IGNORED

Trainer VS Stationary Bike

Cafeend

Since due to my injury it looks like I won't be on the trails in awhile.

I am looking at trainers to use with my bike at home or possibly a stationary bike

This would be a short term thing since I can't stomach having a stationary bike taking up space in my garage so I'd want to ditch it in a few months. But trainers look to store better but are pricy.

Any real pro and cons to either?

I likely will try to find something off FB or CL and not buy new

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Back when I was skinny and racing on weekends, I had a Wahoo fluid trainer. If you wanna get your sweat on and get fit, start doing trainer intervals. Lots of workouts on the web that keeps you, not bored af going nowhere. I had a spare wheel with a road tire for my mtb so it's not loud vs a knobby.  

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

old thread, but I am considering getting some sort of indoor trainer so I can pedal somewhere — er, I mean nowhere — while I find a way to escape from Texas. I have a dumb trainer but I guess I need a tire or wheel that will be suitable for that. anything else I need to consider? I guess a 700c wheel with a 142x12 axle for my gravel bike, with a trainer tire, would do the job. I don't want to mess around with removing and installing tubeless tires too often if I can avoid it.

Edited by mack_turtle

Mental fortitude and a really big fan for air flow are necessities.

I had to use a metal skewer with the old quick release set up I used years ago to prevent damage. I'm not sure how a through axle set up works on a trainer.

Personally, I'd take the heat over a trainer ride any day, but I get it. Heat doesn't bother me but I'd make a lousy Eskimo.