IGNORED

Time for a new bike?

Lacch

18 hours ago, Lacch said:
19 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Dumb question... What tire PSI are you running in the front?

I used the SRAM online calculator as a starting point and am currently running 33psi in the back and 31psi in the front. I only recently started to play with tire pressure, so I have a lot more experimenting to do.

I would recommend experimenting with lower pressures. I run 22-25psi on both my bikes. Which is still relatively high, but I'm running tubes (vs tubeless). Below 18-20psi the risk of pinch flats goes up with tubes.

I found, especially with my kid's bike when I ran too high, it rode really rough on peddlers. I run her around 15psi but she weighs 50lbs...

@AustinBike, what PSI were you running on your ridged on descents?

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

I would recommend experimenting with lower pressures. I run 22-25psi on both my bikes. Which is still relatively high, but I'm running tubes (vs tubeless). Below 18-20psi the risk of pinch flats goes up with tubes.

I found, especially with my kid's bike when I ran too high, it rode really rough on peddlers. I run her around 15psi but she weighs 50lbs...

@AustinBike, what PSI were you running on your ridged on descents?

I was running way too high because I was lazy. I was on tubes (long story) and the desert thorns meant lots of slow leaks. And I had to do some portion of the ride on the streets. I was probably running 35+, but doing that all from a hand pump. The climbing was generally great, but descending and rocks were a bitch.

3 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

I would recommend experimenting with lower pressures. I run 22-25psi on both my bikes.

woah, I didn't think tubes could be run that low... I'll go ~25psi tomorrow and ride my same routes to compare.

thanks!

tire pressure is weird. I have ~30mm wide inside rims, 2.35-2.5" tires, weigh 160 pounds, and use ARD inserts. I can't imagine the ride quality with less than 22 psi in my tires. with anything less than 20, I constantly feel like my tires are going to roll right off the rim under me in corners. most people in my situation would run their tires in the mid-teens, but even at 20+, I feel my rims hit roots and rocks a few times during every ride. I just can't get comfortable with that much squish.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

What are y'all measuring pressures with?  Until a few months I went only by my Specialized pump.  Then I bought a digital gauge...it's made in Germany...it gives me lower pressures than my pump.  I target 28-30 rear and 25 front on 2.35" on 30mm rims with my pump, and the gauge tells me it's ~10psi less.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

What are y'all measuring pressures with?  Until a few months I went only by my Specialized pump.  Then I bought a digital gauge...it's made in Germany...it gives me lower pressures than my pump.  I target 28-30 rear and 25 front on 2.35" on 30mm rims with my pump, and the gauge tells me it's ~10psi less.

Getting an accurate gauge was a game changer for me too. 

I have an Accu-Gauge that goes up to 45psi. I think it was $20 or so, money well spent. I somehow damaged it once and had to mail it to Chicago to fix. they sent it back within a week.

I pump my tires to 30 psi as read on the gauge built into my floor pump, then attach the gauge and lease air until it in the low 20s.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I pump my tires to 30 psi as read on the gauge built into my floor pump, then attach the gauge and lease air until it in the low 20s.

6 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

The German is right.

The German is always right.

Trust the German when it comes to numbers and measurements.

BOTH:

Technically Correct GIFs | Tenor

Edited by RedRider3141
  • Haha 1

SKS is what I bought.

But now I feel like I need to buy that Park Tool inflator. ANSI AND NIST certified!  Plus it just looks so sick.

Oh, I love analog stuff and for my car I use a Longacre similar to the Jaco unit and I had it tested and came out very accurate.  For this reason I wanted to get an Accu-gage, but one of the things I found while looking at the reviews is that they lost the recipe along the way and the newer ones were getting terrible reviews.

Getting an accurate gauge was a game changer for me too. 

I don’t know about accurate, but I had to switch to consistent when I went to high volume ultra low pressure plus tires. I use the same mini topeak digital gauge no matter the pump or compressor I use. 2 psi low and I’m rolling the tires on the sidewall. My favorite pump is a 35 y.o. Zefal floor pump, but the gauge is all over the place sub 30 psi. At 110 it’s close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

I don’t know about accurate, but I had to switch to consistent when I went to high volume ultra low pressure plus tires. I use the same mini topeak digital gauge no matter the pump or compressor I use. 2 psi low and I’m rolling the tires on the sidewall. My favorite pump is a 35 y.o. Zefal floor pump, but the gauge is all over the place sub 30 psi. At 110 it’s close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for consistency. All I know is I run 17/ 14 on my gauges and it works. Find your numbers on your gauge and roll with it, no pun intended. 

• Like 1

I pulled my pedal wrench out of a rock, I was the only biker able to extricate it from the rock. I am the chosen pedal remover.

As to consistency I will quote myself from an article I once wrote for Forbes: "When you have one data point, it is religion. When you have two data points one is right and one is wrong. When you have more than two data points, none of them is correct."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

As to consistency I will quote myself from an article I once wrote for Forbes: "When you have one data point, it is religion. When you have two data points one is right and one is wrong. When you have more than two data points, none of them is correct."

That's going on my quote wall.

I ran ~7psi lower today (I think I'm at 25psi? but I don't know if I can trust my gauge...).

The ride was great! I'll do it again tomorrow at the same psi to be sure, but it seemed to be a huge improvement all around. I did slam my back rim a little too hard at one point, but that was my own fault for not finessing enough.

Unfortunately, I was an idiot and let my dropper post slowly loosen over time, to the point where it separated and I shattered the little plastic adjustment thing when I slammed it down...  I don't even know what that plastic thing does (see pic), so I get to figure that out tonight...

Capture.PNG

Edited by Lacch
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacch said:

I ran ~7psi lower today (I think I'm at 25psi? but I don't know if I can trust my gauge...).

The ride was great! I'll do it again tomorrow at the same psi to be sure, but it seemed to be a huge improvement all around. I did slam my back rim a little too hard at one point, but that was my own fault for not finessing enough.

Unfortunately, I was an idiot and let my dropper post slowly loosen over time, to the point where it separated and I shattered the little plastic adjustment thing when I slammed it down...  I don't even know what that plastic thing does (see pic), so I get to figure that out tonight...

Capture.PNG

That's the seat post shim. That allows your post to go up and down but not have as much side to side play. It's pretty important for the longevity of your post. I think this is the first time I've ever heard of someone breaking one.

I managed to get it seated back in there well enough for now...

I reached out to PNW to ask for a replacement... They sent an order confirmation with the replacement part within 30min of my request. That's some amazing customer service, those guys are awesome.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lacch said:

I managed to get it seated back in there well enough for now...

I reached out to PNW to ask for a replacement... They sent an order confirmation with the replacement part within 30min of my request. That's some amazing customer service, those guys are awesome.

PNW is the best for customer service. They have earned my business and will keep it for life.