IGNORED

Headset question

Cafeend

I came home today all anxious to ride. Grabbed my junk , grabbed my bike and the bars didn’t budge. Frozen. With all the water lately and several washes apparently my lower bearing of the headset rusted or corroded just enough to seize up.

I pulled it all apart and in the picture is the lower bearing. A Cane Creek ZS44.

The top bearing is smooth like jazzy butter on a baby’s ass.

The bottom bearing feels like sand as I move it.

Rough and nothing like the top. Looking at the edges of the blue seal it does look wet and rusty in there.

Do I replace that? Is it a serviceable part? I assume I can replace just that lower bearing and not the whole headset.

Thankse06006333ed716471afcbc3e3ea0f9cc.jpgb67d5dd8bf4305f732f1c67532d7b389.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old one will have an ID, OD, and thickness. Go to any bearing shop and they should be able to match it and the seal if there is one. There's one on Airport Blvd, if memory serves. Capitol Bearing or something like that.

Then, grease the hell out of it with a waterproof grease, particularly in the places water may encroach.

You can probably clean it up, re-lube it and get back to quasi-functional for the weekend if you can't get a bearing until Monday. That blue part can be pried out with a thin knife blade or pick to get to the bearings.

Was that your bike they were using in that Asian board ride event in the recently posted video?

Edited by Ridenfool

I came home today all anxious to ride. Grabbed my junk , grabbed my bike and the bars didn’t budge. Frozen. With all the water lately and several washes apparently my lower bearing of the headset rusted or corroded just enough to seize up.
I pulled it all apart and in the picture is the lower bearing. A Cane Creek ZS44.
The top bearing is smooth like jazzy butter on a baby’s ass.
The bottom bearing feels like sand as I move it.
Rough and nothing like the top. Looking at the edges of the blue seal it does look wet and rusty in there.

Do I replace that? Is it a serviceable part? I assume I can replace just that lower bearing and not the whole headset.
Thankse06006333ed716471afcbc3e3ea0f9cc.jpgb67d5dd8bf4305f732f1c67532d7b389.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just order a new lower race. I had same issue this week. That race is like 10 bucks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1