IGNORED

2018 DragonSlayer

DesertNomad

If I can't suffer, I need to make sure someone else will!

Not sure if registration is sold out... If it is, I'd like to donate (if that is possible) my registration for 81mi of pure bliss to someone in need. Still recovering from an injury and unfortunately (or should I say luckily) will not be able to make it this time.

2 minutes ago, CBaron said:

In an environment where I'm "trying" to ride fast, I could tolerate most any level of cold weather around TX.  But add in the rain and my tolerance threshold hold begins to plummet quickly.

-CJB

Cody, your temperature tolerance level is greater than mine.  I feel stiff in temps under 50 degrees even with a proper warm-up.  Plus, cold air gets behind my prosthetic eye and into my titanium implant, which gets cold and can really hurt.  In the 60s and higher temps, I feel very fluid.

Oh don't get me wrong...I DESPISE the cold!  I've been cringing and flinching all week with my riding.  But on a day with 'harder effort' (I don't fully consider the DS a race), its much easier to tolerate cold temps.  Comparatively though, you personally have got a lot more to deal with that I do!  But if it was dry, I could prolly race down into the 30's and be ok.  Heck I think last year for the Excruciation Exam it may have been below freezing for a little bit in the morning.

-CJB

6 minutes ago, throet said:

Current forecast appears to be for less than 1/10 of an inch of rain coming tonight and clearing up by start time, albeit still cloudy for the duration of the event. Temps should be in the 50s throughout.  

Yeah, the forecast seems to have improved.  I'll be at the start line for at least one lap. 

• Like 1

I will take some last minute entries at registration tomorrow morning.  Get there early and HAVE YOUR USAC MEMBER NUMBER and $20 in CASH ready to go.  Sign a waiver and you are good. You probably won’t get a number plate cause I will run out and you won’t get a goodie pack but you can come try for the swag which amounts to around $4000 total.  You can also qualify for the jersey if you are hard enough.  Rule numbers 5 and 9 will be in full effect. 

Cold.  Wet. Frigid. Muddy. Slick. Yuck. Cold.  Had I known how wet it was, I would not have ridden and damaged the trails like that.  Also, while I appreciate all the work that goes into this event, as well as the sponsors donating schwag, I am not doing this event next year.  November is not a time of year that I want to do this event.  It's challenging enough without the cold.  August or September, IMO, are optimal months.  I'll eventually do three laps, just not as part of an organized event like this.

Funny how different people can be regarding temperature. I've been telling everyone the opposite :)

I make a lot of heat, if it wasn't for wet feet from all the water crossings, yesterday's weather was just about perfect for a guy like me. I did the full three laps with just a light long sleeve shirt, fully unzipped jersey, and a pair of lycra shorts. Last year when the DS was in October, it was 85 and humid and it about killed me.