IGNORED

The Things People Say

TheX

The things people say.

So many conversations here where I learned something new, or realized something I was doing wrong. Some of them seem intuitive and logical...now. 

Simple things, like AB saying that he doesn't wear baggies because they catch on the nose of the seat. After reading that I'm aware every single time it happens to me. It used to just be part of riding and it didn't bother me. I need my pockets so I put up with it.

Another one, people that ride *through* things instead of *over* them. I was definitely one of the people riding through features like rock gardens. Now that I look further ahead, and roll over them I'm faster and safer. When I focused on the rocks/roots/etc. I was actually more likely to hit them while trying to avoid them.

Riding faster to be safer. This one took me a while. 95% (estimate of course) of my OTB's have been from riding too slow for the trail. That goes along with looking ride in front of me instead of looking down the trail, and through the turns.

There are a LOT more examples but you get the idea.

I appreciate the people here. I appreciate resources like austinbike.com, and recommend it to new riders that I meet. I don't agree with a lot of opinions other people have but I will defend their right to have them. kindness, inclusion, and the desire for equality for all people means accepting things that we don't agree with. It means not pre-judging and using stereotypes. It means getting out of our comfort zones at times to defend the rights of those that have a different view. I have enjoyed my time here and wish nothing but happiness for all of you. Because of what I learned here I have a lot of road trips planned to places I never knew existed. I may be slow because of my heart attack and previous injuries, but I get out there and do it. I greet everyone I see, and hope that crossing paths with me out there is a pleasant experience.

Thanks again. Even though my time here is done, I will still point people this direction. This is a well run, amazing resource. 

• Like 6

Im with AB on shorts, for stated reason as well as that most baggies are LONG. Everytime I pedal they ride up and over kneecap and it's really fucking annoying. I still wear shorts, but they're quite shorter than typical shorts, and a bit more form-fitting than baggies. Now I just buy padded underwear/shorts and wear separate shorts over those. 

Edited by jcarneytx
Cause

23 hours ago, TheX said:

Thanks again. Even though my time here is done, I will still point people this direction. This is a well run, amazing resource. 

Well said.

Also, bought a dropper 6 years ago and haven't snagged shorts since.

I'm confused. Did I miss something? Does someone need to go check on TheX?

Any clarification on this..I didn't know theX personally but he was pretty active on here and thought it would be cool to ride with him sometime..
I hadn't seen anything in other posts to suggest an exit..I figured with what he added to this forum people would ask more questions ..I haven't been here long but always liked his posts sorry to see you go X

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

X is a good guy. I’ve dug trail with him at Walnut before. This site is social media and people quit it all the time for a wide variety of reasons so I just assumed he was simplifying his life and stepping away. I wish him the best. His posts made me think and that’s a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was really active on some other message boards and such (too much time on my hands?) and this spring, I just logged off and have not gotten back on. this particular forum is the only one where I participate. I think it's more welcoming because it's local and most of the people here meet each other at one time or another. with forums that are global, you get all kinds of kooks being obnoxious because everyone is a stranger. I got burned out on arguing with people over nitpicky things. but stuff like this can take a lot of time and cause some stress, so it's better to leave if it's not adding enough positivity to your life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAF said:

You’d think after a million posts, he might have said farewell.

You'd think so. But I've observed he's a cold turkey kinda fellow. He decided to stop drinking and he was done. He decided to stop riding motorcycles on the road and he was done. Same with here. It's a little bit of shooting your foot off to spite your face (is that how that works?) but he ain't a fickel man.

Edited by Barry

Haven't posted on mtbr in ages. Used to troll the Kona forums just to get under users skins. Now it's a bit boring and I avoid. Pinkbike comment sections are more fun 

Love it or not, X is his own man. 

Edited by ATXZJ

MTBR was a major source of stress for me, actually. I'm conversing with the locals on Discord because it's a great source of hyper-local info with minimal drama.

I had honestly never heard of Discord. What is special about it? Have I been under a rock or is it niche?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I had honestly never heard of Discord. What is special about it? Have I been under a rock or is it niche?

I don't know much about it other than gamers really like it for chatting about games. someone invited me to join the Austin MTB group there and it's intensionally chill. The largest Austin MTB Facebook group has its share of obnoxious trolls, some of them people who have been kicked off of here, so I avoid that too.

On 7/24/2021 at 5:10 PM, Barry said:

You'd think so. But I've observed he's a cold turkey kinda fellow. He decided to stop drinking and he was done. He decided to stop riding motorcycles on the road and he was done. Same with here. It's a little bit of shooting your foot off to spite your face (is that how that works?) but he ain't a fickel man.

Never met the fellow, to my knowledge. No great loss.