IGNORED

Spider Mountain

Schrute

11 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

FR512 is $90/yr. unlimited access to FR512 RHR and Cat Mtn

cat mtn has about 350-370' elevation change, and about 12-15 trails. and is in austin. just thought id throw that out there..

i already contributed hugely to spider mountain by lending A LOT of help building the existing trails there, and will be a supporter after they open, but want to see more trails there

Are these places "publicly available", ie. are you actively trying to recruit customers?

Let me know. I'm not talking about advertising, but neither of those places is on my site and I drive a lot of traffic from people looking for places to ride...

54 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

Ouch. $50 is going to be a tough sell for me to ride a lift up for 4-5 trails. I was hoping it would be $30 +/- 5. 

I’d never pay that alone, but if friends come in from out of state to ride maybe it would be worth it. 

Agreed!!

1 minute ago, cxagent said:

I can confirm Angel Fire is free if you ride up. But two up/down runs was all I was good for in one day. The next day I paid for a lift ticket.

Yep I've done that once. You definitely want to make sure that you pick the best downhill run for your money …… urgh effort. 

13 hours ago, CBaron said:

Difference for me is that I don't take myself and 3 kids golfing with me.  $200 per day to go do lift-serv is just not something that we'll do (ever...or very often).  I completely understand the economics for them, and I COMPLETELY hope they can pull it off.  But when I have to multiply my entry by a factor of 2-4 it changes things for me.

This is pretty much the same thing that happened to me in the MX world.  For me an 2 of my kids to go race MX bikes for the weekend, it would cost me $250-350.  We did that once, before I decided to ride just for fun at cheap(er) (non)events.

Later,  -CJB

I have seen similar situations in other areas. The guy that took me snow skiing for the first time quit show skiing when they started having kids. When it was over $1000 per day for lift tickets and rentals, they stopped. Another buddy raced dirt bikes (hare scrambles & enduros) for many years with his two kids. He also stopped when it became too expensive to maintain three bikes and pay three entrance fees and travel costs, etc.

I am not saying anyone chose poorly or did it wrong. It is their decision as to what they want to do and if it is worth the cost to them.

• Like 1

A comment to the "why don't you just ride to the top" crowd. There is a new section of the SATN that is ski area-ish. Four downhill runs with 90 feet of drop. Three of them are smooth and flow-y that you can do as fast you can handle. I've managed to go up and down six times. I was looking for a lift after the last run! I could have gone up more maybe, but I would have been too tired to handle the downhill runs. One of the Bowie mountain bike kids said he did it 16 times last Saturday. Damn kids. But the point is the fun part is down-hilling. And it's not like you're slacking and coasting downhill. It takes a big effort. So I get it. The more energy that can be conserved for down-hilling the better. 

I look forward to going out there. Maybe we can plan to create an event to replace the Desert Bike Fest. One day at Spider Mountain, camp, drink beer, next day ride Reveille Peak. Saves an eight hour drive too!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cxagent said:

I can confirm Angel Fire is free if you ride up. But two up/down runs was all I was good for in one day. The next day I paid for a lift ticket.

AF and sandia are free and we tried riding up both but just gave up. More work than i was willing to engage in:classic_biggrin:

In the end, the market will determine how much spider can charge, and they'll get it sorted. I think the promo discount for grand opening is a good thing but considering you can basically ride year round in ctx, the pass should be good until 12/31/19 if possible.

I may have missed it, but are there going to be rentals, concessions, and other ways to generate revenue?

Would be cool if they had a affordable family pass!  I think they are having rentals and a store. They also own thunder bird lodge which should generate revenue from lodging, boat ramp and boat rentals. Also i have been told (hearsay) they are planning to build the "Worlds largest" water slide from the top to the lake and build some climbing stuff out there.

Edited by 4fun

On 12/23/2018 at 5:35 AM, AustinBike said:

Are these places "publicly available", ie. are you actively trying to recruit customers?

Let me know. I'm not talking about advertising, but neither of those places is on my site and I drive a lot of traffic from people looking for places to ride...

I'm message you and we will talk more about it!

thanks for the rotors by the way

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll have a jump/skills/bike park at the bottom. A launch ramp with an air bag like that TexPlex place had, plus progressive jump lines, a foam pit... I think that would do well. An area where you could work on the skills that you use up on the runs.

I'd certainly give the place a try at $50 for a day. 

As far as 512 is concerned, I'd give that a go but my perception of the Cat Mtn area is that it is all very advanced. If there were room for progression, I'd be more likely to join. I'm an ok technical rider but I have never been much for jumping, tbh.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:14 PM, cxagent said:

Put another way that is the same as 4 single day passes. One day a month for four months.

Keep in mind that buying land, installing a lift, powering the lift, maintaining the whole place is expensive. And it all has to be paid with lift ticket revenue.

