IGNORED

Home Audio

Mattlikesbikes

As we finish out our Barndo at our ranch, I am thinking it might be nice to add some better audio options.

It's a small apartment with a living-room/Kitchen open space. Then a big deck. There is a Samsung Frame TV on the wall in the living room area. 

Simplest would just be a bluetooth speaker on the console table under the TV and then a different speaker on the deck. Works well when the kids are watching TV and we are on the patio. But what about times when we want to have the same music playing inside and outside. Any suggestions there?

I'd like to avoid a bunch of Sonos equipment as it gets pretty pricey.

Anyone have experience with a decent amp/receiver I can put in the attic (conditioned space) that I can control with bluetooth? Then ceiling speakers in the apartment and then a second channel of speakers on the deck? I've had this setup but wired in the past. I just don't really want to run an A/B wired switch at this point.

• Like 1

I've actually been shopping for high-end powered speakers with wifi and bluetooth as my main set of speakers.  I don't have much interest in music everywhere but have just learned a tiny bit about it so far.  The best solution IMO are speakers that are powered and Wifi enabled which allows you to play music from a music server or service.  I've been relying on Crutchfield.com to get educated on some of this stuff (there seem to be several standards for music-everywhere type stuff).    I'm really curious on someone that's more of an expert on this though.

I went stupid simple so I didn’t have to explain it constantly or try to figure out what they did to it. [emoji849] SmartTv with all the music & video service apps built in with Bluetooth capable sound bar and Bluetooth sub with add on Bluetooth speakers. 99% of our audio and video use is off streaming so it seemed less involved than the receiver/amp route I would have done 20 years ago. Crazy how much cheaper it’s gotten. Got a 37” Samsung with soundbar & wireless sub under $1000 last Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, as a Sonos convert I have to say, it's expensive, but the reason it is expensive is because a.) it works, flawlessly and b.) it sounds great.

I bring a LOT of technology into our house and my wife rolls her eyes at most of it. I say it is there to make her life easier and she thinks that it complicates things more.

Except Sonos.

I think if I ever said I was getting rid of the Sonos she'd kick me out.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Man, as a Sonos convert I have to say, it's expensive, but the reason it is expensive is because a.) it works, flawlessly and b.) it sounds great.

I bring a LOT of technology into our house and my wife rolls her eyes at most of it. I say it is there to make her life easier and she thinks that it complicates things more.

Except Sonos.

I think if I ever said I was getting rid of the Sonos she'd kick me out.

This is 100% what I've heard not only from other tech-heads/geeks/gadget freaks but also from a pro in the business of setting this kind of stuff in very high end places.  The prices are high but not ridiculous IMO (probably helps I've been looking at high end speakers...).  I perceive Sonos to be like a high end alloy SS:  it just works, it's reliable, it's fun.  Sonos is also the Miata of speakers.

I have one older gen 1 Sonos Connect:Amp if anyone wants to play around with it to see the interface (connects to your home speakers).

I also have a Sonos Play:1 in my guest bedroom that I would be happy to let someone borrow if they want to get hooked on Sonos. The first hit is always free, but ya gotta give it back.