IGNORED

Time for a new bike?

Lacch

Change of plans...

I took my wife out to Walnut this morning and had her ride some of the tamer trails on her cruiser (outer/inner log loop, point-six loop, etc)... Well, she's super hooked on the idea of riding trails and wants a bike with suspension.

So, now my bike needs are on hold and I'll need to figure out what to get her. I'm thinking FS is a must because she needs that smooth Cadillac ride. She is a loooong way from popping up ledges, doing drops/jumps/etc, mostly she just needs something to smooth out the trails so that she can power up hills and be comfortable on downhills.

Any tips on buying a bike for the lady? Should I still consider mid level FS and spend 2-3k for something that will likely just be an "off-road cruiser" ?

1 hour ago, Lacch said:

Change of plans...

I took my wife out to Walnut this morning and had her ride some of the tamer trails on her cruiser (outer/inner log loop, point-six loop, etc)... Well, she's super hooked on the idea of riding trails and wants a bike with suspension.

So, now my bike needs are on hold and I'll need to figure out what to get her. I'm thinking FS is a must because she needs that smooth Cadillac ride. She is a loooong way from popping up ledges, doing drops/jumps/etc, mostly she just needs something to smooth out the trails so that she can power up hills and be comfortable on downhills.

Any tips on buying a bike for the lady? Should I still consider mid level FS and spend 2-3k for something that will likely just be an "off-road cruiser" ?

Would either of you fit on this bike?

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/san-marcos-salsa-big-mama-2010/7371850851.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, notyal said:

Nice find.  Thats a good place to start for a rider looking for low-cost modern-enough bike.

9 hours ago, Lacch said:

Change of plans...

You've been getting some very good advice in this thread (and prior).  But I generally recommend trying to get into something at a comfortable price point until you (she) has proven to be committed to the sport.  The reason you are bummed for not buying more bike for yourself is because you've established that you are going to fully use it enough to justify that bigger expense.  I say this as something who's owned a bike  shop, and worked at 3 others prior, you are in the minority.  The odds were more likely that your bike was going to hang in your garage as wall-art.  IMHO your wife sorta needs to prove the same.

My suggestion is to pick a reasonable price point for your budget and then buy something used.  This way if her interest is short lived then you can always get most of your money back in the sale of her bike.  If you go new, you would be taking a pretty noticeable depreciation hit on that sale.

If a FS is in your budget range, then go for it.  But I really don't think that's completely necessary.  Ya'll are just getting started in this, look how much you've recently learned (discovered) with just tire pressure.  There are many more of these nuggets yet to learn.  They can very well improve the riding experience for you and her.  Most of the riding population started off on hardtails.  Some of us still choose to ride them.  Buy FS if your budget allows, but her being a rookie rider should not be the reason for that choice.  In fact, some people would say she SHOULD start of on a hard tail for a variety of reason.

Congrats on getting the bike bug....and having a wife show even THIS much interest in it.  Who knows where this can/will take you?!

Cheers,
CJB

@CBaron I read your response 3 times... Lots of great points, thanks for the perspective!

20 hours ago, notyal said:

Would either of you fit on this bike?

Its crazy how you guys see value in bikes that I would totally overlook...Thanks for the find, but she'll need a S/M.