IGNORED

The 1st Photo of You Biking

WhoAmI

I was digging through my photos for the Critter Sightings thread and came across photos I had forgotten about long ago.  I then started looking for the oldest picture I have of me riding a bike, like near the start of when I took up mountain biking as an adult, not a picture of me on my Schwinn Stingray as a kid.

So, I want to see your first picture of you riding a mountain bike for the first time or shortly thereafter.  If you started as a kid, let's see it!  If you started in your 50s, post it up!  Tell me a little about that experience!

I found this one of me from November of 1997 when my brother and I met at the IMBA Summit in Nantahala, NC, to learn about trail building and build some trail on Flint Ridge.  We rode that weekend at Tsali, and the temps were in the high 20s.  There were frozen puddles on the trail!!! We rode with a local reporter, Tony Castleberry (I don't know how I remember that name!), and he took pictures of us riding. My bike was a Voodoo Wango from BSS on Toomey Road. I think my pedals were Onzas, though I might have started riding SPDs by then.

I rode a mountain bike for the first time in 1988 or 89 but didn't start riding until April of 1992, so I'm trying to find earlier pictures of me!

Dewayne Tsali NC 1997.jpg

Tsali NC.jpg

• Like 9

Ha! A friend recently sent some group pics of trip we took to the NOC from Tsali. May have been 95/96. Don’t remember which trip. We used to go every spring then for the big blowout Guest Appreciation Fest end of October each year.

94e3d1eea3cf9ebb7336c2aa140bb87f.jpg

Edit: on my Profled 856 so either 96 or 97.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I am sure there are earlier flatland photos, but here's me being a dirtbag bmx street rat grinding a heavily waxed ledge in downtown Indianapolis. baggy jeans, oversized t-shirt, no helmet. I probably have bulky knee pads under those jeans. late '90s.

1064547285_ScreenShot2021-08-04at9_06_59AM.png.a43c1473eacd1ee3b7bced894f5317ae.png

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 13

Cool thread...

Here are my easy to reach photos.  I know I can get a little earlier with the MTB and much earlier back to my 11 yr old BMX days.

This is my very first MTB race while at TX Tech in Fall of 94', I ended up winning the 3 race series and I still have the 'chainring trophy' on my bookshelf.  I made a few friends at that race that I still ride with to this day.

IMG_7948.thumb.JPG.b6f9d0e9b112fd1b80925097d8be31c7.JPG

2nd time to Lajitas (Desert Classic 1995).

IMG_9132.thumb.JPG.c579f9653e8940c8b287426567ed3d21.JPG

This was my 2nd race ever and believe it was at Flat Creek Ranch 1995.  This was back when XC rode very technical stuff on skinny @ss 26er tires, 63mm travel Mag21's were "long travel", and the Expert Class (Cat 1) raced a mind-blowing 3 laps for about 20 miles(!!!)  LOL

IMG_9137.thumb.jpg.b81ec9d309a21b9110d6a268097847d0.jpg

• Like 13

I wouldn't say even that I was a mountain biker at the time, but here is me with my first mountain bike, which I purchased online for $499 in 2008 I think. Had rode a mountain bike once before in upstate NY, and after moving to Austin decided that I wanted to take up the sport. Once I had the bike I checked out ARR's website and decided I should head right over to City Park. Nearly killed myself that day and then decided Walnut Creek was a better place for me to get started.

image.thumb.png.056b2abc71e8f08d9676ef8ea13d74f3.png 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, throet said:

Once I had the bike I checked out ARR's website and decided I should head right over to City Park. 

City Park was my first trail, too! I was about a year out of the military (1992), playing soccer, and in great shape when I came home to visit my family.  My brother was going mountain biking with friends, and I said that it sounded like fun.  They scrounged up an old Mongoose Iboc for me, and I put on a pair of sweats and some sneakers for my first mountain bike ride.  City Park was running clockwise then, and they took off down the first three ledges.  I followed them like I knew what I was doing, came into the right hand turn at the bottom of the last ledge, and failed to make the turn, grabbing fistfuls of brakes, going over the bars helmetless, and landing on a poor juniper sapling that broke my fall.  From those first 20 seconds, I was in love with the sport!

Edited by WhoAmI
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

This one is embarrassing. That's me in the middle sporting an extra chin and posing with my first "mountain bike", a Specy Hardrock. Taken somewhere around 2006 in Lubbock after riding trails that in hindsight were definitely too muddy and thinking how cool our bikes looked caked in mud. 

4BB606E7-AC44-4FAD-B632-38F51CEE1DDE_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.26003aacb5872e9a81bb358c41814f25.jpeg

• Like 6

On 8/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, notyal said:

This one is embarrassing. That's me in the middle sporting an extra chin and posing with my first "mountain bike", a Specy Hardrock. Taken somewhere around 2006 in Lubbock after riding trails that in hindsight were definitely too muddy and thinking how cool our bikes looked caked in mud. 

4BB606E7-AC44-4FAD-B632-38F51CEE1DDE_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.26003aacb5872e9a81bb358c41814f25.jpeg

Lubbock has always been rad. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 8:48 AM, rockshins said:

This was at Surisan. So many miles of amazing trails there, but this was my local mountain and my favorite. 
When were you over there? Where did you ride?

I have ridden Surisan, Sinwolsan and I think another that escapes me at this point. Used to go there on business all the time, 2006-2012.