IGNORED

Spider Mountain

Schrute

6 hours ago, Bamwa said:

I did let them know on the phoneMESSAGE I left them.  Your link came off as pretty smartass post since obviously I had to be on the site to realize there isn't a calendar or hours there. I hope you enjoyed your creative writing session.

Nobody has ever inferred that I might be a smartass before.

41v47-4IiEL._SX342_.jpg

All seriousness aside, contacting someone using the email address from the Contact page (spidermountain@mcp.ski) might be more effective in getting the message to a person in a position to actually effect the change desired.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

Challenging and INTERESTING. switchbacks, ledges, etc. A nice interesting, challenging climb with some technical features. Roads on a mtb are dumb.

I mean it isn't single track, but it isn't a paved road either. It's like a steep ass fire break. It's definitely a challenge so if you wanted to skip the lift because you felt like climbing I think you'd definitely satisfy some of that need 👍.

3 hours ago, Lo@nRider said:

Depends on how big the spider gets 😜. It's still a baby.

im playing... im actually interested in helping build more trails there as a matter of fact.

but I do wonder if they will actually add much more black trails to the place. their bread and butter will obviously be more blue and green runs since that is what the masses seem to prefer.... 

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

No extra charge for climbing - and there's plenty of it!

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

And then some

it has something for everyone 🙂 even the XC dudes could get their fitness rocks off at cat. once you get used to the climbs at cat, not many climbs around here seem super tough after that. but ive still never been to thumper or lances but ive heard a lot about both places

Edited by Seths Pool

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

it has something for everyone 🙂 even the XC dudes could get their fitness rocks off at cat. once you get used to the climbs at cat, not many climbs around here seem super tough after that. but ive still never been to thumper or lances but ive heard a lot about both places

Not been to Cat, but I don't think Thumper is all that big of a deal in the grand scheme of 'haul of fame' climbing trails.  The issue with Thumper is in its repetitive relentless nature, up/down up/down, up/down...all while riding a very narrow trail tread.  I think some of the new stuff being built around 4c is considerably bigger climbing numbers than Thumper.  

@crazyt had definitely ridden both.  Let him make that call.

Later, -CJB

Seth posted his spider mountain video for his patreons today. Video was well done, and will probably drive quite a bit of interest for the resort for people outside the enduro/local circles.

Will probably be on YT tomorrow at latest

Edited by ATXZJ

27 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Seth posted his spider mountain video for his patreons today. Video was well done, and will probably drive quite a bit of interest for the resort for people outside the enduro/local circles.

Will probably be on YT tomorrow at latest

Yep, he posted it on YT too.

My dilemma is this. I'm really excited to give this a go and thinking it will be a great riding venue for the summer time. Problem is, I've been a huge proponent of shorter travel (120-130mm) bikes for around here, with short chainstays and wheelbase for that playful feel. My 2017 Primer 29er has been perfect for me on everything I ride around Central Texas, but I think I'm going to want more if I start hitting Spider Mountain and possibly Cat Mountain. My 2014 Trek Remedy 29er would provide a little more travel and smooth out the bumps better, but it's old school geo with cramped cockpit and long stem to compensate. I think I'm going to want a modern, relatively slack (65-66 degree HTA) 27.5 with 150mm travel and relatively short chainstay and wheelbase. The newer 27.5 Remedy 9.8 would probably fit the bill, or maybe something from Germany like this Focus Sam.

Focus Sam.PNG

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, throet said:

My dilemma is this. I'm really excited to give this a go and thinking it will be a great riding venue for the summer time. Problem is, I've been a huge proponent of shorter travel (120-130mm) bikes for around here, with short chainstays and wheelbase for that playful feel. My 2017 Primer 29er has been perfect for me on everything I ride around Central Texas, but I think I'm going to want more if I start hitting Spider Mountain and possibly Cat Mountain. My 2014 Trek Remedy 29er would provide a little more travel and smooth out the bumps better, but it's old school geo with cramped cockpit and long stem to compensate. I think I'm going to want a modern, relatively slack (65-66 degree HTA) 27.5 with 150mm travel and relatively short chainstay and wheelbase. The newer 27.5 Remedy 9.8 would probably fit the bill, or maybe something from Germany like this Focus Sam.

