IGNORED

2018 DragonSlayer

DesertNomad

DragonSlayer 2018 - by EnduraRace (formerly ATX100K)

The time to sign up is now. We are on track to sell out of spots well before November 18th 2018.

Just like last year, there will be tons of raffle swag for completed laps from the following sponsors:

Texas Cycle Werks, The Peddler, Georgetown Cyclewerks, Salsa Bikes, Teravail Tires, Absolute Black, TOGS, Chann Mcrae Coaching, Fasthouse, Hammer Nutrition, Orange Seal, Integrative Sports Massage, Lezyne, and the Donut Taco Palace I

Flyer.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CBaron said:

You guys need to come out for the (unofficial) DS pre-ride on Monday the 3rd, Labor Day.  You can get a good idea as to what 2 or 3 laps will involve.

Is the group going to try and hang together, or are these individual efforts?  It's still going to be hot as hell. 

Here are the details of the pre-ride.  I've been meaning to bring some of this over here, but I've just been too busy and lazy.  http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/177227-monday-sept-3rd-lgt-unofficial-dragonslayer-pre-ride-call.html

To directly answer your question, no we will not try to stay together.  However, last year we had about 12 people and a good few ended up riding together.  My group settle into a group of 4 riders (for 2 laps).

I don't really know what to say about the heat.  My initial reaction is to tell everyone that this is Texas, its been 90-100 for months so HTFU.  But then again, I don't want to brow-beat anyone into doing something that is overly dangerous for themselves.  So in the end, I'll say this....if you're planning to come and do 2 laps at the pre-ride, then I trust that you are not a rookie rider.  This should mean that you should know yourself, your limitations and how to prepare.  Eat, dress, ride accordingly.  I myself, do fine in the heat, especially if I keep moving.  You can always just do one lap, and that could very well be completed before noon.

-CJB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even one lap of LGT in the summer can be taxing because of the heat but it's doable as is 2 laps.  Either your fitness is there or it isn't,  but one thing you can control immediately is your hydration and nutrition for your ride.

TAKE MORE WATER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED! 

I rode a conservative 3:30:00 lap last week to get a feel for that pace and went through almost 90 oz before Tejas where I refilled.  I would recommend taking a 100 oz camelbak with an additional 20-24 oz frozen water bottle in it as a bail-out. Still plan on refilling at Tejas at least to the point you have 50-60 oz total in case something goes amiss before you get back to Russell. It's better to finish with some extra water than ride the last several miles dehydrating yourself - your body will recover much faster after the ride.

Don't forget food: you need to be taking in 300 calories an hour or there-abouts.  Also - electrolytes. I use Hammer Nutrition Endurolyte Extremes, but whatever works for you, make sure you bring enough for four hours.  

In the summer heat, when there is no cloud cover, there are several spots along the Dragon where it feels like you are riding through a hair-dryer.  Enjoy!

Median temps historically for mid November are pretty mild so the event itself will likely just require dealing with the mileage/time and possessing mental/physical/emotional fortitude to complete without the added burden of too hot or too cold.

• Like 2

I rode 50 miles today starting at 7:30am, along a variety of trails in south Austin (with a few roads).  I went through over 150 ounces of water today.  Took me seven hours, and moving time was 5:43.  Which is a bit slow, but I had to stop often to make sure I was making the right turns as many of the trails were unfamiliar to me.  And I certainly slowed down a bit as it got hotter. 

Two laps of LGT will certainly be a greater challenge as it's more consistently rocky, except when you are on the double track, but then you are exposed to the sun.  I generally don't do a lot of riding up there in the summer--that trail tends to be pretty hot, although sometimes you can get a nice breeze from the lake when you are close to it. Will definitely be easier in November based on temperature alone.  

Some of us grouped together last year and took turns pushing the bike out to Tejas for the dude that broke his arm on the steps.

Listen to DesertNomad and bring more water than you think.  And like that old Mojo thread says, bring more spares than you've ever brought to a ride.

I've also recently discovered that there are quite a few places to get water at the guard stations in each of the parks(?).  Previously I thought the only spot to refill was Tejas.  But thats not the case.

Last year we did this same ride on Labor Day and I believe the temps were 71* when we started and I'm sure they were in the 90's when we finished.  Everyone can start hydrating now.  :)

-CJB

Desert Nomad-

Have you heard about the massive tree-fall near Crockett Gardens (and further up in direction of Sawyer)?  Its some of the worst tree-fall I've seen in ATX.  Looks like a down draft came through and knocked over some HUGE trees.  Additionally, there may be 4-5(?) more trees that have fallen over as you head towards Sawyer.  Each fallen area is separated by about 100 yds.  Some are notable, some are just annoying.

Thanks -CJB

Cody, 

Today a small group cleaned up a large number of fallen trees between Cedar Hollow and Crockett Springs.  Crockett was a disaster when we arrived on the scene.  We got everything between Cedar Hollow and Crockett, but there are more trees between Crockett and Cedar Breaks.  Don't know if there are more downed trees elsewhere. 

I posted a report here: 

Photos: 

..Al

Thanks a bunch to you all Albert!  I'd like to buy beers for that crew.  You all deserve it, that had to be some serious work.

If everything get taken care of between Cedar Breaks and Sawyer, then it would get everything.  The rest of the trail sections seemed fine to me.

-CJB

• Like 2

I know an effort is going to be made this week to clear more of the downfall.  Do you know if there are more trees down west of Cedar Hollow towards Sawyer Park?  I know there's some additional downfall between Crockett and Cedar Breaks.  But I haven't seen the entire loop since this happened, so not sure how much additional downfall there is. 

Let me know if there's going to be more work scheduled out there. Happy to help if I can but I didn't see the post for this morning's work until it was too late.

I'm signed up for 2 laps at DS, and for me that will be a significant achievement. Last time I rode out there I felt like I had something left in the tank after a single lap, but not enough to have finished a complete second lap. I'm compiling some of the tips that were posted last year and again this year, but mostly I'm just trying to drop a few pounds and get as strong as I possibly can ahead of the race, which falls shortly after my 60th birthday. I'm going to start practice laps out there Labor Day weekend, either at the scheduled pre-ride on Monday or possibly on Sat or Sun. I might even do a lap Sat and then another one on Mon. The forecast is for low humidity that weekend, for whatever that's worth.  

Edited by throet

• 1 month later...

Todd posted a fb request for riders to hit this part of the Lake Georgetown loop in the near future. 

Riding this weekend? Provided no more heavy rain, please put some wheels around Lake Georgetown. Specifically needing traffic on the lost 15mm loop at walnut springs and from Tejas back to the stairs. Those two areas have been mowed today and yesterday but need tire traffic. Don’t want to do a full lap? Park at Russel and head CCW upstream, around Tejas and to the stairs then turn around and head back. Thanks guys and gals.

Will post this as a XC thread as well. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure how often @DesertNomad posts here but I just saw updates on Endura Race's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/EnduraRaceLLC/

Trail/course is marked, trails are no longer underwater, downed trees/debris have been cleared, pre-ride scheduled Sat Nov 10th @ 8am (assuming Mother Nature is cool w/ it), tons of awesome prizes from sponsors, Finisher's jersey is ready, & the Dragon Slayer is still on for Nov 18th.

Edited by Hakalugi
  • Like 3