IGNORED

Spider Mountain

Schrute

12 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

However, if my wife and I can do a three day weekend and ride RPR and SM, then it'll still be cheaper than loading up and heading to NM or colorado. And for the record, f@ck new mexico:classic_biggrin:

woah woah woah there buddy. F@ck New Mexico? you're doing something wrong. I don't know if we can be friends. 

why dont you like New Mexico? IMO the trails themselves are better than everywhere I've ridden in Colorado. which I know is a big statement but I stand by it. and Angelfire us without a doubt better than winter park, keystone, and crested butte bike parks

Edited by Seths Pool
  • Haha 1

"...The retired Al’s Run quad from Taos is headed to Texas to anchor the state’s first lift-assisted bike park, Spider Mountain.  Mountain Capital Partners is behind project and will host a preview mountain bike race on September 29th.  Skytrac is installing the lift, which will open sometime next year.  “There is a much larger plan for the property and bikes are just a part of it,” says a poster on Bike Mojo involved in trail building.  Spider Mountain sits just outside Burnet, Texas and has a 350 foot vertical rise with views of Buchanan Lake..."

https://liftblog.com/2018/09/18/lift-served-bike-park-to-open-near-austin/

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

What I mean by a threat is what you are seeing reflected in the pricing. $50 for lift pass and trail access or $50 for trail access. If they priced it at $50 for lift and $10 for trail (to match RPR) then people with e-bikes could pay the $10, ride everything down and use the battery to take them back up. In essence, they are not able to amortize the cost of the lift as quickly if they allow people to bypass it.

Are there normal singletrack trails at SM? I can only imagine the "trail access pass" would allow people to pedal up the service road and take the DH trails down? In the end, they control the land and can decide who/what accesses the trails. None of it makes sense but at some point they might clear it up.

FYI, Seth from Seth's bike hacks will be there this weekend.

Edited by ATXZJ

54 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

woah woah woah there buddy. F@ck New Mexico? you're doing something wrong. I don't know if we can be friends. 

why dont you like New Mexico? IMO the trails themselves are better than everywhere I've ridden in Colorado. which I know is a big statement but I stand by it. and Angelfire us without a doubt better than winter park, keystone, and crested butte bike parks

Hate to tell you this, but theres more to living in a state than mountain bike trails. Austin is a pretty good example of this. I lived in NM twice, once by choice, and couldn't get out of that place fast enough. NM ranks at or near the bottom of US states in every possible metric. Last I checked it had a negative net migration for this very reason. Lived in a majority of the states in the SW/Western US and also California. NM is 3rd world in comparison.

We'll stay friends regardless as you know the trails, and I have extra bike parts you need🤣

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i'm ok with them not providing a trail only pass or single tickets. it keeps the pricing simple. who wants to monitor whether or not there are ebikes on the triail, people riding up, deal with passes, etc. you're there, just ride the lift and get more runs in.

the basic problem is the at the price is steep. i think $30-40 is more of a  sweet spot. and hopefully the price will come down in time. but there will be plenty of people willing to pay $50. Spider Mountain's best resource is the fact that there are like 10 million people within 3 hour drive.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrTheCatLady said:

Folks,

You think these people are inept?

You think they'll have creditors lining up at their door soon?

-cls

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 9.48.44 AM.png

LOL...

Enron... Publically traded company that should have been properly regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mountain Capital Partners... Private company that answers to its private shareholders.

Big difference.

Nice try though.

"...In Phoenix, Kuzi oversees operations for the multi-family housing operations in Arizona, California, Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico. In addition, Kuzi develops, manages, and oversees a portfolio of initiatives to enhance customer experience at all of MCP’s resorts..."

What's that...

"...multi-family housing operations..." in five states?

Could there be a sixth state being added?

1 hour ago, RidingAgain said:

LOL...

Enron... Publically traded company that should have been properly regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mountain Capital Partners... Private company that answers to its private shareholders.

Big difference.

Nice try though.