IMO, before you waste too much mental energy on this, give it a go on your Primer first, I think you'll be surprised a how well the mid-range travel will work, especially on a 29er. Just increasing fork travel 10-20mm (thereby also slackening the HA .5-1 deg) can be all you need to turn it into a competent descender.

That is, unless you just want an excuse to buy a new bike; if so, then understood :classic_biggrin:

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

IMO, before you waste too much mental energy on this, give it a go on your Primer first, I think you'll be surprised a how well the mid-range travel will work, especially on a 29er. Just increasing fork travel 10-20mm (thereby also slackening the HA .5-1 deg) can be all you need to turn it into a competent descender.

That is, unless you just want an excuse to buy a new bike; if so, then understood :classic_biggrin:

That's a really good point. At a minimum I suppose that I should try it once on my Primer and then follow that up with a rented longer travel bike just to see how much difference it will make. 

11 minutes ago, throet said:

That's a really good point. At a minimum I suppose that I should try it once on my Primer and then follow that up with a rented longer travel bike just to see how much difference it will make. 

Your fellow riders currently scrounging materials to make an Ark thank you for exercising this sound wisdom while in the throes of what appears to be a textbook case of newbikeitus.

• Like 2

1938644182_FocusSam.thumb.PNG.f5e21dfa60dbc6cb5ffdc7c66b54a37f.PNG
I bet that primer is just fine out there. Maybe just get 150 up front. Or get a rock shock dual position you can use 150 or 130

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 hours ago, throet said:

Focus Sam.PNG

I came from a remedy, and last year looked at the 9.8. Ultimately ended up on a scott genius. 65.5 degree HA, 27.5 2.8s (I’m riding 2.6s now), and Fox 150/150 suspension with gx drive train. Demo one if you’re in the market for those specs. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, throet said:

Focus Sam.PNG

Primer will be fine. FWIW, I'm down to just one rig, a flexy-stay 100mm 29 that I plan on riding there. Failing that, they rent downhill sleds at SM.

This summer I'll pick up a used process 165 or high pivot commencal supreme sx for spider and cat mountain.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, throet said:

Throet, just as a reference I raced spider on a 130mm 27.5+ bike and just built a 140mm steel hard tail and plan to ride everything out there on it! 

• Like 3

Okay, checked out Spider Mt with Ganderson today, and here's my take, for anyone interested:

We did the green (Itsy Bitsy) first; honestly I was wishing I could start over and do something else. Too much pedaling in order to make it fun at all... BUT... that's exactly what makes it ideal for kids and total newbs; some other parks I've been to had a lot of "greens" that I would hesitate taking kids or newbs on, so good on them for that. We hit it expecting it to be more of a fun warm up like big mountain greens tend to be, but it is a legit beginner trail.

The blue (Viper's Den) was pretty good at first but got boring after 5 or so runs (for us). It's a mild jumpy-bermy trail, so those that like that stuff will probably wear it out.

The double black, "Stinger" (AKA Rotor Smoke) was a blast; steep, fun features, and while sketchy, it was fun sketch. But, as a result of the consistent steepness, short. It also sucked when I started getting fatigued😛. It'll take me a few more runs down it though to find all the best lines and make the most of it.

The black... "Sticky Icky", was sketchier than Stinger, IMO, and not good sketch. I think there are better lines through the off-camber stuff, I just kept ending up in the bad lines, and due to its nature, you can't easily hop lines there. If Stinger is double black (and I'd say it is, compared to other parks), then I'd say this one qualifies as 1.75 black... so round up.

IMO, they need a legit black; something like "Viper's Den" in steepness (and thus length, too), but with the tech of "Stinger".

Unfortunately, we totally forgot about the 1/2 blue (Venom), which is accessible from the green... I'll go back and hit it when they get another trail or 2.

Everything was super dusty and slippery though; it would be a lot more fun a day after a rain.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2