IGNORED

Lots of Destinations

hurronnicane

Unsure where this belongs, if anywhere.  We left Dripping Springs on July 12 in our daughter and her boyfriend’s DIY dodge sprinter van conversion.  We had no real destinations and only the loosest of timeframes to visit those undetermined destinations.  So far we have been quite successful.  We brought our bikes, lots of books, and an aggressive slacker mentality as we try to avoid the heat in Texas.  Riding destinations have included Capitan, New Mexico area including Ruidoso, Lake Abiquiu, New Mexico and nearby places, and now trails in the Pagosa Springs area.  As older riders we have not been hitting as much gnar as my younger self would have liked or as many epic length rides as some, still we have had a bunch of fun.  I finished my fourth book of the trip this morning and hope to complete my eleventh ride this afternoon.

FBB46182-E83B-4DA6-8B54-B51894129604.jpeg

26547CB1-E4A1-477E-A6AF-3DA619A9F9BD.jpeg

Edited by hurronnicane
Typo
  • Like 11

Yesterday was my birthday and we did a fun trail through an amazing landscape!  A navigation error added some extra miles and my wife was a real trooper about it, and the extra miles were some of the best riding we’ve done together in a while.  Temperature maxed out around 75 degrees.  Did I mention the wildflowers and copious quantities and variety of mushrooms?  Today I squeezed in one last ride before we broke camp and headed out.  

EDFCDF04-5557-4332-A1D6-3D32D2A8DDA6.jpeg

1B026AE0-6CD3-4EDB-B075-8042DC85D640.jpeg

08E08DB8-BFB5-4FFC-9A95-8BA2A62D33FC.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

what did you read?

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Simon the Fiddler by Paulette Jiles

Of Bears and Ballots by Heather Linde

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green 

As we run short of books we have turned to Tiny Libraries and might eventually have to buy a new book or two.  We have already apologized to our local library for overdue books.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 11:37 AM, hurronnicane said:

Yesterday we rode near Del Norte, Colorado.  A point of historical interest is the Old Spanish Trail which passed through the trail area.  There are ruts in the rock made by the wagon wheels.  

F2AE1F1B-9CD3-403B-8742-1933515B10E5.jpeg

I can't like these posts enough. Stoked and admittedly jealous of all your travels. Spent a lot of time around del norte, south fork and creede as a young person. Freaking LOVE southern colorado. Keep the updates coming!

Edited by ATXZJ

59 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

Since it sounds like yall have been mostly winging it, generic question: any issues camping without reservations? what type of land have you mostly been camping on? how do you figure out where to setup camp for the night? 

We have mostly been “boondocking”.  So we just look for dispersed camping opportunities on BLM and Forest Service lands.  There is an app that is helpful called iOverlander.  The trick is to find a site early in the day so that the looking isn’t stressful.  We have not always succeeded but it has generally worked out.  Really only one bad campsite so far.   It’s a huge step up from tent camping which is all we’ve ever done but there are some luxuries we don’t have, like a bathroom and shower.  All is good though.  We have eaten well, slept like babies and had a really relaxing time with a decent amount of riding (or altogether too much riding depending on who you ask), hiking, a speck of live music and seeing friends, etc.  We have only had to pay for four nights of camping and three of those nights were dirt cheap with our lifetime Senior National Park Pass which seems to work at most federally managed sites.

2E198495-8618-403E-97A6-DBD3A1B744D6.jpeg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

I can't like these posts enough. Stoked and admittedly jealous of all your travels. Spent a lot of time around del norte, south fork and creede as a young person. Freaking LOVE southern colorado. Keep the updates coming!

I want to hit Del Norte again on our way back south.  It sounds like there are three or four good places to ride near there.  And yes, southern Colorado is beautiful!  I want more!

• Like 1

After finally breaking free of the gravitational pull of the Gunnison area we drifted south.  We had seen a dirt road on the state highway map that went from west of Saguache to Lake City (30 or 40 miles).  It took some time to find it but it was a magical drive creeping along in the van.  Amazing scenery!  Saw only a few people, one who was bike packing a segment of the Colorado Trail.  Saw a moose and her two calves on the drive.

72BC2762-B14C-43BF-86E8-0071F72BB777.jpeg

B8CD42B7-75CE-4788-AA17-90E323A953E7.jpeg

• Like 6

On 8/22/2021 at 11:59 AM, hurronnicane said:

Morning visitors.  They seem a little put out that we haven’t offered some sort of a breakfast buffet or at the very least, hot chocolate.

4D0B548D-4ACF-4AB7-BE60-66631920A27F.jpeg

Is this the trail-end of Hermosa Creek (and subsequent TH for Jones Creek)?

-CJB