IGNORED

Bull Creek beginner route?

Lacch

A buddy of mine is looking to buy his first mountain bike and hoping to find some nearby trails to ride. He lives next to a Bull Creek trail head (360 and Winding ridge) and would like to map out a route from his apartments, through some trails and back home. We have done a lot of hiking in the area, but neither of us know if there are any beginner biking trails near by. Google maps shows the Bull Creek Mountain Bike Trail near by, but we've only ever hiked those trails and don't know where to start/end for a decent ride. From memory those trails don't seem beginner friendly, but I can't say for sure.

Are there any trails/routes near the 360/Bull Creek area that he should consider?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Lacch

If he is buying his first bike, then I would recommend somewhere else. 

Bull Creek is rideable, but it tends to be more start-stop than smooth riding. Beginning riders tend to be more frustrated by paths like that. I'd get him going on Walnut Creek or Slaughter Creek first. That will build his confidence and then Bull Creek will be more enjoyable.

• Like 2

There are no official MTB trails at Bull Creek. The official hiking trails are full of steps and ledges that are a hassle for even experienced riders. They are also a mess to navigate. I would look elsewhere. There is a very short loop near him that is very beginner friendly, but I suspect would get really old, really fast. I take my 8yo out there to practice.

image.thumb.png.4c016fe211964040550a87507d08742a.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

There are no official MTB trails at Bull Creek

Google maps shows these trails (see pic)... I've hiked them, but never taken a bike there. Thanks for the tip on Irving and Hazel Memorial Trail, i'll check it out!

image.thumb.png.a8a9850004ac30ac1c392573f27f548c.png

Edited by Lacch

Here's my take on the trails along Bull Creek.  The trails in the green areas in the screen grab below are beginner friendly, though the creek crossings will likely be challenging.  The section of trail connecting to the other two areas is more technical, overgrown, and muddy in places.  A new rider would not find this fun at all.

Bull Creek Trails.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lacch said:

Google maps shows these trails (see pic)... I've hiked them, but never taken a bike there. Thanks for the tip on Irving and Hazel Memorial Trail, i'll check it out!

The trails in that area are not official/legal trails. While folks use them, they are not sanctioned and you won't find much support in this forum for discussing them.

That said, they are also not beginner friendly so I would steer clear anyway.

Edited by Mattlikesbikes
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

The trails in that area are not official/legal trails. While folks use them, they are not sanctioned and you won't find much support in this forum for discussing them.

That said, they are also not beginner friendly so I would steer clear anyway.

I'm amazed the pics are still here. Back in the day you wouldn't whisper the word "Ken's" without wrath of the admins. 

1 hour ago, WhoAmI said:

Here's my take on the trails along Bull Creek.  The trails in the green areas in the screen grab below are beginner friendly, though the creek crossings will likely be challenging.  The section of trail connecting to the other two areas is more technical, overgrown, and muddy in places.  A new rider would not find this fun at all.

Bull Creek Trails.jpg

Agree. In fact the loop in the northern part has increased in mileage and fun factor in the past 5 years. While the climb up to the Apartments is not fun, it's a blast to bomb down and there are actually 2 main lines to go up/down and a short bit up top to ride. 

Also, for beginners and extra mileage don't forget the Irving and Hazel Memorial trail, super easy loop. 

image.thumb.png.279269503c14450af751f1a5c4fc6ad8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rugger said:

I'm amazed the pics are still here. Back in the day you wouldn't whisper the word "Ken's" without wrath of the admins. 

Well you're the first to say it! But anyway I don't much think our administration is staying on top of this particular issue. Although our PM system might be working overtime at the moment. 

12 minutes ago, Barry said:

Well you're the first to say it! But anyway I don't much think our administration is staying on top of this particular issue. Although our PM system might be working overtime at the moment. 

The name < the actual location in a map pic, so fuck it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i've been riding bull creek greenbelt for years. its more of a connector for me, but when i was starting out it was a solid beginner ride. start at spicewood springs where it passes under 360, ride the trail south all the way to bull creek park and do the loop in the meadow (called skips loop on trailforks), then head back. there are a few tricky sections you can figure out/ride around with exploring.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/bull-creek-greenbelt/?activitytype=1&z=13.9&lat=30.37520&lon=-97.77681

Edited by circuitbreaker
  • Thanks 1