IGNORED

Spider Mountain

Schrute

1 hour ago, gotdurt said:

True, but that's hella better than 15 up, 3 down...repeat, etc (and being fresh at the top) :classic_smile: 

I might actually ride this summer!

Absolutely. Just doing comparison shopping against other lift access places I've been. Considering how the value compares with driving someplace further away, but with a longer ride to lift ratio.

• Like 1

True, but that's hella better than 15 up, 3 down...repeat, etc (and being fresh at the top) :classic_smile: 

I might actually ride this summer!

This is where im at. For $50 im G2G for a drive out there and HOPEFULLY they'll eventually build a bar. At that point, I'm all in:classic_biggrin:

We had two kids racing in NICA and that got expensive f@cking fast. This will be a no brainer

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, Ridenfool said:

Absolutely. Just doing comparison shopping against other lift access places I've been. Considering how the value compares with driving someplace further away, but with a longer ride to lift ratio.

Yea, don't do that, you'll be terribly disappointed 😀

I was actually thinking about that though, and how sometimes on the big mountains, just to ride the segments that I like, I always end up feeling like I'm wasting time and energy on lesser trails getting to/from my fav's. Trestle is a really good example; some of my favorite trails anywhere, but I couldn't help but get that feeling of, "ugh, this again?" In order to ride the segments I like. One run from top to bottom could be 1/2 an hour, and 1/2 way down I'm already ready to be done with that run... This park won't have that problem... it's only problem will be riding the same 2 trails 20 times in a day :classic_laugh: 

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

Yea, don't do that, you'll be terribly disappointed 😀

I was actually thinking about that though, and how sometimes on the big mountains, just to ride the segments that I like, I always end up feeling like I'm wasting time and energy on lesser trails getting to/from my fav's. Trestle is a really good example; some of my favorite trails anywhere, but I couldn't help but get that feeling of, "ugh, this again?" In order to ride the segments I like. One run from top to bottom could be 1/2 an hour, and 1/2 way down I'm already ready to be done with that run... This park won't have that problem... it's only problem will be riding the same 2 trails 20 times in a day :classic_laugh: 

I’ll be interested to see how many trails they can swing out there! Currently I do think the $50 bucks is steep for 4 1/2 trails, but I’m willing to give them business once a quarter to help fund there progress! Now if in two years it’s the same 4 1/2 trails I would probably be over it! 

15 hours ago, 4fun said:

I’ll be interested to see how many trails they can swing out there! Currently I do think the $50 bucks is steep for 4 1/2 trails, but I’m willing to give them business once a quarter to help fund there progress! Now if in two years it’s the same 4 1/2 trails I would probably be over it! 

As a recovering skateboarder, I look at spider mountain more like a skatepark. It's a sanctioned & confined area thats free of pedestrians, cars, offers support for first aid and most importantly, a place where i can improve my skillset and abilities until i'm ready to call it a day. As mentioned in the other risk thread, the penalty for failure is pretty high on a lot of trails around austin, and isnt the best place to safely push your limits.

I've been watching the vids and pretty stoked to go, especially seeing they also rent DH sleds.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

As a recovering skaterboarder, I look at spider mountain more like a skatepark. It's a sanctioned & confined area thats free of pedestrians, cars, offers support for first aid and most importantly, a place where i can improve my skillset and abilities until i'm ready to call it a day.

Just a fact in support of the above...i saw at least one sign at the park indicating NO HIKERS.  Which I think is GREATNESS.

I wish I had timed the dang chair lift...it does seem pretty long but then again, as has been pointed out already, that just means you are well rested at the top, every time.  Also, cell reception is good IIRC so you can Words With Friends or whatever on the way up 🙂 

-cls

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrTheCatLady said:

Just a fact in support of the above...i saw at least one sign at the park indicating NO HIKERS.  Which I think is GREATNESS.

I wish I had timed the dang chair lift...it does seem pretty long but then again, as has been pointed out already, that just means you are well rested at the top, every time.  Also, cell reception is good IIRC so you can Words With Friends or whatever on the way up 🙂 

-cls

My Strava shows the chairlift to be 7 to 10 minutes, the busier it gets the slower they make the motor speed. But, great views, LTE, and heckling make the lift ride go quickly!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

What would be, and this is probably just me thinking it, but if they a "challenging" climbing course under/around the lift, for those weirdos that like to climb, that would be pretty cool. Take the lift or ride up, your choice.