Doesn't matter what kind of company each is.  Point is, leaders cannot be said to be competent based solely on their status as leaders.  Or recent financial performance/successes.

-cls

• Like 2

1. Done being salty here. Lets get some park people, and quit whining. We wanted a lift park and got one. (Hopefully with outdoor shower, or garden hose access.)

2. $30 or 40 a day would be nice. $50 when it gets more trails and wooden features like Highland or Trestle.

3. NM is the land of enchantment. I love to visit and it's magical but haven't lived there. ( I miss Questa Honey, and using the outhouse in El Rito while viewing mountains hundreds of miles away.)

4. The ol Lottaburger! Love that and TCloud ripoff Storms.

5. Does their property go down to the lake for a post ride swim?

edit 6. True value can only be deduced after riding the trails. If they are truly progressive with lots of airtime and properly built rollers and step-ups, where you can work a trail over and over it would be worth more than just trails and a chair. IE: I hope they are building it right.

Edited by Bamwa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bamwa said:

5. Does their property go down to the lake for a post ride swim?

I did find this on their site, hitting the alternate revenue stream angle.  https://www.spidermountain.com/

" Spider Mountain Bike Park offers a variety of trails for all abilities - with an aggressive plan to add more trails regularly. Once you've had your fill of gravity-fueled thrills, sample our lake resort amenities where you'll find lodging, camping, SUP and boat rentals at our private marina and more. "

After zooming in on GoogleMaps Satellite view I found a link to a resort with the same address as Spider Mountain website references. Thunderbird may be what they purchased, and the resort site provides some additional info on amenities that may be a part of the overall plan. If so, I'll say that their business plan may offer more elements than are shown on the SM website so far. It seems to be better thought out than the impression the SM site paints. EDIT: Same link is on the SM site as "LODGING" at the top of each page.

http://www.thunderbirdvacation.com/

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrTheCatLady said:

Doesn't matter what kind of company each is.  Point is, leaders cannot be said to be competent based solely on their status as leaders.  Or recent financial performance/successes.

-cls

Actually...

I didn't use the word "...competent...", did I.

I used the word "...inept...".

And if you read the bios of the various people you would have seen that they are not only leaders, but leaders with what seems to be fairly positive professional backgrounds.

Now for sure it may be all hype. But I never claimed that it wasn't. I simply put it there and asked a question for consideration.

As for your "...Or recent financial performance/successes..." thought.

These folk are not a group of young start-up people... They seem to have many decades of experience.

No one knows what tomorrow will bring... Which is why we should do our due diligence as best we can... And then hope what we've concluded is correct. But doing due diligence does include considering "...recent financial performance/successes...".

43 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

I did find this on their site, hitting the alternate revenue stream angle.  https://www.spidermountain.com/

" Spider Mountain Bike Park offers a variety of trails for all abilities - with an aggressive plan to add more trails regularly. Once you've had your fill of gravity-fueled thrills, sample our lake resort amenities where you'll find lodging, camping, SUP and boat rentals at our private marina and more. " 

After zooming in on GoogleMaps Satellite view I found a link to a resort with the same address as Spider Mountain website references. Thunderbird may be what they purchased, and the resort site provides some additional info on amenities that may be a part of the overall plan. If so, I'll say that their business plan may offer more elements than are shown on the SM website so far. It seems to be better thought out than the impression the SM site paints. EDIT: Same link is on the SM site as "LODGING" at the top of each page. 

http://www.thunderbirdvacation.com/

Agree with that assessment.  Spidermountain front splash screen is the same view as thunderbird from lake overtop the resort looking at the hill.  Now it is looking like a much better investment - skiing, biking, adventure central.  And the fam can come and enjoy while I bike!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Agree with that assessment.  Spidermountain front splash screen is the same view as thunderbird from lake overtop the resort looking at the hill.  Now it is looking like a much better investment - skiing, biking, adventure central.  And the fam can come and enjoy while I bike!

Would it be wrong for me to hold out for their providing bike wash station, post-ride showers, food and drink onsite for the day trippers? 🥓

Edited by Ridenfool