the few crossings?

-CJB

There were probably half-a-dozen or so spots on the trail where you had to ride through some mud, but other than that the conditions were perfect. I walked all but 2 of the crossings I think, which was made easy by rocks and branches that had been placed for that purpose. 

I noticed that my Strava didn't register the SSlayer segment, although my miles were actually greater - 26.6 vs. 26.4. Could just be because I started at CB instead of Russel, although I didn't thing that mattered on Strava as long as you cover the complete segment. It does look like I added a short triangle at Walnut Springs, but I'm pretty sure I was following whatever signs were posted there. Also looks like either my GPS failed or I got off track going through Russel Park. I do remember at one of the crossings cutting across a grassy median to get to where the Race sign was on the other side. Suppose I should have looped around on the street instead.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1965255238/overview

Edited by throet

28 minutes ago, throet said:

I noticed that my Strava didn't register the SSlayer segment, although my miles were actually greater - 26.6 vs. 26.4. Could just be because I started at CB instead of Russel, although I didn't thing that mattered on Strava as long as you cover the complete segment. It does look like I added a short triangle at Walnut Springs, but I'm pretty sure I was following whatever signs were posted there. Also looks like either my GPS failed or I got off track going through Russel Park. I do remember at one of the crossings cutting across a grassy median to get to where the Race sign was on the other side. Suppose I should have looped around on the street instead.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1965255238/overview

the SSlayer segment which someone made last year starts at Russell.  That is why it did not register. 

• Thanks 1

Kudos to anybody who finished 2 or 3 laps out there today! The conditions were not optimal but seemed to improve as the day went on. I opted for only a single lap at the 11am start time but did manage to beat my previous best lap time by 30 minutes,  finishing in 3:17 today.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, throet said:

Kudos to anybody who finished 2 or 3 laps out there today! The conditions were not optimal but seemed to improve as the day went on. I opted for only a single lap at the 11am start time but did manage to beat my previous best lap time by 30 minutes,  finishing in 3:17 today.

That's a great time throet.

I was planning on doing two laps, but only did one. A few minutes before the finish line I got a small cramp in my left quad, it gave me the perfect excuse to call it a day after one lap. It was the responsible thing to do 😉 I wouldn't want the person sweeping the course to find me crying somewhere in Cedar Breaks.

Glad I finally finished a lap of Georgetown and got that monkey off my back. I've tried it 7 times and failed to complete it because of mechanicals, injury, or flooding (last time I separated my shoulder and tore my rotor cuff). 

It was a great event and I'm glad I did it. Next year I'll be back for two laps and a rock trophy.

A big thanks to DesertNomad for putting on the event, it was the smoothest run race I've been to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HoneyBadger said:

That's a great time throet.

I was planning on doing two laps, but only did one. A few minutes before the finish line I got a small cramp in my left quad, it gave me the perfect excuse to call it a day after one lap. It was the responsible thing to do 😉 I wouldn't want the person sweeping the course to find me crying somewhere in Cedar Breaks.

Glad I finally finished a lap of Georgetown and got that monkey off my back. I've tried it 7 times and failed to complete it because of mechanicals, injury, or flooding (last time I separated my shoulder and tore my rotor cuff). 

It was a great event and I'm glad I did it. Next year I'll be back for two laps and a rock trophy.

A big thanks to DesertNomad for putting on the event, it was the smoothest run race I've been to.

good job dude!

• Like 2

Yes, everything did go very well considering the forecast and what 'could've been'.  The first lap was damp and a bit sloppy, but the 2nd lap was MUCH MUCH better.  Once the rocks had dried, some of the (few) dirt sections were hero dirt.  Although the muddy sections and water crossings had expanded due to the traffic coming through the trail.  But overall a great day.  I knocked 30 minutes off last years time.  And the winner (top 3?) all beat last year's winning time.  So it was quick!

Desert Nomad put in a  lot of work and it showed!

-CJB

• Like 4