There is already a steep road to the top. If you go to the website and look at the map it says bike/hike up or something. It is pretty challenging as everyone who did the race had to go up it like 6 times that day. So the option is there if you don't want to take the lift. 

2 hours ago, Schrute said:

There is already a steep road to the top. If you go to the website and look at the map it says bike/hike up or something. It is pretty challenging as everyone who did the race had to go up it like 6 times that day. So the option is there if you don't want to take the lift. 

Yeeeaaaa, y'all enjoy that road...

• Like 2

Yeeeaaaa, y'all enjoy that road...

...aaaaand pay $50 for that opportunity to climb.

I'm very willing to climb and earn-a-turn.  But not if I'm paying full price to do it...and NOT on a big travel bike either.  If big climbing is in my plan, I'd prefer to do it on my hardtail.

-CJB

41 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

$50 it is then. Tried calling but just got a message for "thunderbird" what ever that is. Anyways they need a few tweeks.....new phone message, and calendar and hours on their website. 

Thunderbird Lodge is the property that Spider Mountain sits on.

and yes, spider mountain needs to get its act together on the marketing front. A webpage would maybe be helpful in 2019.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, circuitbreaker said:

Thunderbird Lodge is the property that Spider Mountain sits on.

and yes, spider mountain needs to get its act together on the marketing front. A webpage would maybe be helpful in 2019.

https://www.spidermountain.com/

Edit: Thanks for the clarification Bamwa.

The above would be the perfect place for them to put such a page, once they get around to figuring out that their customers might want their site to work like, well, a real website for providing useful info to the people with the money burning a hole in their pockets.

Edited by Ridenfool

36 minutes ago, Bamwa said:

That's a webSITE. We're talking a webPAGE, like with a calendar and hrs of operation and stuff, RFoo

As an IT worker I deal with lUsers daily and can tend to answer things like this based upon a premise that these terms use is synonymous to many folks. :classic_rolleyes: This may not always be the case, and I am at fault for making the presumption.

However, because webSites are made up of webPages, it made sense to steer anyone looking for a particular "page" to the site it would reside on if it existed, or will eventually reside on once created.

As on most webSites, there will be a contact / comment / admin link or page where inquiry can be made to the person in the best position to add content to the webSite. This would be a most effective way to insure they are made fully aware of the needed webPage(s). As opposed to griping about it in a forum that seems likely to have nobody from Spider Mountain reading, who might actually be able to do something about the omission of such a webPage on their webSite. :classic_biggrin:

My guess is that the local crew were pressed to get the facility open, and the website/webpages development has taken a back seat to the opening, Perhaps, the task was delegated to a website crew who is managing a number of sites for all of their properties, and work on this site has a lower priority than work needed on sites supporting active ski resorts during ski season. Follow the money to find the squeakiest wheel that gets the grease.

But yes, it is needed, and I expect it will be added soon enough.

Edited by Ridenfool

16 hours ago, Schrute said:

Challenging and INTERESTING. switchbacks, ledges, etc. A nice interesting, challenging climb with some technical features. Roads on a mtb are dumb.

10 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

As an IT worker I deal with lUsers daily and can tend to answer things like this based upon a premise that these terms use is synonymous to many folks. :classic_rolleyes: This may not always be the case, and I am at fault for making the presumption.

However, because webSites are made up of webPages, it made sense to steer anyone looking for a particular "page" to the site it would reside on if it existed, or will eventually reside on once created.

As on most webSites, there will be a contact / comment / admin link or page where inquiry can be made to the person in the best position to add content to the webSite. This would be a most effective way to insure they are made fully aware of the needed webPage(s). As opposed to griping about it in a forum that seems likely to have nobody from Spider Mountain reading, who might actually be able to do something about the omission of such a webPage on their webSite. :classic_biggrin:

My guess is that the local crew were pressed to get the facility open, and the website/webpages development has taken a back seat to the opening, Perhaps, the task was delegated to a website crew who is managing a number of sites for all of their properties, and work on this site has a lower priority than work needed on sites supporting active ski resorts during ski season. Follow the money to find the squeakiest wheel that gets the grease.

But yes, it is needed, and I expect it will be added soon enough.

I did let them know on the phoneMESSAGE I left them.  Your link came off as pretty smartass post since obviously I had to be on the site to realize there isn't a calendar or hours there. I hope you enjoyed your creative writing session.