IGNORED

Spider Mountain

Schrute

8 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

Pics, or it didn't happen :classic_biggrin:

Well, it was a $100 day after all.  $50 to get in, and $50 for the ER co-pay after I fell off my bike at the end of my 4th run.  I came in too fast to the clearing where the lift is.  i was headed towards going between a group of ppl and the platform.  one of the ppl moved and i swerved and lost it. Just stupidity on my part.

it was fun while it lasted, though - snow and all.

-cls

HqQrCBr1TBGfos40%NACFQ.jpg

57135057591__5E4CF048-3A9F-4783-B695-EEB830341382.JPG

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, MrTheCatLady said:

Well, it was a $100 day after all.  $50 to get in, and $50 for the ER co-pay after I fell off my bike at the end of my 4th run.  I came in too fast to the clearing where the lift is.  i was headed towards going between a group of ppl and the platform.  one of the ppl moved and i swerved and lost it. Just stupidity on my part.

-cls

HqQrCBr1TBGfos40%NACFQ.jpg

57135057591__5E4CF048-3A9F-4783-B695-EEB830341382.JPG

Well, you kinda went overboard with prep for the second pic. But, yeah, you met the mark. It happened!

Good work. Um, er, and heal up quick there ...

i broke the end of my radius right behind my thumb.

there seemed to be quite a few folks there....maybe 40-50 or so.  i was able to do 4 runs in literally the time it took to ride the lift up and then do the run.  there was no wait at the top or the bottom.  the lift ride is slow, at least 5 mins, maybe 7-8.  the lift does NOT appear to have been assembled by carnies on meth, which was something i was concerned about.  it seemed very solid and quiet.

half of the lift chairs have hooks on the backs.  the other half have those restraint bars that swing down from overhead and run the whole width of the chair, which seats 3-4. it is arranged every-other-seat i.e bike seat, people seat, bike seat, people seat. you load your own bike at the bottom except for the first time, when they load it for you so you can see how to do it.  you dont have to lift the bike too high but the hooks take some practive and i ended up grabbing my bike by the fork with my left hand and the seat stay with my right. but at the top they always unload it for you.  the people up at the top were competent and really nice.

-cls

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MrTheCatLady said:

i broke the end of my radius right behind my thumb.

there seemed to be quite a few folks there....maybe 40-50 or so.  i was able to do 4 runs in literally the time it took to ride the lift up and then do the run.  there was no wait at the top or the bottom.  the lift ride is slow, at least 5 mins, maybe 7-8.  the lift does NOT appear to have been assembled by carnies on meth, which was something i was concerned about.  it seemed very solid and quiet.

half of the lift chairs have hooks on the backs.  the other half have those restraint bars that swing down from overhead and run the whole width of the chair, which seats 3-4. it is arranged every-other-seat i.e bike seat, people seat, bike seat, people seat. you load your own bike at the bottom except for the first time, when they load it for you so you can see how to do it.  you dont have to lift the bike too high but the hooks take some practive and i ended up grabbing my bike by the fork with my left hand and the seat stay with my right. but at the top they always unload it for you.  the people up at the top were competent and really nice.

-cls

Hats off to you man for braving the weather and giving it a go! Heal up soon😎

i only rode the green today.  my riding is terrible in general but today i learned in particular that i don't know how to navigate sharp turns. and i'm not talking about my little swerve-and-eat-sh*t event at the bottom after my 4th run; i'm talking about every turn on the run itself.  the turns on the green run are pretty sharp and most are almost 180* but they are not tight little switchbacks. they are bermed and very deep, each turn almost has a pocket, if you know what i mean. but i was still crawling through each on e of them.  or that's what it felt like, at least.  i look forward to going out there and practicing more.  in 6-8 weeks.

no rocks or jumps on the green.  just turns and rollers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrTheCatLady said:

-cls

Were you the first ER visit to originate from Spider Mountain?  I assume someone at the enduro did the same thing and hit the ER but you never know.

Glad you're okay and props for making opening day.  Well done sir.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:14 PM, olddbrider said:

I'm not a surfer, but my reaction to Spider Mtn. pricing is pretty much the same as it was when I saw pricing for NLand Surf Park.  Very different activities, obviously, but both places are giving folks the opportunity to do something you would normally have to go elsewhere to do.  The fact that NLand is still open means I guess I was wrong to think that their pricing was way too high.  Maybe I'll be saying the same thing about Spider in a few years, but I'm with everyone else who is having a hard time understanding the pricing/membership decisions they are making...

nland closed and was sold

Nland was fun. The buyer owns a similar one in CA, so hope they get it up & running soon.  They kept having equipment issues and shutting down during prime water activity weather. 😞 It's a really nice facility.

The long term fees were kinda steep to me, but they did these constant promo deals that were 2 for 1 priced paired with other activities like Yoga, pilates, gladiator, etc. that made it reasonable if you watched the FB feed or website. 

I may give Spider mtn a try, but I'm hoping they start running some promo things cause 50 bucks plus gas, food, etc. is vacation rates not every weekend to me.

Edited by Chongo Loco
  • Like 1

Seem inland surfing development is on a bit of an upward swing...

BTW, sorry to hear about your injury, MrTheCatLady... Hope your recovery is quick.

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/wavegarden-to-build-the-worlds-largest-wave-pool-in-south-korea

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/surf-lakes-is-coming-to-the-us-england-spain-and-brazil

Edited by RidingAgain

Looking at Trail Forks and considering the time reported for riding down the longest run on the hill, it appears that even if there is never a line to wait for the lift, riders will be spending more time riding the lift than they will spend riding any given trail. Five minutes up, and three to five minutes down.

Edited by Ridenfool

44 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Looking at Trail Forks and considering the time reported for riding down the longest run on the hill, it appears that even if there is never a line to wait for the lift, riders will be spending more time riding the lift than they will spend riding any given trail. Five minutes up, and three to five minutes down.

True, but that's hella better than 15 up, 3 down...repeat, etc (and being fresh at the top) :classic_smile: 

I might actually ride this summer!

• Like 2