Just curious since I'm not a golfer - what are green fees running these days??? How does a full day on the lift compare with a game of 

Edited by larlev
Wrong post

11 hours ago, Anita Handle said:

I wonder if they'll have a jump/skills/bike park at the bottom. A launch ramp with an air bag like that TexPlex place had, plus progressive jump lines, a foam pit... I think that would do well. An area where you could work on the skills that you use up on the runs.

As far as 512 is concerned, I'd give that a go but my perception of the Cat Mtn area is that it is all very advanced. If there were room for progression, I'd be more likely to join. I'm an ok technical rider but I have never been much for jumping, tbh.

After being off the bike for 8yrs, I could use a area like that. Needless to say my jumping skills are going to need to be started from scratch. Some things are coming back, some seem lost. Haha

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AustinBike said:

It’s just like riding a bike

It's been humbling. Crazy how much has changed. My 08 stumpy had 640mm bars, now mine has 780mm. I see the benefits, but it's taking a little bit to get used to.

Tire sizes are crazy too. These 2.6's are huge. Definitely liking the traction though. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 10:50 PM, Anita Handle said:

there is apparently a common misconception about cat mtn where everybody seems to think the place is nothing but big drops, crazy jumps, or scary features.. while there are a few of those sprinkled about, cat mtn is a great trail system as a whole and offers a shit load of variety. raw, technical, rocky terrain, steep, berms, catch berms, jumps, drops or varying sizes, lumber features, challenging climbs, g-outs, fast flowing trails, off camber stuff, narrow single track with exposure, big gap jumps, jump trails, you name it, its pretty much all there. 

but as I have mentioned before, cat mtn is pretty good about weeding people out who don't belong there. but for those who do seem to belong, people absolutely love it. its my happy place 🙂 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

there is apparently a common misconception about cat mtn where everybody seems to think the place is nothing but big drops, crazy jumps, or scary features.. while there are a few of those sprinkled about, cat mtn is a great trail system as a whole and offers a shit load of variety. raw, technical, rocky terrain, steep, berms, catch berms, jumps, drops or varying sizes, lumber features, challenging climbs, g-outs, fast flowing trails, off camber stuff, narrow single track with exposure, big gap jumps, jump trails, you name it, its pretty much all there. 

but as I have mentioned before, cat mtn is pretty good about weeding people out who don't belong there. but for those who do seem to belong, people absolutely love it. its my happy place 🙂 

I want to ride there really bad. From what I've seen on the tube, I need to get my skill level up like it used to be before even thinking about it.

I truly do appreciate the fact that you guys have spent countless hours doing the work. 

I spent A LOT of hours st Lake Granger yrs ago trying to make it rideable. I totally respect the time and effort it takes.

Looks like a badass place

Edited by larlev

24 minutes ago, Seths Pool said:

Agree here

I did a ride there when it was still damp/wet on an XC bike, with XC tires and still was able to hit some of the features and bypass the ones my 45 y/o body had no business on. The offcamber switchbacks and punchy climbs are enough to push your skillset if youre just looking to improve basic tech and fitness, and get out of the same trails youve been riding for 20 years. The fitness level requirements are one thing that stood out to me more than the features. Bring your legs because you'll be using them to get back up that bastard. I actually saw a couple of guys from houston dry heaving at the top🤢

Overall, it was still an awesome experiece and i'm looking forward to going back.

• Like 3

On 12/22/2018 at 12:17 PM, cxagent said:

This was in the email - 

snip - "Spider Mountain Bike Park offers year-round mountain biking, featuring beginner, intermediate, and advanced trails, all accessible via a four-person chairlift ride.  The bike park features mountain bike and gear rentals, and will be open Fridays through Sundays starting Jan. 18, from 9am to 5pm, plus holidays and spring break. For additional details, visit SpiderMountain.com.

Lift tickets are $50 for adults (ages 19-59) and $45 for all others.  An introductory Spider Mountain Season Pass will be $199 for adults (ages 19-59 years) and $149 for all others, valid Jan. 19 through Apr. 30, 2019.  Power Pass holders also have mountain bike privileges at Spider Mountain in addition to skiing and snowboarding in four different states.  Power Cards and Power Packs may also be used at the bike park.

With a variety of trails for all abilities and 350 feet of vertical, Spider Mountain’s  lift-served bike park features include downhill flow trails, and technical trails with bridges, berms, jumps, and more. The bike park is designed and developed by Hogan Koesis, director of mountain biking for Mountain Capital Partners, which owns and operates Spider Mountain and six ski resorts.  Koesis has more than a decade of experience in the biking industry, designing, developing and constructing trails."

Could it be that this 4 month span is for the "introductory rate", but the pass lasts for a full year? I would be silly to boast year round lift-assist riding but then set a 4 month "season". I know it sure doesn't read that way, but it could be poor phrasing. 

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

This is why I made my offer to you the other day :classic_cool: