IGNORED

Who lives in Blockhouse Creek, what's up with Jumano and the greenspaces?

rugger

If you live in Blockhouse you should be ashamed of yourself for not utilizing and maximizing Jumano Park. If you live in Blockhouse and don't know you have Jumano Park...just stop MTBing and get a road bike, you don't deserve an MTB. Seriously...Jumano has potential. It's already a park, it has sanctioned trails (signage, trailheads)...why aren't you using them, why aren't you maintaining them, why aren't you expanding them. So much potential, it's not a big place, but it could easily handle more trail (hell, just reclaim a lot of the existing overgrown trail and you have a lot more). Connect it to Lakewood Park, connect it via the greenspace over to Blockhouse Creek Blvd. The creek is gorgeous, the cliffs, the trails along the creek, the grotto, the waterfalls... it's a like a mini Walnut Creek without ANYONE there. Just the existing trails and older/overgrown trail will probably net you over 4 miles connecting all of them with a bit of repeat to connect, plenty of room for expanding in the existing space. 

https://www.strava.com/activities/5771654860

Bonus...like Suburban Ninja... the Red Horn at Scottsdale is real close. 

jumano_bike.JPG

jumano_clif.JPG

jumano_raw.JPG

jumano_strava.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, notyal said:

I heard (from my dog) that this has a nice meaty chew.

image.thumb.png.e73793d9f32f9fcb60cc598be37d08f6.png

Seriously though, why do we give dogs a monthly pill that repeals annoying at the least and potentially deadly insect bites, but we humans spray ourselves with DEET every day?

Wrong thread.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Barry said:

Sweet! Hey @schoolie, it looks like this will connect spectacularly well with next year's Brushy Burrito Buffet...

image.thumb.png.e0c31a0a1f999192e4a82e28b959fafa.png

I had not hear of this Burrito thing, but planning something similar for Fall, but throwing in a lap at LGT... though not sure there will be enough daylight. 

Also, IMO, although Behrens has more real estate, the terrain at Jumano blows Behrens flat boring shit away...reused double track an MTB trail does not make. 

1 minute ago, rugger said:

I had not hear of this Burrito thing, but planning something similar for Fall, but throwing in a lap at LGT... though not sure there will be enough daylight. 

Also, IMO, although Behrens has more real estate, the terrain at Jumano blows Behrens flat boring shit away...reused double track an MTB trail does not make. 

Nutcracker II?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

How is the trail along buttercup creek to Westside preserve? I always turn around at the Y/snail trail.

You can catch the sidewalk across 183 at Muir Apts to the south side, or hit the jeep roads to trails via the north side of the lake then hit the trail and ride trail ALL the way to Anderson Mill except crossing Cypress, every other crossing is under the streets. Pretty cool, not super fun, but it's trail. 

15 hours ago, rugger said:

Our Brushy Burrito Buffet was born out of the discussion on this thread. So far as I'm aware, only 5 people have completed a variation on that loop--certainly it hasn't had any organized version. Coincidentally the Peddler shop was planning to organize some version of this in late 2019, about the same time I first did this loop, but they never got around making it happen before Covid. And they were calling it Nutcracker 2. It didn't involve LGT that time. But there's been lots of discussion about throwing an LGT loop into something like this. And according to @Tree Magnet, a ride that includes all this, plus LGT should be called the Complete Chimichanga. 

I appreciate that Behrens is pretty uninspiring, but it does have a couple of fun spots. And they way @schoolie discovered to connect it to WilCo is absolutely spectacular. So I like to hit it as part of this big loop, or as a gravel bike ride from the house. I don't think I've ever done Behrens without including WilCo. 

• Like 1

When I was living there a few years ago, I used to ride at Jumano Park and through the Blockhouse Greenbelt to the pool; I'm not sure the trail is being used enough to not be overgrown.  I started to expand that trail further southwest but became more employed and couldn't dedicate time to it.

Blockhouse Trail.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Barry said:

Our Brushy Burrito Buffet was born out of the discussion on this thread. So far as I'm aware, only 5 people have completed a variation on that loop--certainly it hasn't had any organized version. Coincidentally the Peddler shop was planning to organize some version of this in late 2019, about the same time I first did this loop, but they never got around making it happen before Covid. And they were calling it Nutcracker 2. It didn't involve LGT that time. But there's been lots of discussion about throwing an LGT loop into something like this. And according to @Tree Magnet, a ride that includes all this, plus LGT should be called the Complete Chimichanga. 

I appreciate that Behrens is pretty uninspiring, but it does have a couple of fun spots. And they way @schoolie discovered to connect it to WilCo is absolutely spectacular. So I like to hit it as part of this big loop, or as a gravel bike ride from the house. I don't think I've ever done Behrens without including WilCo. 

There are decent...actually very nice trails in the neighborhood right beside Behrens to the east as well, Wood Glen... not proper single track, but nice nature trails completely covered by trees in their greepspaces. When I lived off Sam Bass and Hermitage I used to ride all over the area and rode what little was at Behrens at the time as well. From Wood Glen you can then cross Old Settlers and ride the little greenbelt there too at Oak Hollow and Old Settler, ride it over to Sommerset Park via a couple street connections...or ride from Wood Glen down to the doubletrack along the RR tracks and connect to Sommerset or even ride all the way to Sam Bass from there. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rugger said:

There are decent...actually very nice trails in the neighborhood right beside Behrens to the east as well, Wood Glen... not proper single track, but nice nature trails completely covered by trees in their greepspaces. 

Ah, neat. I assume you mean the dotted lines in WoodGlen shown here? I'll check it out the next time I connect to Behrens from the south. 

image.thumb.png.fcbf8c3cd9f4e7ba330fe5dfad521c04.png

Crystal Falls and Travisso have a pretty decently sized trail system as well.  When I was a resident in CF, I would ride over there a couple times a week.  Much different terrain than Brushy.  By the time I moved, it was insanely overgrown.  I only saw two other riders while I was out there and they made a comment how they've never seen anyone out there.  It's sad.

29 minutes ago, Barry said:

Ah, neat. I assume you mean the dotted lines in WoodGlen shown here? I'll check it out the next time I connect to Behrens from the south. 

image.thumb.png.fcbf8c3cd9f4e7ba330fe5dfad521c04.png

Yep. There was a bit more than that, as I recall. You could punch out to the powerline and there were other trails, not a lot...but trail beats pavement anyday. 

12 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Crystal Falls and Travisso have a pretty decently sized trail system as well.  When I was a resident in CF, I would ride over there a couple times a week.  Much different terrain than Brushy.  By the time I moved, it was insanely overgrown.  I only saw two other riders while I was out there and they made a comment how they've never seen anyone out there.  It's sad.

You moved to under a rock 😄 There are loads of established trails there now and plenty of riders hit it. I believe @schoolie can be given some credit for some of the expansion. 

Edited by rugger
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I tried to give it a go this morning. It does have potential, but man it is hard to navigate in its current condition. There was a good bit of construction going OB for the disc golf course, too  

A4757F8B-AFD4-4E59-A680-B4CF89560153.png

I was wondering what all that undercutting was about. And there goes the neighborhood @Morealice loves the dick golf. 

Yea, it's a interesting little bit of trail system...not something I would drive to go ride, but passing by a couple times I figured I needed to take a closer look. The north side needs some brush hogging or weed eating. 

As is the south side isn't bad once you understand all the intersections and can make it flow a bit. 

Edited by rugger

5 minutes ago, Barry said:

Strava heatmaps is how to find the real sooper sekrits. 

Shhhh...no one needs to snoop on the global heatmap. NO!!!! 

I love it, but again it's cheating. In 1992 you had to EXPLORE, you had to FIND, you have to sweat, bleed, and cry to find all the hidden gems. It's insane how much trail there is out there...

• Like 1